So when is a thread blatant advertising?

Help, rules, advice and announcements.
redbikejohn

So when is a thread blatant advertising?

Post by redbikejohn »

So when is a thread blatant advertising for financial gain and when is it posting info as you believe fellow ABR’s will be genuinely interested?
I realise this might come across as sour grapes from my part for getting a thread deleted and a ‘no advertising’ message from the mods (I was doing a bit of market research into whether it would be feasible to run a certain type of paying event.

However since someone else is quite openly plugging his own forthcoming event I thought I’d ask the question – how can one thread survive and another not?

Should there not be a section on the forum where people or businesses can post information, offers etc. as long as the threads relate to adventure riding?

This is not the first time this has been asked as I’ve seen the threads on here. In no way am I trying to get the other thread removed, but is there a two tier system in place or have the mods become more relaxed of late?
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
davsato

Re: So when is a thread blatant advertising?

Post by davsato »

personally ive got nothing against a member advertising something relevant for financial gain as long as its not spam. folks already put their ebay auctions on here so i dont see much difference?
i thought there was a "for sale/services offered" thread anyway?
Dave
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

the 'for sale' section is for private items.
Yamaha tenere 700

ChasF

Post by ChasF »

ABR mag is then competing with itself. Their line (no unreasonably) is that if you're charging money you should pay for an ad. in ABR.
Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

How comes a certain author can advertises his books etc but not contribute to normal forum activities?

Just my observation.....
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

from my part, if i had a possitive responce to the thread it would have led to a large add in the mag, but i realy wasn't sure people would go for. i dropped the idea in the end .... but got the hump a little this week when others are plugging away.
Yamaha tenere 700

Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

There are various examples of this. Nathans book, Austins event etc. All it proves is that mods / owners are human and may miss things.

But I have sympathy with RBJ to be honest. I can't see that asking a simple question is advertising, it's just asking to see if something might be viable then go from there..
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

This is a line from the forum rules.

If a post is deemed as an 'advert' it'll be deleted. There can be a fine line between what's information and what's an advert but generally speaking its obvious where the intent lies.

I try to moderate within these guidelines.

When Nathan started off from Sydney to ride to the UK I don't think he had book "riches" in mind.
Likewise with Austin Vince and Lois of course.

I don't know the circumstances of your post RBJ, maybe you should have a chat with Alun re promotion, he is very approachable.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

I wasn't referring to Nathan as the author. It was Sam Manicom I was thinking of. We only see him when he's promoting the sales of his books.
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

well i wasn't going to use names but as others have...... it was Vince's film thread that i thought was pretty blatant. if it was a free event then fine, but i seem to remember from the past that these things cost about £60 a ticket?
Yamaha tenere 700

Return to “WEBSITE AND FORUM STUFF”