No ABR Challenge 2014 (unless someone else wants to take up the reins)

Rederic

Re: No ABR Challenge 2014 (unless someone else wants to take up the reins)

Post by Rederic »

I thought the Cathedral based one was a great idea, so on a similar theme. What about castle's there are load's to choose from and there well spread out
Another idea might be to pick a list of river's and take picture's of bridges crossing them, you could get point's for the number of crossing's that you take
On a similar thing would be finding ford's and getting pictures of them, with bonus points if your in the middle on your bike, it would be a good idea as most of them are on smaller road's, and you might have to get your OS maps out
If your not the lead dog the view never change's
V_King

Post by V_King »

Britain’s natural wonders ?

Britain's castles ?

Brewery tours ? :evil:

Britain’s best drives - there could be start and finish positions, where a rider should get a photo of both (a road sign, or other landmark), the same could be with byways, which could be extra bonus points :)
""
loudpedal

Post by loudpedal »

First of all thanks to Jimbo for his great efforts over the last number of years.
I Loved the Cathedral challenge and was able to get quite a few over the year.

I like the castle idea very much. Some great locations and history.
But limit it to a number of named castles. Like the cathedral and parks challenges before.
Say 10 castles each from England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and The Republic of Ireland. 50 in total.

Any other thoughts?

Loudpedal
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

To keep things simple from an admin and destination point of view how about linking in one or two points of interest within the catchment of something thats already taking place I.E. an ABR Rally?
EG The one at or near the New Forest; a rider would need to have his or her bike with either the Forest or a Pony in the background, and perhaps if there were two locations the other could be the National Motor Museum, IMHO there doesn't have to be a theme just locations, as the original idea was to get people out on their bikes.
I think it could be a win win as the Rallys are being held anyway and they might attract a few more people who otherwise might not have attended.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

I like the castle idea and agree that the number would need limiting. As an added bonus people local to the address could put together a recommended route fit either road or trail to do or not as you please. That would make it worth the trip to those further afield. If any were local to me I would happily put together a couple of GPX files
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

We all seem to be dancing around the photo tagging idea, which I think is the best (IMHO) you could have Picture Tagging that was themed for a limited time, so could still be regional, and have a scoring system.

So from Jan - April Castles, April - July Water falls, July - Oct churches, Oct - Jan remote Phone boxes, we don't have to use those items, but just mixes it up and makes sure you don't run out of places.

You also split the country into areas, and then count up the mileage from Tag to Tag for each region.
mawse

Post by mawse »

Stewie wrote:We all seem to be dancing around the photo tagging idea, which I think is the best (IMHO) you could have Picture Tagging that was themed for a limited time, so could still be regional, and have a scoring system.

So from Jan - April Castles, April - July Water falls, July - Oct churches, Oct - Jan remote Phone boxes, we don't have to use those items, but just mixes it up and makes sure you don't run out of places.

You also split the country into areas, and then count up the mileage from Tag to Tag for each region.
just my thoughts, but i think thats making it complicated.

staying with a simple idea, pick 10 castles in england 10 in ireland 10 in scotty and 10 in wales to be ticked off as an when throughout the year. this would give....

10 tin
20 bronze
30 silver
40 gold
Rederic

Post by Rederic »

mawse wrote:
Stewie wrote:We all seem to be dancing around the photo tagging idea, which I think is the best (IMHO) you could have Picture Tagging that was themed for a limited time, so could still be regional, and have a scoring system.

just my thoughts, but i think thats making it complicated.

staying with a simple idea, pick 10 castles in england 10 in ireland 10 in scotty and 10 in wales to be ticked off as an when throughout the year. this would give....

10 tin
20 bronze
30 silver
40 gold
I think you need to keep it simple, you could make it so you could do a region in a long weekend ?
It would give you a good excuse for a bit of camping or just staying out longer :)
You never know some people might post up a ride out
Anyone up for some castle hunting ?
If your not the lead dog the view never change's
Sprockette

Post by Sprockette »

Castles sounds fantastic. I like a good castle.
JimboF650

Post by JimboF650 »

If this gets up and running, my advice would be get the participant to do most of the admin/scoring etc themselves. Getting people to keep their own running totals this year made it so much easier than previous years.
Sorry guys about pulling out of the running of this, just not getting the time needed to do it. :(
Any advice I can give you know where I am just ask. (thumbs)

Return to “ABR Challenge 2013”