Mag contents

Have some feedback and input to share? Don't be shy and drop us a note. We want to hear from you and strive to make this site better and more user friendly for our guests and members a like.
Mike101

Mag contents

Post by Mike101 »

Afternoon all,

please can i ask for something to be int eh mag in future. I like the articles on peoples adventures and what they get up to but for me there is not enough about the bikes.

Any chance we can start to have some articles about normal members bikes what they have done to them etc.

I'd like to see lots of small articles about problems and fixes on different models of bikes and real life reviews of bikes and kit that people have owned for years and not just new things.

Just a thought.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Em-J

Re: Mag contents

Post by Em-J »

Hi Mike 101,

Thanks for your suggestions on features for the mag - we love getting input and ideas from readers.

If you look back on some of the older issues of ABR you'll see we did run a feature very similar to the one you're suggesting called 'My Bike'. In it, readers chatted about their bike, the various mods and farkles they'd made, the kit they used, gave a mini review of how it had performed over time on various terrain and trips, and any quirks or peculiarities of the model they'd experienced and how they'd overcome them.

The feature ground to a bit of a halt because there was a shortage of readers (willing victims!) getting in touch with us to share their bike stories, but if you'd like to take the plunge (or anyone else!) it would be great to bring it back! Get in touch at [email protected]

Thanks again, Em
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

It would be great to see a few more bike tests, and not just new ones. In fact I'd love to see a sort of secondhand buyers guide, problems to look for, guide prices for the different ages and typical repairs. Classic & Sportscar do something similar each month, and it's great for giving people an idea of what they might get into buying an older vehicle.

And it's rally season coming up, so a great chance for you guys to have a look at our bikes and even a bit of a ride.

Can't wait for ABR's road test of my Derbi, mind you Alun wouldn't even sit on it last year in case the lack of cubic capacity sucked out his big engined soul. ;)
Happiness has 125cc ...
Bianchi

Post by Bianchi »

Hi Em-J, I think one of the reasons that the write ups in the mag stalled because total lazy journalism.

What I mean, use are wanting people to buy a bike, modify it, take pictures of the modifications, tell you how much it costs, then send the whole article to use just for you to print it in the mag at no cost to use whatsoever and no incentive for the bike owner to do so.....

I have been to several rally's and even seen Alun at some of them but I have never seen anyone from ABR with their camera and note pad out gathering information on the bike, rider and its modifications. So maybe one of the journalists from the mag should get his finger out and go get some articles instead of waiting for them to drop into his inbox!

Cheers
Dave
davsato

Post by davsato »

im bored of reading about GSs though.
and seeing pics of GSs.
i like GSs, but enough already.
so unless its something original, please dont.
Dave
FMFox

Post by FMFox »

I used to find that section one of the parts of the magazine that i looked forward to the most, I'd happily contribute to it's return.

I've already written a mini review about our bikes for our round the world trip here

currently traveling the world on a CCM SR40
africajim

Post by africajim »

Well, I did a perfectly good article on the Mighty Varadero, backed up with touring mods and plenty of high quality pics! It's not a GS! I was glad to do the article, I saw it as helping a fledgling mag get off the ground, but the charity ends there I'm afraid.
I could also do one on the Africa Twin, over 100k miles over six bikes, I think I'm qualified to do a write up on them?
I could also do one on the new all singing all dancing Honda VFR1200x Crosstourer as I've just had my first season on mine, bound to be of interest as it's a nice alternative to the GS?
But, we come to Bianchi's statement regarding expectations of the mag. You can only live on other peoples merits for nothing for so long. Am I expected to pay good money for the mag to read stories written and provided by me free of charge?
That's a bit of a liberty I would say. Perhaps the journo's working on the mag should get out and provide the much needed content, or the powers that be may have to consider paying people like me who have owned and modified their bikes to write articles for them?
I agree that more personal interest articles are required, and not just trips to Morocco but local ride reports. Mike Beddows' articles were good, so something around that sort of basis but from around the country, not just the green lanes which we don't have up here in Scotland. Although there are plenty of good reports on the roads in the Highlands that would be of interest to all ABR's.

Just my tuppence worth, hope nobodies offended by them!
Honda, the power of dreams.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

..I THINK....Its a hard thing to balance as the forum and mag are totally different..some. Threads on here move so fast its hard to keep track..they are imformative and include pics and vids..something a short mag article could never hope to emulate..
yes some mag readers never get on here and this forum covers a huge group of people from all background thats why I like it B) ..

and no one would care to read about me and my crazy antics on my abused transalp..its all been said and shown already..

what I dont like :ohmy: is the way that manufacturer`s products are tested..we just get a page report with pics and brief info..I can get that off the internet...

How about for example 5 ABR riders [who ever they may be] get the products and do a road test..like heated clothing..ride to Berlin and back in winter..now that would be worth reading..

And winter socks test..in some cold winter zone..

the early max write ups like the "road of Bones " were old ride reports ..yes great reading but as we all do trip reports from our hols etc on here they dont get in the mag..maybe because we dont submit them :blush: ..

I do think the mag needs to change direction :whistle: and no more tests by the same person 3 times in the same mag..

sorry if I`ve upset people but I`m Honest ;)
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

Well i didn't think my little post would cause so much fuss.

Let me give you a point from where i am coming from. I teach sailing..big boats..and have been on the water for may a year. The sailing mags fall into three types.

1. Racing people
2. Stories of cruising long distance and tales of life afloat
3. How to maintain and play with your boat

The last type is best served by the mag 'practical boat owner'..yes bad name i know but it's full of all the stuff that the normal sailor wants to know who isn't going off on a 3 month trip to the med or who can't afford to buy a new boat.

So to bring it back to bikes. What type of mag do we have?

Maybe it's too early to say but i am fully behind it and will do all i can to help.

Again more thoughts of a mad man.
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

I would also like to see a bit more on planning where to go.. routes, campsites used, both in the UK and across the channel.

I definitely get fed up with the likes of '13 Fab Trips for 2013' which is one long advert containing no useful information at all.. :angry: NOT what I subscribe for..

Return to “SUGGESTION BOX”