akendall1966

Re: Peaklife vs Rage gps systems

Post by akendall1966 »

Igo9 as satnav, and memorymap for topographic mapping

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
BigBashBonanza

Post by BigBashBonanza »

jasext wrote:They both use windows CE the Peaklife uses version 5 and the Rage uses 6. The road maps are quite easy to install and update.
The issue comes when you want to run two different mapping software as the COM ports conflict.
Yes they work offroad and all can be found on the memory map website.
If you need any info just send me a pm.
I'm sure you will be hearing from me then! I have a Memory Map account (perk through work!) and being able to use this as well as having a SatNav for £100 sounds too good to be true!
Look Large, Be Massive

Follow the Sapper
jesusangel

Post by jesusangel »

akendall1966 wrote:Nicola,

I had a quick look at that thread it seemed to be mostly about remote editing the registry from your PC, but that needs active sync working on the device to connect.

Basic steps:

copy a CE registry editor application the the rage by putting your SD card in the PC or connecting the rage by USB cable. Make sure you copy all the files as there may be an .exe and some .dll

{The one I used can be got here http://www.eurotech-inc.com/Wince-code/RegEdit.asp}

Set the navi path to the file name you copied

Hit the navi button, to run it.

I have PM'd you my email as it might be easier to talk you through it by other means. Be care with your registry though as you can break your device and AFAIK there is no copies of the rom or tools to flash it publicly availiable to recover it.

AK
Hi akendall1966, good job, I wonder where do you found the info about this tricks :D, however I can't edit the registry because there is no keyboard to write while editing registry to change this 0 to 1, any help about how to change it?

Regards
akendall1966

Post by akendall1966 »

Hi,

Assuming your using RegEdit

When your copying RegEdit onto your card create a empty text file called 'export.reg'. As you will not have any keyboard until we can get into CE so you can't edit the registry directly on your device.

Get RegEdit running, under the file menu there is a little drop down box, select CUser here. In the window below double tap on OEM then ShellEx. Scroll to the bottom and select with a single tap WinCe.

On the file menu tap export and in the dialog the opens find the export.reg file you created and click OK. Accept any warning about over writing this file.

You now need to go back to your PC and connect or insert the SD card and edit this file. Change file so enable is set to '1'.

Put your SD card back or disconnect, fire up RegEdit and use file - import the export.reg file to change the key.

Restart the rage and under the setting menu you 'should' have a new button WinCe clicking this will drop you out of the Rage frontend into the CE shell.

You will then have a CE keyboard for further use of regedit. ;)
africanik

Post by africanik »

Hi,

Let me add that I did not manage to get the Regedit version linked above running, bit I managed with this one:

http://oohito.com/mcsg/archives/89

For the rest, I followed akendall1966's detailed instructions and everything worked great.

My unit is actually a bit newer than his one, for example the internal storage is already set up to be visible via USB. Probably they realized this and fixed it at some point.

Nicola
jesusangel

Post by jesusangel »

Thank you both, finally I did it with regedit and vitual keyboard included in ceFFM, it fails to install, because fall in a loop checking installation an rebooting, then with usb cable could rename ceFFM folder and start normally, but at least it have a big amount of utilities that can run.

Regards
ThomasD

Post by ThomasD »

Just registered here to participate in this thread. Had Garmin units (12, 76S, 62Cx, 78S) for years, as I was riding offroad only. For next year planned riding onroad again and crawled the internet for opinions about the Peaklive - in germany known as Pearl Tourmate SLX-350. Found this thread, the thread on ADV and ordered the Rage from Chinavasion, as the Peaklive is not available anymore and the Rage is the better value for the money. For car navigation I use iGO products and Navigon on CE-units, so this experience should help for the Rage.

Well - I own the Rage since 3 weeks now and puzzled around to get things working:

I used Iphonetoday as startmenu and ceFFM to get some chinese charsets fixed (never used it because of bootloop).
Got iGO8, Primo2 (=iGO9), Navigon 6.2 and 7.7.5 and CompeGPS TwoNav Pocket running. OziCE works too, but I never liked the user interface of this.

Bluetooth works fine with my Jabra Clipper, but in car with a Kenwood Headunit voices are stuttering. Don´t know if there any bluetooth protocol is incompatible. But for use on motorcycle it will work with the Jabra.
Tom
jasext

Post by jasext »

For anyone who has had a Peaklife or Rage gps of Santa i still do the cards for them.
You will have to jailbreak the Rage yourself or follow the instructions posted on here, as for the Peaklife it is a simple plug and play basically.
Skinny5216

Post by Skinny5216 »

Hi jasext
Great info, I have recently purchased the peaklife unit (well 6 months go) it works really well and it was already programmed,I was also sent the cd disc. I'm not much use with computers and the like, but would you know if it is possible to plan a route on the pc then sync it to the unit, I think the maps are igo8 but that means nothing to me. (thumbs)
jasext

Post by jasext »

Not sure with the IGO8 but with TOMTOM you can use a programme called Tyre to convert routes from your PC onto your device.

Just sent you pm

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”