Montana help

GB

Montana help

Post by GB »

Went to use my montana on the powered rugged mount today and it wasnt charging it, checked the connections and fuses etc all ok, is there a way of testing which connector does what on the holder or even the unit itself, dont want to buy a new holder and its the unit or visa versa?
Finally back on a GS :D
Kipper

Re: Montana help

Post by Kipper »

Don't know how to check but I have had issues with pins in cradle. Either stuck in or broke.

Also recently had a flat bike battery which meant there wasn't enough charge to power the Montana.
qwerty

Post by qwerty »

Hi GB these are the power pins on the rugged mount, one of the connecting spades to my ktm wiring vibed loose in morocco last oct, so I would check there.
GB

Post by GB »

Im hoping its the cradle not the unit, it is one of the first ones and has had a hard life.
GB

Post by GB »

qwerty wrote:Hi GB these are the power pins on the rugged mount, one of the connecting spades to my ktm wiring vibed loose in morocco last oct, so I would check there.
Thanks mate, will do.
qwerty

Post by qwerty »

Sorry, I meant to add you should get 14v with the bike running. I also wired mine into the Non-permanent (don't know if its the same on a 701)
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

I had this issue with mine a year or two back. I thought it was the mount, it wasn't it was the Montana but Garmin took a lot of persuading of that. If I put a bit of flex pressure on the Montana it would mount and charge but the slightest knock or vibration and it stopped being powered from the mount. To my mind clearly a fault in something like the PCB or a soldered joint somewhere. Garmin replaced it as it was still under guarantee (it was already a replacement).

Oh, and check the battery is fitted OK.
GB

Post by GB »

AustinW wrote:I had this issue with mine a year or two back. I thought it was the mount, it wasn't it was the Montana but Garmin took a lot of persuading of that. If I put a bit of flex pressure on the Montana it would mount and charge but the slightest knock or vibration and it stopped being powered from the mount. To my mind clearly a fault in something like the PCB or a soldered joint somewhere. Garmin replaced it as it was still under guarantee (it was already a replacement).

Oh, and check the battery is fitted OK.
I have no battery fitted, but they are the symptoms mine is showing, I will test the cradle tomorrow but the unit is way out of warranty if it is that.
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

qwerty wrote:Hi GB these are the power pins on the rugged mount, one of the connecting spades to my ktm wiring vibed loose in morocco last oct, so I would check there.

Normal for Roger...as a kid,he broke all his toys on Xmas morning and had nothing to play with in the afternoon. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Will It Buff Out?
qwerty

Post by qwerty »

Morning Mr Boyd, you checked your email recently?? :whistle:

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”