Peaklife GPS

APD_660Ten

Peaklife GPS

Post by APD_660Ten »

Been considering one of these. Waterproof GPS for under £100. You have to stick your own maps on but that doesn't bother me. But the pr material made me chuckle so I thought I'd post it...:lol:
uploadfromtaptalk1365532758253.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1365532758253.jpg (15.72 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
uploadfromtaptalk1365532714053.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1365532714053.jpg (21 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
uploadfromtaptalk1365532739031.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1365532739031.jpg (13.09 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
uploadfromtaptalk1365532770693.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1365532770693.jpg (14.42 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
Sorry, no screens with semi naked blokes on it. Seems to be targeted marketing :)

Aside from the sillyness, anyone got any views?
Gedge

Re: Peaklife GPS

Post by Gedge »

I bought one recently ( under the brand name Bluetronics) comes with Igo8 maps and bike mount etc...easy to fit, very quick start up and locking onto satellites..the Igo8 mapping works well and overall I am well impressed so far...

would like to know how to add and use off road maps but even wiothout them its still excellent value for money compared to my temperamental and quite slow TT rider....
jasext

Post by jasext »

I have had mine for nearly 2 years now, got TOMTOM, IGO8 and Memory Map working on it.I have the whole of the UK as 1:50.
Took me 2 and a half days to hack Memory Map to work without confilciting com port's.
Was thinking of selling it as a package deal, 8gb micro SD card with IGO8 and memory map and full list of instuctions, just put it in your device and your ready to go .
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

jasext wrote:I have had mine for nearly 2 years now, got TOMTOM, IGO8 and Memory Map working on it.I have the whole of the UK as 1:50.
Took me 2 and a half days to hack Memory Map to work without confilciting com port's.
Was thinking of selling it as a package deal, 8gb micro SD card with IGO8 and memory map and full list of instuctions, just put it in your device and your ready to go .
How much are you thinking of asking ? And how easy is the off road trails to load etc??
APD_660Ten

Re: Re: Peaklife GPS

Post by APD_660Ten »

jasext wrote:I have had mine for nearly 2 years now, got TOMTOM, IGO8 and Memory Map working on it.I have the whole of the UK as 1:50.
Not a bad idea mate. Buy some cards cheap get some links of where to buy the hardware from and get advertising :)

I looked at memory map also and thought I'd be able to get one of their ce versions working with a little hacking around. Good to know you actually can.
rickbat

Re: Re: Peaklife GPS

Post by rickbat »

as most of us use tank bags and smartarse phones anyway, this could be a cheap alternative to expensive waterproof satnav/gps ;)

Item number:400344981296

[ebay]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Buffalo-Pro-R ... 5d366b9f30[/ebay]
If it doesnt have dirt on it, its because you're not riding it hard enough

APD_660Ten

Re: Re: Re: Peaklife GPS

Post by APD_660Ten »

rickbat wrote:as most of us use tank bags and smartarse phones anyway, this could be a cheap alternative to expensive waterproof satnav/gps ;)

[ebay]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Buffalo-Pro-R ... 5d366b9f30[/ebay]
Fair point! I've been using my phone as satnav for the past year and it works very well with a plus side that I've wired my phone to charge at the same time...

Tip. Don't bother if you don't wire a charger up. Your phone will be dead in a hour running the screen on and GPS.

I'll even recommend Navfree. Completely free on android with world maps. Paired with memory map you do have everything you need.

It's only after getting a bit more daring :woohoo: that I've started considering my options. River crossing and the like don't work too well with smart phones.

Also. The other snag I found with the phone in a bag type approach. When you stop and if you are charging it, it's a bit of a faff to get the phone off your bike. Especially if it's raining.

All that said. It's not enough of a concern to start me spending £400 on a sat nav but when I saw these things at this sort of money it started me thinking.
jasext

Post by jasext »

Gedge wrote:
How much are you thinking of asking ? And how easy is the off road trails to load etc??
Not sure to be honest, maybe PM me with an offer .
The card will come to you with everything preloaded and a set of instuctions on how to switch between Igo8 and Mem map,I would recommend you get Mem map on your pc as it is far easier to plan routes that way then transfer them onto the gps, again i can help with this
rickbat

Post by rickbat »

APD_660Ten wrote:
rickbat wrote:as most of us use tank bags and smartarse phones anyway, this could be a cheap alternative to expensive waterproof satnav/gps ;)

Fair point! I've been using my phone as satnav for the past year and it works very well with a plus side that I've wired my phone to charge at the same time...

Tip. Don't bother if you don't wire a charger up. Your phone will be dead in a hour running the screen on and GPS.

I'll even recommend Navfree. Completely free on android with world maps. Paired with memory map you do have everything you need.

It's only after getting a bit more daring :woohoo: that I've started considering my options. River crossing and the like don't work too well with smart phones.

Also. The other snag I found with the phone in a bag type approach. When you stop and if you are charging it, it's a bit of a faff to get the phone off your bike. Especially if it's raining.

All that said. It's not enough of a concern to start me spending £400 on a sat nav but when I saw these things at this sort of money it started me thinking.
with it being a small tank bag anyway, i posted it for those that dont intend on doing a RTW trip, its something more for those that go for a spin around places they dont know and a satnav could come in handy type of thing with enough room for wallet and house keys and can be turned into a mans bag as well.
i am going to buy me one and i will post some pics or even video of it in a couple weeks time, but if anyone beats me to it please do share ;)
If it doesnt have dirt on it, its because you're not riding it hard enough

jasext

Post by jasext »

APD_660Ten wrote:

Be carefull doing this, i have ruined a smart phone while running them of the bike, It is ok to use them occasionally but when your out for a good few hours using your phone as a sat nav and charging it at the same time it gets very hot and cooks the chip inside, i would rather replace one of these at £90 rather than £300-400 on a new phone.
Get a second mount for the peaklife as they are very cheap .

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”