for sale items....locked thread?

Have some feedback and input to share? Don't be shy and drop us a note. We want to hear from you and strive to make this site better and more user friendly for our guests and members a like.
Tramp

for sale items....locked thread?

Post by Tramp »

Is it possible for the "for sale or wanted" thread to be changed from a free for all posting to just the original post..maybe a submission facility with the option to then ask mods or higher authority ;) to change the original post..

The reason for this is for some strange [to me] reason people just post [to me] unwanted posts or views..yes its a open forum but the recent activity has put a lot of members off selling stuff..

Surely the info is there for all to see if interested and if people want to contact them about buying or have something wanted they can "pm" the member direct..

just my thoughts etc.. ;) a ebay or whatever link is helpful too..

do people phone up adtrader adds to say "owe thats nice" i`ve got one of them or other drivel... :whistle:
Treadtrader

Re: for sale items....locked thread?

Post by Treadtrader »

As with any thread on here, you can hit the button "Report to moderator" and request the thread is locked.
A mod will the consider the request.
For sale ads being locked makes sense, but, every post does push the ad back to the top of the list.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
jasext

Post by jasext »

It sometimes helps others stop being ripped off, i have seen many items over the years being advertised for a lot more than can be bought for new.
This happens especially to people just joining a forum and are new to the scene and think they're getting a bargain.
Also give s free bump .
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

I think it works both ways. Ive sold items where people have posted to say they have the same or used to own one and agree its a good bit of kit and wish me luck with the sale. Thats obviously a good thing and just backs up your own pitch.
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Jelly

Post by Jelly »

Russ, you're a miserable old git. :P

What's wrong with a bit of conversation around the item for sale, and as Jasext says, it gets free bumps.

And I've never got this 'off topic' mullarkey either, I've always looked at a thread as a virtual conversation, no one knows where it may lead.

And now I feel better for 'hijacking' your thread. ;)
"The distant echo of faraway voices boarding far away trains,

To take them home to the ones that they love and who love them forever......."
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Well Jelly..if I was to sell my body........

who'd want a bit of it..lol :laugh:
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

I don't like it when people post negative opinions or critise the price.

Those same people wouldn't like it if they advertised something that they thought was a reasonable bit of kit for a fair price, then other people started posting their negative opinions on it and reducing the their chances.

It's up to the buyer to decide whether the quality matches what they need.

If it's too expensive either it won't sell for the asking price and the seller will eventually realise they need to drop it, or if it does sell then the buyer clearly was happy to pay that price for it. Also, only the seller can acertain what it's worth to him, if he paid £100 for it 6 months ago, he might decide he wants 60% of that back and ask £60 for it. It's worth whatever the buyer is prepared to pay.

Endorsements, bumps, etc are fine, but if you think it's crap or too expensive keep quiet. Nobody elses business except the buyer and the seller. If it's being sold for more than it can be bought new I kind of understand it and I'd feel like posting a link to the new item too, but if somebody buying something second hand hasn't already checked that for themselves, then they are a bit of a muppet anyway.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

For those with a delicate nature a "classifieds" section where the advert is posted, then locked with all discussion by PM. And any advert soon drops out of the front page into oblivion, unless someone does a search and hopes your spelling / buzz words are the same as yours.

And, a for sale section where positive / negative /neutral comments can be made, and any comment stops it falling into oblivion.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Try selling a mobile phone on Ebay if you want real hassle :)

Selling items on an open forum is always going to be a difficult one because you'll get different opinions ranging from "wow, that's a bargain and I hope it sells straight away" to "they're only £x brand new" with a quick visit to "they're crap and fall apart" stuck in the middle but there has to be some room for discussion or you might as well just throw it on Ebay and hope for the best.

I've sold a couple of things on here and also bought some and never had a problem. It helps if you exchange phone numbers and actually get a fair description of the item before fixing a price but as always it's caveat emptor above all else.
ZX Raziel

Post by ZX Raziel »

I think that if the Mods delete the comments like "noone wants that old piece of junk"
and similar , the for sale section would be much cleaner .
And if someone think that the item is overpriced , he can point it out in grown up civilized and polite way without insulting the seller .

Return to “SUGGESTION BOX”