Post by James691 »

sorted ;)
Dancing in the moonlight
Lee

Re: ABR NATURE RALLY 2011 - Help and Tips

Post by Lee »

Cheers James

I'll kick this off then.

Dartmoor: If coming down M5 from up-country, suggest coming off at Exeter and picking up the B3212. This road runs through some lovely wooded valleys to Moretonhampstead before heading out across the open moors. Dartmoor itself has a 40mph speed limit on all roads within the park, and to be honest with all the sheep wandering around it's a good idea. As you trundle along the B3212 you'll pass the Warren House Inn (nice place for a spot of lunch), before you reach Postbridge (stop off and see the ancient clapper bridge with the tourists). Before you get to Princetown you'll also pass Two Bridges (a hotel / pub that takes it's name from the two bridges that cross the same river at the same point - one of the bridges is now in their carpark).

Princetown itself has a couple of pubs and is best known as the site of the HM Prison. As you come in on the B3212 you'll come to a mini roundabout - the Visitor Centre is directly oposite on the right with the Prince of Wales crest high above the entrance. On your left at the roundabout is the Plume of Feathers pub which has a campsite in the back and serves food in the evenings. It can get very busy on a nice weekend, but the staff are friendly and there's a great atmosphere. For a taste of the moors, set up your tent then take a walk out of the beck of the pub. You'll be greeted by stunning views down over South Hessary Tor towards Burrator Reservoir and on a clear day all the way out to Plymouth.

If appropriate head out on the B3357 towards Merrivale (bronze-age stone circles) and Tavistock, before picking up the A366 to Okehampton and from there you have a fast run back to Exeter on the A30, or you can head out towards North Devon and eventually cross to Dulverton (but that's for another day).
In June this year I undertook the whole Nature Rally in one trip, in aid of Riders for Health

You can read about it at http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... s-now.html

please support me at http://www.justgiving.com/leeparsons-naturerally
900Fantrider

Post by 900Fantrider »

Would someone please please confirm which is Itchycoo park! Ive googled it, google street mapped it, google earthed it and there is no definate answer!(it even takes you to Germany)
Manor Park? Little Ilford Park? Valentine Park? or is it MANOR PARK ISLAMIC CULTURAL CENTRE, LONDON, 724, ROMFORD ROAD?????

Weve got a big dumping of snow due this afternoon in Yorks so the ride down tomorrow going to take a while so I`d rather just get in & get out so to speak.

Come on James, which one is it? Tell us Tell us ;)
Too many Cagiva Elefants, Gran Canyons and Ducatis!
Azzalin SP and various others.
James691

Post by James691 »

[video][/video]

Tell you what I'll do - I'd like to go there now with you - Hmmm but I can't as I will be going the Ace on Sunday :laugh: :laugh:

I looked into this one when I was doing the rally and it was obscure! I liked that and would be happy with any justification from the reading of The Small Faces would have made to your answer for the destination. I like Hippy random :lol:

I tend to think that he was talking about Little Ilford Park as his stomping ground. ;)

Peace Man B)
Dancing in the moonlight
James691

Post by James691 »

Song profile
"Itchycoo Park" was released by mod band The Small Faces in August, 1967. Together with "Lazy Sunday", "Tin Soldier" and "All or Nothing", the song is one of the band's biggest hits and has become a classic of its time.

The song reached number 16 in the American Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1968.

Long running British music magazine NME cites readers poll voting "Itchycoo Park" number 62 out of the top 100 singles of all time.

"Itchycoo Park" climbed to the top of the charts again when it was re-released on 13 December 1975.

It is one of a number of songs from the late sixties to feature flanging (the audio effect).

InspirationThe song was first thought of, and largely written, by Ronnie Lane, who had been reading a leaflet on the virtues of Oxford which mentioned its dreaming spires.

A number of sources claim the song's name is derived from the nickname of Little Ilford Park, on Church Road in the London suburb of Manor Park, where Small Faces' singer and song-writer Steve Marriott grew up. The "itchycoo" nickname is, in turn, attributed to the stinging nettles which grew there. Other sources cite nearby Wanstead Flats (Manor Park end) as the inspiration for the song.

Small Faces manager Tony Calder came up with the well-known story when Marriott was told the BBC had banned the song for its overt drug references, Calder confirms:

"We scammed the story together, we told the BBC that Itchycoo Park was a piece of waste ground in the East End that the band had played on as kids - we put the story out at ten and by lunchtime we were told the ban was off." - Tony Calder (Manager)

Ronnie Lane on the true location of Itchycoo Park:

"It's a place we used to go to in Ilford years ago. Some bloke we know suggested it to us because it's full of nettles and you keep scratching". - Ronnie Lane

Other possible etymologies
Another local park, in the nearby town of Ilford, called Valentines Park, was also often referred to as Itchycoo Park.

Itchy Park is located in the East End of London and dates back to the Victorian era.

The hairy seeds from the Rose hip (or wild Dog Rose) were called "Itchycoos" by English children in the 1950s[citation needed] The seeds could be broken out of the berry and dropped down someone's collar between shirt and back to cause itching.
Dancing in the moonlight
900Fantrider

Post by 900Fantrider »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I knew all that, Ive got the vinyl of it from my spell as a skinhead riding scooterist!
I think the easiest is the Islamic Centre then! :) Because theres no real gates to the park with signs although the Cremitorium Entrance at Manor Park looks good.
Too many Cagiva Elefants, Gran Canyons and Ducatis!
Azzalin SP and various others.
James691

Post by James691 »

Mate, if you want to turn up at the Islamic Centre and take pictures in a motorbike helemt, wear a camel pack for that added bit of adventure - Then I am ALL for it. Your bike does 0 -60 in what? :laugh: :laugh:

I should have picked Finsbury Park!!

I think one has been done of the park and posted up in the section - I will have to find it. But I'm for the Islamic Centre idea! If you can get the Imman to hold your rally card I'll give you a credit on the rally!
Dancing in the moonlight
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Typical, just found this thread after plotting all the locations into mapsource.. did find a slight discrepency though with.. strangley enough 'Little Ilford Park' or Ithcycoo.. the address given, 724 Romford Rd. is in the high street, but the park is located sort of 'round the corner' I know this area a bit (the only one on the list) so it might be a bit awkward to find..
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Sleepy wrote:Typical, just found this thread after plotting all the locations into mapsource.. did find a slight discrepency though with.. strangley enough 'Little Ilford Park' or Ithcycoo.. the address given, 724 Romford Rd. is in the high street, but the park is located sort of 'round the corner' I know this area a bit (the only one on the list) so it might be a bit awkward to find..
Little Ilford Park AKA Itchycoo Park can be found in Gaisborough Ave E12.
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG (53.37 KiB) Viewed 2962 times
Hope this helps,
Mark
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
Peejay

Re: ABR Nature Rally Garmin Waypoints

Post by Peejay »

Mark1961 wrote:Nice one Womble,

If you’ve got Garmin mapsource software. Open the above file then go to ‘save as’ and save it in GPS eXchange format (.gpx) then you can open it in Google Earth, Memory Map etc.

Mapsource 1.JPG

Now go to FILE then SAVE AS then use the dropdown menu SAVE AS TYPE select GPS EXCHANGE FORMAT (.gpx)
Mapsource 2.JPG
As a point of interest if you don't have MapSource, you can still open the file straight into Google Earth.
What am I doing wrong????

Have followed the above, I have mapsource, but it wont let me open the document!
How do I open it in google maps? then save?
BMW R1200 GS Adventure

KTM 990 R Adventure

Wheresoever you go. Go with all your heart.

Return to “ABR NATURE RALLY 2011”