17Lancaster MickLancaster BMW R1200GS

Alphadog43

Re: 17Lancaster MickLancasterF650GS

Post by Alphadog43 »

I hope you had a good trip "the long way home" :)

At least you got to go some where new on your bike and thats never a waste of time :whistle:
Lancastermick

Post by Lancastermick »

..and now Glentrool goes in the bag! Tidy! :) ;)

Photo0210.jpg
Photo0210.jpg (123.96 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
"Man needs difficulties, they are necessary for health." - Carl Jung
Lancastermick

Post by Lancastermick »

A wet Brecon Beacons goes in the bag. After picking up a laptop from Russ (Digitalcaptive? a very nice bloke) on friday down in Ibstock (Leicestershire), I figured I'd bag some rally points while the freedom tokens allowed. A short detour to check out Treadtrader's biscuit barrel and brewmaking skills (Dave and Elaine?? are two of the nicest people you could hope to meet) and then Westwards in the hope of avoiding the ominous thunderclouds. Sadly, the rain enveloped me in Ledbury and kept me company all the way to Brecon. By the time I got there it was 8:30ish and I was in no mood for carrying on. The visitor centre was deserted and there were no signs prohibiting camping, so I took the obligatory photo, headed to the bottom of the car park and set up camp. From getting off the bike, within literally 2 minutes I had all my gear inside the assembled tent and started cooking up some pasta (I'll have to write a review on my tent at some point because Khyam deserve a slap on the back and you guys deserve to know about it). Wet gear drying in the porch and the trangia using the remnants of it's fuel up to throw some heat my way. I settled down, drank my coffee, had a smoke and declared the day a success. :)

Photo0225.jpg
Photo0225.jpg (39.2 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
Photo0226.jpg
Photo0226.jpg (43.74 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
Photo0230.jpg
Photo0230.jpg (25.7 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
Photo0232.jpg
Photo0232.jpg (48.7 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
these pics are taken on my mobile...I took the last pic in "night time" mode according to the phone so am interested to see if it looks any clearer when it's bigger. :huh:
Lancastermick

Re: 17Lancaster MickLancaster1200GS

Post by Lancastermick »

Up at six, dried out my pants with the hand-dryer in the unlocked disabled loo at the Brecon Visitor centre, had a coffee, packed up and headed for my next rally conquest...Newport. A beautiful run over from Brecon dried out my gear and put a smile on my face. This was the first time that I'd explored this part of the world and it was definately worth waiting until I could do it on a bike in the sunshine. Great views, great roads and some eyepopping hidden hairpin descents. Finally found the Visitor Centre in Newport, an unassuming little cottage with a modest sign on the wall outside (no brown signs point it out as you go through Newport....coming from the East, you'll reach a crossroads in the centre of the village (town?), take a right and it's just 100 yards down on the right. Picture taken, I headed North along the awesome coastline up to Aberystwith and cut East onto the A44 (wow..what a road...very fortunate to hit it with a clear run in the dry) and then on accross to Shrewsbury and North back to Lancaster. Cracking stuff and on my way for a Rally silver! ;) :)
Photo0233.jpg
Photo0233.jpg (45.27 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
Photo0235.jpg
Photo0235.jpg (57.65 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

Nice to see ya Mick, allways welcome at our place for a brew or overnight stop.

And it's Eunice, or Yoony on here mate. :lol:
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
JimboF650

Post by JimboF650 »

Is that 10? - Good going Mick!
Lancastermick

Post by Lancastermick »

Treadtrader wrote:Nice to see ya Mick, allways welcome at our place for a brew or overnight stop.

And it's Eunice, or Yoony on here mate. :lol:
:woohoo: Eunice!!! I'd been wracking my goldfish brain for bloody ages trying to remember! I knew it began with an E though! Sorry Eunice this is no slight upon your loveliness, just more evidence of my own shite memory!! :)

It generally takes a decent conversation with someone to stick a name to a face...so it looks like I'll have to pop down again at some point for that curry! ;)
Lancastermick

Post by Lancastermick »

Yup! That's ten in the bag. My problem now is that I desperately need to start saving money for my trip down to Spain in July. So I guess that's gonna screw access to the Scottish and Southern England rally points until Autumn at least! :dry:
JimboF650

Post by JimboF650 »

Congratulations!!! You have achieved your 'ABR Nature Rally - Bronze Award'
17 Lancaster Mick_Bronze.jpg
17 Lancaster Mick_Bronze.jpg (92.52 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
James691

Re: 17Lancaster MickLancaster BMW R1200GS

Post by James691 »

Congratulations Mick ;) lets see who can bag a silver award first :whistle:
Dancing in the moonlight