morocco mapping

Tramp

morocco mapping

Post by Tramp »

okay folks I`ll get the ball rolling...

excellentg free Garmin useable mapping..

http://www.island-olaf.de/travel/marokko/gps.html

enjoy.
Lizzie

Re: morocco mapping

Post by Lizzie »

Thanks for posting this Tramp. When we were there last October we had only just bought our Garmin and didn't realise that the best we could hope for was some main roads and then just North South East & West etc. Made finding places fun!

This would have made life a lot easier.
Louisdut

Post by Louisdut »

Tramp wrote:okay folks I`ll get the ball rolling...

excellentg free Garmin useable mapping..

http://www.island-olaf.de/travel/marokko/gps.html

enjoy.
Hi have used that Map the last two times in Morocco, it’s great and free but no routable

So have blaged a copy of this one TOPO Morocco which is routable which should be better for the towns will let you know how good it is soon

Not sure I'd pay £124.00 for it :ohmy:

Louis
Mudwiz

Post by Mudwiz »

Paper!! Every time, but Olaf is good, and the OSM based Maps.Me app is very accurate. :)
Tim Cullis

Post by Tim Cullis »

Louis, I'm sorry to say Garmin's Topo Morocco is a POS—and that doesn't stand for 'point of sale'. Try routing from Marrakech to Ouarzazate via Telouet and see what happens.
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

" How would you navigate using a paper map when there's just an empty space..."

Sorry Tim, but a big tank full and a COMPASS worked for me :whistle:
DaleC

Post by DaleC »

I have used a combination of the Olaf and OSM (Open Street Maps), as mentioned before. Both are free and both had their strengths and in particular cases/areas, one was better than other and I believe the OSM is only for Garmin devices (?).

The OSM is routable whereas Olaf is not. However, use the routing capability of OSM with caution as in certain cases the roads are not "complete" due to collation error and while you can see that the roads continues, the data doesn't agree and believes that it is broken and therefore won't route through. A review of your desired route and common sense gets around this.

A good introduction to using the OSM source is here OSM on Horizons Unlimited.
Keyboard Adventurer! :D
Tim Cullis

Post by Tim Cullis »

PHILinFRANCE wrote:" How would you navigate using a paper map when there's just an empty space..."

Sorry Tim, but a big tank full and a COMPASS worked for me :whistle:
Yes, but the empty space refers to the map. Nothing shown, it's a blank piece of paper, might as well have 'here be dragons'. How would you know what's there? What would you be taking a compass bearing on?
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase
Grimetime

Post by Grimetime »

Olaf seemed to do us quite well last year and i think we used Topo to route some of Chris Scotts trails by waypoints, did use paper when we on road. Makes me laugh how the spelling of some towns is different on the map to the gps and the sign as you enter the town is nearly something else entirely :P
Doug Haywood
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

No matter how good Olaf is there's lots of areas in Morocco where's no tracklogs and there's also no information on the map. So the only thing to do is to head off and see what you find. In those circumstances I navigate by the sun. However having a GPS means you can record your track for future reference, make a note of difficult bits, and so on.

Now you're talking my language Tim (thumbs)

Seriously thought Tim ,no offence intended you've done far to much over there (thumbs)

Some people call me a free spirit !!! most say i'm MAD :woohoo:

Phil

Return to “Africa”