TomTom Rider 400 - Any good?

hennieontanks

TomTom Rider 400 - Any good?

Post by hennieontanks »

Hi,

I'm looking at a new bike satnav, especially with Christmas coming ;)

I have had a TomTom Rider 2 for years and it was pretty good and reliable. I saw the new Rider 400 and was wondering how it is - good and bad?

Any issues with it or the software?
How reliable is it? (asking, since I just had loads of battery problems with my wife's car TomTom)

Thanks
bigfoot

Re: TomTom Rider 400 - Any good?

Post by bigfoot »

Hi

apologies if it's not a direct answer but I have a Garmin Zumo 350LM. Good price at the moment and far better than the Tom Tom's I have experience of.

Just got back from Croatia and it was good and solid on the trip.

Think it's been updated to the 390 so 350's are on good deals if you look around
Alphadog43

Post by Alphadog43 »

Hi, I have a Rider 400 and find it is really good. I have used the winding routes feature and it has taken me on some stunning rides. The updates are quick and reliable, the only downside for me is that the mount is weak. The lever on the quick release broke off after just a couple of months light use, this cost me £50 to replace on what is essentially a new sat nav :angry: other than that though I would recommend it over my last satnav, a Zumo 350.
hennieontanks

Post by hennieontanks »

Thanks bigfoot,

I did have a look at the 390LM - its my second choice at the moment, since I'm not too sure how old it is and if its going to be replaced.

I also looked at the 590LM - it looks very nice, but it is just massive.

The TomTom looked like it was a nice in-between size with similar features to the 590LM
hennieontanks

Post by hennieontanks »

Thanks Alphadog,
Actually I had similar problems with my previous Rider 2 - the plastic mount kept cracking after a couple of months/maybe a year - resulting in quite an expensive replacement for basically a mount with a power supply incorporated in it.

It does seem that TomTom's after sales support is quite expensive...
Tourider

Post by Tourider »

I upgraded from the Rider V2 to the 400 this year. It seems to build on the good aspects of the V2 (display, level of information and usability)and has improved them all. The "clever" sat nav aspects that Garmin used to be better for (route planning on a PC, etc) are also massively improved.
IndigoSteve

Post by IndigoSteve »

+1 for winding roads setting

Basically asking the satnav 'take me from A to B and add some fun in the middle"

I use my old iPhone 5 with the tom-tom app and a life proof case and mount.

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”