My take on the rally and a few pics

The ABR Rally season kicks off in Takoda Camping, Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria
africajim

My take on the rally and a few pics

Post by africajim »

Well, it was a long hard run down from the NE of Scotland, 08.00 we left and didn't arrive until well after 17.00! Five of us left the Hungry Highlander after the place being good enough to open early and feed us for our long run so much thanks to the staff there in Braemar.
We got down to the site to be greeted by Paul who in turn introduced us to Marie. A lovely couple who warmly welcomed us to their new campsite. We then got the tents up and went into town in search of provisions (beer) so we could settle down to the curry night! A good night was had, scoffed heaps of beer to wash down the lovely curry we had. We returned to our pitch and settled down to a night of chatting and drinking! We were joined by Alun and Dave (TT) and continued to have a good blether over a nice single malt, The Singleton of Dufftown, a lovely Speyside malt.
The next morning breakfast followed the arrival of a good mate of mine from the XRV forum, Hudders. While discussing a route for the day Hudders reluctantly offered his services as a guide for our small party of eight. A lovely ride through what can only be described as gorgeous stunning countryside with a couple of "brew" stops and a brilliant lunch in the Tan hill inn.
After a good days ride we returned to the campsite for some supper and a damned good drink! We concluded the evening in one of the local pubs, the one with the dancing dog! At closing time we staggered back to the site and collapsed into our tents, a good day had!
In the morning it was very cold as a clear sky had brought on a grass frost, a mere -2 but cold enough for being in a tent! We eventually got up and made breakfast before packing up and saying our goodbyes. A lovely run in blue skies back up to the NE of Scotland, leaving at 11.15 we arrived back home just after 20.00. Tired but very happy we retired for an early night, glad to be back in our bed!
Special thanks to Alun for without the ABR magazine and forum there would not have been a rally, to Paul and Maria for being so warm and welcoming, To Hudders for leading our trip for the day, cheers Simon! Also to SteveT for planning a route and showing us the way down to the rally.
Fiona and myself enjoyed ourselves immensely, we will definitely return to Kirkby Stephen, a lovely central stopping place for touring Yorkshire. Recommend Takoda campsite, we will be back!
The Boil rally was a resounding success and long may it continue! Bring on the next one! Well done ABR!
Great to meet some of the stars of the forum, Craigrevo and Davsato were even bigger in real life! LOL!
A big well done to my Fiona, watching her lines improve following coaching from myself and SteveT her riding was up there with seasoned professionals! Well done baby!
Here's some pics, mean more to me but you've seen all the the other one's!

SteveT, the man in action!
SteveT.jpg
SteveT.jpg (107.39 KiB) Viewed 8648 times
Here's my ride for the day, just before I dropped it!
Vara_2011-04-19.jpg
Vara_2011-04-19.jpg (222.8 KiB) Viewed 8648 times
Here's Hudders havin a brew!
Hudders havin a brew.jpg
Hudders havin a brew.jpg (191.69 KiB) Viewed 8648 times
My Fiona and myself
Fiona and me.jpg
Fiona and me.jpg (186.32 KiB) Viewed 8648 times
Finally, women in a pub!
women.jpg
women.jpg (105.04 KiB) Viewed 8648 times
Honda, the power of dreams.
CRAIGREVO

Re: My take on the rally and a few pics

Post by CRAIGREVO »

Great right up and pictures Jim, it was good to meet you and Fiona after reading all your posts on here I felt I sort of knew you already. ;)
digitalcaptive

Post by digitalcaptive »

Nice write up Jim, really pee'd off I couldn't make it (I don't normally let hudders out on his own (he gets into all sorts of trouble :laugh: ) but at least there was a responsible adult there to keep an eye on him.......there were responsible adults there wasn't there Jim? :woohoo:
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

Nice report Jim, with some great pics. :laugh:

It was really good to meet you at last, see you again soon. ;)
Contact email [email protected] or pm.

Return to “ABR FIRST TO THE BOIL RALLY APRIL 15th 2011”