Good Grief......

Help, rules, advice and announcements.
Seminole

Good Grief......

Post by Seminole »

You've woken up to the pleasant surprise of a perfect sunny Sunday morning, even though the weather man said there was going to be rain – result! Queue you, getting ready
Like fingernails on a blackboard.
Sort yourself out proofreader
anthony29040

Re: Good Grief......

Post by anthony29040 »

Spelling police out again.get a grip it's a motorbike forum,go and ride your bike.
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

anthony29040 wrote:Spelling police out again.get a grip it's a motorbike forum,go and ride your bike.
Oh dear :laugh:
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Without wanting to be too prissy, shouldn't it be ...... proof reader.... ;) :laugh:
But I do have to agree. It's an editorial piece presumably written with the luxury of a full size keyboard and no predictive text, not trying to post on a topic on a phone and without reading glasses.
Any mistakes I make are now my own as I got fed up with it being changed for me. There are many, even though I am an elderly pedant when it comes to spelling and grammar.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

You got me fair and square David.
I'm only having a light hearted dig because it isnt even a simple spelling mistake, it's a completely different word, something that shows really bad grasp of language and it's on the front page presumably written by a professional
I won't even bother mentioning the superfluous comma.....oops
Anthony is right of course, it is of little consequence, but indicative of how little people are bothered about it these days, just answer with "you know what I meant" (thumbs)
simonw

Post by simonw »

Seminole wrote:...I won't even bother mentioning the superfluous comma.....oops
The comma is not superfluous, surely? It conveys a pause between the two halves of the sentence, presumably for effect, and is instead optional.
Anthony is right of course, it is of little consequence, but indicative of how little people are bothered about it these days, just answer with "you know what I meant" (thumbs)
I disagree. Sliding standards of grammar, spelling and writing overall makes it harder to discern the writer's intent and meaning. Which leads to misinterpretation and all that may follow.

I recommend reading Plain Words by Sir Ernest Gowers to understand why it's important.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Or 'Eats shoots and leaves' by LynnTruss.
Not sure if I have actually got the spelling or punctuation right for the title but it is a brilliant book showing why it is so important.
The standard of written and spoken English is dreadful these days.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

[quote) I disagree. Sliding standards of grammar, spelling and writing overall makes it harder to discern the writer's intent and meaning. Which leads to misinterpretation and all that may follow.[/quote]

I think you have missed some sarcasm
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

Thanks for pointing this out - while we do, of course, endeavour to iron out all spelling and grammar mistakes, occasionally they slip through the net. The piece has been edited now (thumbs)
Heff

Post by Heff »

If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black

Return to “WEBSITE AND FORUM STUFF”