Ride report North route

The 'up north' ABR Rally in Ullapool, Scotland
africajim

Ride report North route

Post by africajim »

The Highland simmer.

The Highland simmer started on Friday morning for me, the bike was washed, polished and loaded up ready to go on Thursday so when Dave Copeland turned up at 09.30 we headed off for Ullapool. The weather was a mixed bag on the way up but mostly dry. We pitched up the tent and started mingling with the other folk there. Provisions bought, we settled down for the night meeting others on the site and listening to the tales of the Beemer that went down on the motorway and Yamahas upside down in ditches! Others will elaborate on these stories I'm sure! My memory of the Friday night is a bit vague to say the least! A few ciders and much whisky was drank, so a good night was had. Much discussion and finalising the organisation for the Saturday runs was covered among other stuff!
The Saturday morning started off dry, a briefing was held at 09.30 and we all went our seperate ways at 10.00. I led a party of 13, lucky for some! We headed off north to Durness, a light drizzle obscured the scenery for the first few miles but dried up and the Highlands came to life! We stopped for a pic at Ardvreck castle then on to Durness for lunch. The food was good and much apreciated.
After lunch we headed east to Tongue then south to Lairg for our afternoon tea break. The falls of Shin visitor centre gave us an opportunity to see Al Fayed,,, well,,, a waxwork of him! A very realistic likeness of him I thought! Luckily with the rain rising the water levels the salmon were running up the river so a great display at the falls of Shin was had! The return to Ullapool was a spirited ride for a couple of us! 193 miles of the cream of Highland roads and scenery was had, as Alun said himself, you have to actually see it to believe the beauty and splendour!
Saturday night was a bit tamer on the body, I stuck to beer! After a nice shower I chatted with a few folk then headed off to bed as a long day was had. There was an altercation between some members of our party and a rather large woman that I missed out on but I'm sure others could elabourate on!
Sunday morning was a pack up and say goodbye day for most of us, back to work on Monday unfortunately, (Although the weather was supposed to deteriorate through the day). A lovely ride over to the Skiach services was had where we had a bite and a coffee before taking part in the MAG protest run from Tore down through Inverness.
The weekend was a roaring success and I'd just like to thank all for turning up. Hopefully this will become an annual event and there will be many more to come. Here's a few pics to make you smile!

us way home.jpg
us way home.jpg (258.27 KiB) Viewed 9368 times
the beach.jpg
the beach.jpg (256.29 KiB) Viewed 9368 times
the bike.jpg
the bike.jpg (253.59 KiB) Viewed 9368 times
Fiona Fayed.jpg
Fiona Fayed.jpg (163.56 KiB) Viewed 9368 times
Honda, the power of dreams.
Opsman

Re: Ride report North route

Post by Opsman »

Thanks Craig. First time on one of your runs, and 2 new roads travelled. I hope to join you on some more. Thanks to the lads who waved to me in the breakdown truck on the M74 after the Tigers cush drive disintegrated.
Peter Halstead.
africajim

Post by africajim »

Craig? Who's Craig? Are you on drugs?
Honda, the power of dreams.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Opsman wrote:Thanks Craig. First time on one of your runs, and 2 new roads travelled. I hope to join you on some more. Thanks to the lads who waved to me in the breakdown truck on the M74 after the Tigers cush drive disintegrated.
Peter Halstead.
that was paul and i we recognized your tiger just a shame you could not make it all the way home but at least you stayed dry :)

adam
Paul

Post by Paul »

Opsman wrote:Thanks Craig. First time on one of your runs, and 2 new roads travelled. I hope to join you on some more. Thanks to the lads who waved to me in the breakdown truck on the M74 after the Tigers cush drive disintegrated.
Peter Halstead.
With the rain lashing down I truly wished my crush drive had gone, you looked nice and comfy in that breakdown truck as I passed....

Return to “ABR HIGHLAND SIMMER RALLY - 23/25th SEPT 2011”