ABR "Island" Rally 2014

phil.hughes1983

ABR "Island" Rally 2014

Post by phil.hughes1983 »

Looks like it might be a wet weekend but I'm sure it will still be a good laugh. Hopefully the weather reports are wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toblerone

Re: ABR "Island" Rally 2014

Post by Toblerone »

Im going to have to drop out too im afraid :( .

Cheers

Toblerone
'13 Kawasaki Versys

'01 Honda C90

Everything Happens for a Reason

Live n' let Live

http://www.slickpic.com/u/Toblerone
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

phil.hughes1983 wrote:Looks like it might be a wet weekend but I'm sure it will still be a good laugh. Hopefully the weather reports are wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like showers. No worries. will still be good. And theres a decent pub on the island to keep dry in whilst the rain passes.
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Anyone fancy the ford at Garstang on the way home on Sunday? Its just off the M6 so not much of a detour. The below is from Wet Roads. Its a grade 5 ford. Ive seen it, but didn't have the bottle to do it. River was high and chocolate brown when I was there. Suppose it depends on the rain we get over the weekend.

But it will be good to get the salt off the bikes.

Lancashire: Garstang
SD498462 (5*) Off-Roaders Only!
Sent in by John Brown (20/01/2003)

'This must be a contender for the most fearsome monster officially designated as a ford. I approached from the northern end of Garstang town down the obscure Wyre Lane. I soon saw the high footbridge, and then a muddy but clearly well used track dropping down into the 40ft wide and fast flowing River Wyre. (Image 1)

But there was no sign of an exit ramp, so I abandoned ship and went on foot in search of it. From the bridge, there was still no clear indication in either direction...(Image 2 Mouseover sent in by Ken Wales, 05/02/2006)

... so I followed the footpath downstream, pacing out about 120yds until I came to another muddy but still well used ramp (Image 3: it's about 10yds this side of the white sign visible in the view from the bridge)

Although I was in a high 4x4 that is well used to fording South American rivers, I'm afraid that, being on my own, I chickened out of this one! Later, on the eastern approach, I came across this old sign - good Lancashire understatement! (Image 4)'

Account sent in by Dave Bamber
'I gave it a go as we have had very little rain recently and river levels are low. I started on the opposite side to Garstang after a quick recce on foot, from the bank and over the footbridge. I estimated the depth at my start point to be about 7 inchs, once past this, the river bed is exposed and just damp. I headed for the left bank, Garstang side, as it seemed the shallower option, well shallower but still about 8-9 inchs. I didn't stop to measure! I turned round and had and other go, and then another! The last run scared me as I stayed more in the centre of the river at the Garstang exit and it went a bit deep, like up to the wheel centre of my Land Rover (13inchs!!) I got through ok though and lived to tell the tail. I wouldn't recommend doing this one with much more water and a stronger current, or a snorkel.'

'On the Garstang side of the ford there is a safety line painted on the foot bridge foundation, allthough I have been through the ford with water well over the top of my wheels, (Frontera) I would not recomend it, I have seen this river in very wet weather eith the water level at the top of the entrance ramp!!!' Pete ?

'Don't approach the garstang exit from downstream but at 90 degrees from the river centre, the water came up onto the windscreen.' Ken Wales

'If you enter from the Garstang side keep right next to the bank, don't be tempted to aim for the middle shale island, drive down until you are level with the shale island then turn left on to it, stop for some pics then continue down the centre of the river, and drive slightly past the exit then turn sharp left to go up the exit. I have found this method ok for standard 4x4s as long as the water doesn't cover the rough concrete foundations of the bridge pillars. Jonathan McKeown

Finally, Image 5 shows Paul Manners testing the depth.
Ashley

Post by Ashley »

yes I'm happy to give this a go, but then again I did stupidly let you talk me into trying to get up the hill of doom. :dry:
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Ashley wrote:yes I'm happy to give this a go, but then again I did stupidly let you talk me into trying to get up the hill of doom. :dry:

hmmm, the way I remember it is that I tried a few times and failed. Lots of swearing and sweating later you decide to have a go! Nowt to do with me fella! Think Ill send you into the ford first though to test the depth. But then again, Im sure Tea007 will be up for this, lets send him in first.
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Ashley wrote:yes I'm happy to give this a go, but then again I did stupidly let you talk me into trying to get up the hill of doom. :dry:
And cool avatar Ashley. Wonder who took that photo!
chrisinflight

Post by chrisinflight »

Crikey :woohoo:
Gonna be a wet one! Guess we`ll all be in the pub till closing time. (thumbs)

Mike, I`ve done that ford in garstang, so have many on here. IMO we are going to have too much rain this weekend to attempt it on sunday. Think 3 ft. deep :laugh:
Forecast could turn out wrong though so lets see.
cheers,
chris

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weat ... 1402095600
2016 Beta 300rr- In the 2 stroke come-back club!

tea007

Post by tea007 »

If your sat reading this thread and thinking should I go or stay
Let's just say myself (tea007) 300 miles and phil 19lot younger than me is coming from Brighton
His boyfriend is working this wkd

Get yourself on this trip
Not everyday you get trapped on an island
With a bar

Tea007
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

tea007 wrote:If your sat reading this thread and thinking should I go or stay
Let's just say myself (tea007) 300 miles and phil 19lot younger than me is coming from Brighton
His boyfriend is working this wkd

Get yourself on this trip
Not everyday you get trapped on an island
With a bar

Tea007
Agree with Tea, its a great opportunity to do something you normally wont get the chance to. Lets not forget Piel is a private island and they do not normally let "riders" cross the sands like we have permission to do. And if you want a more spirited sand run the trail riding group will be doing the beach byway prior to the crossing. This is a good chance to test the bikes at cough cough speed through the soft sand, and down along the sea front on the hard compact sands.

Weather doesn't look great, but when has that stopped people having fun! A nice warm pub to spend the night in on the island.

Great yer names down and come and join in.

Return to “ABR Piel Island Rally June 6th-8th 2014”