Memory map gps units, any good?

special one

Memory map gps units, any good?

Post by special one »

I'm thinking of asking father Xmas for a gps to aid my green laning exploits but the Montana units are quite expensive, so was thinking of alternative units, the memory map units seen good value but are they cheap for a reason?

Any info or recommendations greatly appreciated.

Phil
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
Tramp

Re: Memory map gps units, any good?

Post by Tramp »

Well as I'm a Garmin man the equivelant model would be the etrex 20..but apparently the mapping dosent zoom as clear using garmins discover uk as the memeory map version....never seen so cant say for sure....

does it offer track laying option aka breadcrump so you can log custom routes..most garmin users use the gpx file type..does the memory map have function to change this so they can use it...

people like and use garmins for there excellent third party world wide mapping coverage..

just a few thoughts for you...I find the etrex 20 screen fine for trials..
dodursley

Post by dodursley »

more of a slow reply!
I use Binatone 350 (standard size screen) and 430 (big screen) satnavs with Memory map loaded, not waterproof, I put it in a tank bag map pocket. Have used them for 2-3 years, seem to be from £5-20 on ebay and can be modified
see #13 http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/travel/728 ... nav-2.html
for links
mufynman

Post by mufynman »

I'm running the Memory Map 3500 , had it for a few months now , and it seems pretty good . Nice and clear . Best to hardwire it to your bike as batteries only last 2-3 hours with the screen lit up . It's vertical rather than horizontal , but came with the 1:50k landranger which is perfect for biking offroad on the trails . Memory Map software seems pretty starightforward , as is importing and saving routes and tracks . You can get the pack for about £250 I think , just make sure the bundle has the 1:50k UK map thrown in , as it's pricy to buy afterwards . Mine did have a fault to start with , but I phoned Memory Map helpline and they swapped it for a brand new one . Only downside is that a gloved finger is a bit useless on the screen . It prefers a pointer or at least a fingernail for any useful accuracy .
mufynman

Post by mufynman »

I'm running the Memory Map 3500 , had it for a few months now , and it seems pretty good . Nice and clear . Best to hardwire it to your bike as batteries only last 2-3 hours with the screen lit up . It's vertical rather than horizontal , but came with the 1:50k landranger which is perfect for biking offroad on the trails . Memory Map software seems pretty straightforward , as is importing and saving routes and tracks . You can get the pack for about £250 I think , just make sure the bundle has the 1:50k UK map thrown in , as it's pricy to buy afterwards . Mine did have a fault to start with , but I phoned Memory Map helpline and they swapped it for a brand new one . Only downside is that a gloved finger is a bit useless on the screen . It prefers a pointer or at least a fingernail for any useful accuracy .
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

My mate uses memory map and the only issue he's found is that the map always faces North which can be confusing.
I bought a Sat Map active 10 at the same time, which has "map up/track up" which is easier to follow on green lanes.
However, go outside the UK and the maps for the SatMap are very expensive, whereas the Memory Map is much more economical as you can buy the bits of a country/map/trail that you actually need.
Not all those wandering are lost
davec

Post by davec »

A very good Android app that is compatible with memory map maps is Alpine Quest, looks very nice on a Nexus 7 but you wouldn't want to drop it in a ford.
I got a motorbike for my wife...

Best swap I ever made.
special one

Post by special one »

I've now downloaded memory map on to my iPhone 4s, £25 for the uk maps @1:50000 scale, shows all boats, byways etc.

Tbh, I don't need it to navigate while moving, it's just to find start and finishes of lanes and if we come to a junction or fork on a lane, we can check we've taken the correct one if there is no signage.

Very good app so far.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
luckiegar

Post by luckiegar »

hi mate if you got memory map on your phone and can load waypoints you can do it , i used an etrex venture for years all down to how carefull you are loading waypoints on turns show you net time were out

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”