French Abr Rally

Have some feedback and input to share? Don't be shy and drop us a note. We want to hear from you and strive to make this site better and more user friendly for our guests and members a like.
Redmurty

Re: French Abr Rally

Post by Redmurty »

Alun wrote:
Tramp wrote: dont worry folks something will happen..just chill out..
Well said Tramp.

Maybe it would help if I clear up a few things here.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating and as anyone who's attended an ABR Rally will know, they are as relaxed and as informal gathering of like minded souls as you're likely to find. And long may that continue.
1st question should a Southern France trip be organised, who would be responsible for shipment of "ABR" goods to the venue and return of unsold goods. Seems to be an awful lot of rules appearing now a days cheers Spud

This is only ever going to happen if I turn up at a rally in a van and that ain't going to happen. This was included in the guidelines when we were being asked by members if we would have t-shirts etc at rallies and before they were available to buy on-line. As they are now available on-line this can be scrapped as far as I'm concerned.

The numbers - it would need to be open to many ABR members - min 100.
My thinking behind ABR Rallies is that they should be inclusive rather than exclusive and we should make every attempt to make sure that if members want to attend then there is room for them. Nothing more than that.
If you are looking to hold a limited number (min 100) then advanced payment booking will need to sorted out.
Not sure what James is referring to here :) , though it would be a good idea if a campsite needs a deposit to secure space. No member should be out of pocket for organising a rally if people don't turn up.
1 No commercial links, sponsors or stands what so ever.

2 No paid for talks, bands or any other distractions. Camp fires, beer and ice cream vans (selling beer) are fine.
When any commercial element is introduced into a rally then you get people attending who are not there because they want to be but because they want to sell you something. I'm not sure I want ABR Rallies to go that way. We've been asked if companies can pay to have stands at rallies and I've declined all offers.
3 You agree to organise road and green lane ride outs to show rally goers the best of your patch. The ride outs would need to be open to novice level also.

4 Provide a single page welcome sheet for all Rally goers with details of the local facilities (garage/shop/pub etc) and the ride outs (starting time/who's leading/mileage/difficulty etc)

5 All official ABR Rally events need to be authorised to save double booking clashes.
The above guidelines are nothing other than making sure that members who attend have a good time and that, if possible, events don't clash.

When a rally is held under the name of ABR then rightly or wrongly I feel responsible for making sure it happens and members are not disappointed or let down when they've booked weekends off work. Forum memberships are fluid members come and go for lots of different reasons plus things happen and well meaning organisers may have to drop out for compelling reasons and when that happens someone has to step in to make sure the event happens – as happened at the German ABR meet this year.

Last but not least; I'm sure we've all been members of forums where for whatever reason events drop off. If we don't want that to happen with ABR then there needs to be an element of glue to keep it together.

And let's not forget the commitment and effort from members who have given up their time and energy to make rallies happen all over the country – and overseas. They are the stars.

Put me down for the French Rally.
More than happy with what you've said Alunand totally agree that's why I piped up about the rules, they seemed contary to the ABR ethos, I am more than happy to liase and help Brit frog with organising an event.

What happen last year is the village (people no not the group) turned out and put a BBQ for a small fee and a bar again for a small fee you could buy wine and beer.
Ride outs were sort and Britfrog (who is an rider) lead them and has excellent knowledge of the roads and local history
By the way you did not have to eat the meals or drink the booze. cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
GOG 007

Post by GOG 007 »

Spud, I think to be fair to Russ (Tramp) (it was his idea), that we give him and Phil first crack ;)
James691

Post by James691 »

Many thanks Alun, :)

Being on nights at the moment means that I only just got this email about the ABR rules. :S

The advanced payment if you are having limited numbers is from experience. We want as many people to be able to go to events and have as much variety as possible - you do as much or as little as you want at an ABR rally as a rider.

As a Host - you take on the brand name ABR.

It is possible that you may not get 20 people that wish to go to France - but we do aim for inclusive rather than exclusive as an ABR event.

If you then have a limited number - people may (as they have in the past) rush and throw a name down. The event fills up and people are told - THE EVENT IS FULL - they go off and book something else as we all would.

3 to 4 days before the event and people start to drop out leaving not only riders frustrated that they wanted to go but in the case of advanced site fees then people are left out of pocket. It has happened in the past.

An ABR Rally is a relaxed Rally - about bikers and their bikes on the best roads an area has to offer. As that rider you pitch up with your tent and bike, chill out and play.

As a Host - you carry the brand name of ABR. So there are things that are expected from a rally event, we obviously help with that.

Things are done so that the risk of disappointment is at a minimum. If for whatever reason a Host has to pull out, I need to be in a position that I can take over and ensure the event happens and everyone has a good time.

Even at this stage there is some work as to where it is being held and who is the Host - that's why you have ABR Staff on these things.

So relax :) there is no Iron Fist, if there was then I would not work here.

No one is stopping 10 mates going for a ride and camping session. I'm doing my best to make sure things go as smoothly and as easy as possible based on past experience and feedback from many rallies and many riders giving different needs, concerns and expectations.
Dancing in the moonlight
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

GOG 007 wrote:Spud, I think to be fair to Russ (Tramp) (it was his idea), that we give him and Phil first crack ;)
I have absolutely no problem with that all and in fact did say sorry for appearing to hijack a thread. what i did say if anyone is interested I would be more than happy to help organise one. I want to go back and play in the mountains and if a group wanted to go then so be it.
I cant see why there cant be two one up north and one down south, but thats no problem to me, I don't care if it's an ABR sanctioned event or not, as I said I turn up for the local knowlwdge of the highways and byeways.Good luck to the guys that do organise the events B)
Cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
stanbloke

Post by stanbloke »

sohoeasy wrote:
Redmurty wrote:
James691 wrote:Looks fantastic :)

A couple of things -

The numbers - it would need to be open to many ABR members - min 100.

If you are looking to hold a limited number (min 100) then advanced payment booking will need to sorted out.

1 No commercial links, sponsors or stands what so ever.

2 No paid for talks, bands or any other distractions. Camp fires, beer and ice cream vans (selling beer) are fine.

3 You agree to organise road and green lane ride outs to show rally goers the best of your patch. The ride outs would need to be open to novice level also.

4 Provide a single page welcome sheet for all Rally goers with details of the local facilities (garage/shop/pub etc) and the ride outs (starting time/who's leading/mileage/difficulty etc)

5 All official ABR Rally events need to be authorised to save double booking clashes. [email protected]

6 For 2013 we will be printing up ABR Rally stickers, t-shirts, beanies and a few other ABR items so anyone who organises a rally will be expected to look after the sale and admin of the gear – it'll not cost organisers anything as we'll supply the stuff based on the expected numbers.

There might be a couple more basics to add to the above as we live and learn about what makes for a great ABR Rally but the whole ethos is going to be to keep it as informal and non commercial as possible. We'll make our own fun and entertainment, just like we've done in 2011 and 2012.

It would be held in 2013 - The dates I would have to look at what other ABR events are going on through the year.

Who to go to?

Gog007 is the Rally section MOD for sticky threads etc

James691 is the Events Manager (RagHand).

Both are contactable via the forum and James691 also by email.
1st question should a Southern France trip be organised, who would be responsible for shipment of "ABR" goods to the venue and return of unsold goods. Seems to be an awful lot of rules appearing now a days cheers Spud ;)

Rules and reg's once again. Iron fist control,Minimun 100 members ? Advance payment, no "other distractions" ?

All too official. I can understand this for an organised event in the uk. But wouldn't this be better as a group of mates just doing what we normally do. Travelling responsibly in a self organised group to France ?

Count me out for now. (unless it becomes more of a relaxed affair :) )
I'm with Nick on this one, we normally turn up and have a great time without rules and regs ( beginning to sound like Butlins) ;)

Nick we'll sort a date out and invade Phil's and then have a word with Jacques.

no offence to anyone intended with my veiws of course. :)
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Get yourself down here Stan , but tell Nick to get that outfit sorted ,or he'll start to look like an ORANGUTANG :laugh:
Phil
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Attention Folks who have shown a interest.... :P :P

we are working on something so please be patient you wont be dissapointed.. B) B)
Roads/trails/wine and Sun and plenty of laughs :woohoo:
stanbloke

Post by stanbloke »

PHILinFRANCE wrote:Get yourself down here Stan , but tell Nick to get that outfit sorted ,or he'll start to look like an ORANGUTANG :laugh:
Phil
:laugh: :laugh: I'll bring mi ammer and nails ;) . Hope you are well Phil and i still owe you those batteries :whistle: :cheer: :cheer: .
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Tramp wrote:Attention Folks who have shown a interest.... :P :P

we are working on something so please be patient you wont be dissapointed.. B) B)
Roads/trails/wine and Sun and plenty of laughs :woohoo:
B)
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Sod the batteries mate just get down here , i'll find some bigger lanes for the big blue un orange lump of your's :laugh:
Phil

Return to “SUGGESTION BOX”