ABR Travel Scrabble - Questions / chat

Mad Cow

Re: ABR Travel Scrabble - Questions / chat

Post by Mad Cow »

Lolo wrote:Its not as easy as it looks. :blink:

Lots of signs are missing and you cannot stop if you have a car up your back wheel :unsure:
I agree!

On my first trip out, I dutifully got off my bike each time and got some nice pics of both sign and bike, like this:
Gosmore.JPG
Gosmore.JPG (77.76 KiB) Viewed 7121 times
However second day out was rather misty and I found a lot of village signs are situated on fast A roads or very narrow back roads, so not many opportunities to park and potentially dangerous.

So I devised the technique of a check of the mirrors, all clear? then indicate, pull over in front of the sign, hazard warning lights on (Really glad I've got them), retrieve camera from "glove box" on top of tank (really glad I've got one of them too), lean back to get plenty of bike in shot, take photo, camera back in glove box, check mirrors, hazards off, indicate and pull away. All done in about 30 seconds, like this.....
Reed.JPG
Reed.JPG (142.51 KiB) Viewed 7121 times
One issue I've had is that I could grab a fair few letters on my daily commute but most of the time I'm riding in the dark and as I discovered last week, the flash has broken on my camera :angry:
LittleHormead.JPG
LittleHormead.JPG (82.35 KiB) Viewed 7121 times
And yes I've come across the missing sign syndrome, like this one....
Throckingmissing.JPG
Throckingmissing.JPG (133.12 KiB) Viewed 7121 times
So Jimbo, does this count the same as the blank tiles you find in a normal scrabble set that can be substituted for any letter? :whistle:
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
Lolo

Post by Lolo »

Mad Cow wrote:
And yes I've come across the missing sign syndrome, like this one....
Throckingmissing.JPG
So Jimbo, does this count the same as the blank tiles you find in a normal scrabble set that can be substituted for any letter? :whistle:
Fab idea :laugh: I might be able to make some words out of the useless set Ive managed to get so far :laugh: :whistle: (not that Ill ever catch up with your speed of collection Mad Cow !!!) ;)
sexysi

Post by sexysi »

Trouble is blank signs are worth nothing. I personally have found a problem on some villages is that a village might have 4 different ways into it but signs on only 2. So then you have to go in and out of the village by every different way just to find the damn sign. I have really perfected your idea of sitting on the bike and just get any part of it in the photo as well as the sign to prove you and the bike where both there.
Si
Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

2013 Triumph tiger 800 xc

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

https://www.youtube.com/user/kentbyways

http://www.kent-byways.co.uk/

Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Sexysi

I must confess that I got the idea of taking photos from the bike from some of your pictures :laugh:

I did notice that another ABR had been doing this (no names :whistle: ) but often the only part of the bike featured in his shots was the nearside mirror!

So I did have this cunning plan to carry a camera and a bike mirror with me whenever I drove anywhere in the car :evil:

OK maybe not!
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

And that photo of the missing sign was taken at a village (Throcking) that has three roads leading into it, only one has a sign and that of course had been taken!

In fact it was the fourth village on that ride and numbers one and two also had missing signs, although they were clearly both the victims of car crashes!
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
JimboF650

Post by JimboF650 »

No blank letters in this game guys. Could be anywhere, any sign.
Glad you're all being careful out there - ride safe.
davem

Post by davem »

I'm pleased I'm not the only one taking quick snapshots leaning back on the bike :blush:

Some of the signs are not in the easiest or safest of places on the road so necessitate a brief stop. Where possible I do try to get off the bike and to get as much of it in the photo as I can but that is probably less than half of my photos... :S
Tigerman1962

Post by Tigerman1962 »

Do finger posts count Jim? for example I went through a tiny hamlet/village called Huxam. It didn't have the normal sign, just at the crossroads on the post was the name of the village with the other locations at the top. I've noticed there are a lot of these on B roads and unclassified roads.....
JimboF650

Post by JimboF650 »

Tigerman1962 wrote:Do finger posts count Jim? for example I went through a tiny hamlet/village called Huxam. It didn't have the normal sign, just at the crossroads on the post was the name of the village with the other locations at the top. I've noticed there are a lot of these on B roads and unclassified roads.....
Hi Tigerman - if it's a directional sign it won't count I'm afraid - if the village doesn't have a sign you'll have to get back on the bike to find another. If you're not sure about some signs, post them anyway and I'll make a decision about it and let you know.

Sorry :)
Earwig

Post by Earwig »

davem wrote:.....Some of the signs are not in the easiest or safest of places on the road....
2013-01-01-Rylstone.jpg
2013-01-01-Rylstone.jpg (22.56 KiB) Viewed 7121 times

Not stopping to gat a photo is not always possible, and dosn't always work!!!

JimboF650 .... Any news on the stickers as yet?

Return to “ABR Challenge 2013”