ABR Holy Grail Rally 2012 - register here.

Join the Crusade
johnzxr750

Re: ABR Holy Grail Rally 2012 - register here.

Post by johnzxr750 »

nice to see my idea of a landmarks type thing is going well count me in for what i can get tho what are we letting ourselves into god knows but it should be fun :woohoo: j
johnny
zx7r soon to be a tigger
:woohoo: j
Vindaloo

Post by Vindaloo »

Vindaloo
KTM 990 Adventure

Was sitting being indecisive about a number for ages and then cracked it ... 36 is the number of lamb vindaloo in my local take-away's menu) :laugh: ;)
James691

Post by James691 »

johnzxr750 wrote:nice to see my idea of a landmarks type thing is going well

huh?? :huh:
Dancing in the moonlight
johnzxr750

Post by johnzxr750 »

ahhh james you see my comment of that was when i first joined the forum. i said with all the abr's here why didint abr mag/web/forum put up a landmarks type quest for the readers and riders out there.bsh(back street heroes) used to put up a map of uk and ireland with say 20 m/c related places for us nutters to visit and send in fotos (like harley or norton etc). usual prize was a mug or tshirt sometimes a sbuscriptions for completing all the landmarks with best fotos.
j
James691

Post by James691 »

Oh right! :)

Never heard of it mate, I have heard of BSH, not really paid that much attention as I think it was mainly Custom jobs? But it sounds rather like the Round Britain Rally, where you have a number of landmarks to reach and photograph over a 12 month period; it’s been running for years, it started its life back in the 1970’s with the Norton Owners Club I think! Then came back with a vengeance in 1993 and have had coming up to 20 years of consecutive landmark rally fun around the UK. So over 40 years ago bikers had been doing landmark rallies – not a new concept by any means! There are a few that do this sort of rally event, such as the Iron Butt guys that have of course a location rally over 11,000 miles in 11 days, photographic and receipt proof is required, done in the USA. :woohoo:

This idea was born from me creating a rally last year for the National Parks and Forests in England, Scotland and Wales – based on an idea from the USA Iron Butt Association and credit given to them, only without the time / distance element.

So, sat in a pub at the ABR Boil Rally with Alun, Scouse and Treadtrader we had some (rather drunken :blush: ) ideas on the ABR 2012 Rally – We had thought of Cheese at one point in the evening!

I came up with the idea that last year was based on nature and this year would be based around buildings – beautiful buildings at that, Castles was already running with another group so I thought of Cathedrals. That got me looking at some places around the UK and Glastonbury had the hit ‘King Arthur’ as did a few others – That lead me onto thinking about Don Quixote and his crazy quest on his faithful horse. We ride ‘iron horses’ and so the two became an idea – The ABR Quest for the Holy Grail. B)

Taking in set geographical locations of buildings with an added twist of a mythical background that linked with many of the religious buildings I had selected. The Arthur and Grail legend run all over the world and that was not doable in full, in the UK the main areas are Cornwall and Wales and that alone does not make the most of a 12 month rally – so you have what you see before you.

It was then pointed out, and rightly so, by an Irish forum member, that there were no locations in Ireland! :blush: So I added a few more locations over in Ireland and you have the finished result before you.

I had thought of landmarks but dismissed the idea as the Round Britain Rally focuses on things like ‘Angel of the North’ and so on and I wanted the ABR Rally to have a quest fun element.

I’ve not seen your thread about landmarks or recall us ever having a chat about landmarks and or Cathedrals, hence why the ‘glad to see my idea’ took me a tad by surprise – but the BSH rally sounds bloody good fun! I’m pleased to see you’re signing up to this one and I’m very pleased you like my idea for the ABR quest rally 2012. :)
Dancing in the moonlight
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

Tyrant68
KTM 640 Adventure
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
johnzxr750

Post by johnzxr750 »

johnny
zx7r
Womble

Post by Womble »

Womble
V-Strom 650

Confused, sure I'd registered ages ago, but can't spot me name - forgetfulness with age!
Enfield Himalayan... apparently they're Marmite... not keen on Marmite, but like Vegemite
YBR125... the little adventure steed of awesomeness
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

Please register me

dubber68
DL1000
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
Toblerone

Post by Toblerone »

Hi James.

Could you change my bike from the Yamaha Jog RR to Yamaha YBR 125. My rally no is 25.

Thanks

Toblerone
'13 Kawasaki Versys

'01 Honda C90

Everything Happens for a Reason

Live n' let Live

http://www.slickpic.com/u/Toblerone

Return to “ABR Holy Grail Rally 2012”