Garmin Montana/Oregon Thread

picos mestizo

Re: Garmin Montana Thread

Post by picos mestizo »

The Spanish Biker wrote:
picos mestizo wrote:I can recomend:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-GB-Europe- ... Swe-FU-rfF
as excelent 1:25,000 TOPO maps Europe for 55pounds.
They work well on the Montana & download onto a computer for a permanent workmap with basecamp.
They also print very nicely:-
IMG_7653.JPG
IMG_7653.JPG (71.67 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
Martin, the guy producing these also gives friendly prompt technical support.

Yes they may be available free elsewhere on the net but this PACKAGE takes all the stress out of downloading & using them.
While you're at it Brian why not recommend what the map is of! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
[attachment=-1]IMG_7653.JPG[/attachment]

The map is of part of the area in the Spanish Pyrenese where the Catalonia Hiss takes place.
A few trails of the 2012 event are shown. Notably 2A,2B,1A Start & 2C Finish.
DO IT. It's a great event.
I'm back for more next year with friends on TwinShock comfortably seated machines. More of a bimble in the park :) than a frantic ride between two points on a map :blink:
Attachments
IMG_7653.JPG
IMG_7653.JPG (71.67 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

picos mestizo wrote:The map is of part of the area in the Spanish Pyrenese where the Catalonia Hiss takes place.
A few trails of the 2012 event are shown. Notably 2A,2B,1A Start & 2C Finish.
DO IT. It's a great event.
I'm back for more next year with friends on TwinShock comfortably seated machines. More of a bimble in the park :) than a frantic ride between two points on a map :blink:
In 2014 I added several more trails - great! - and has the 'brilliant idea of changing the numbering system- mistake! - so now there are five sets of trails instead of four.

It was a mistake in the sense that I had to completely revise the field guides as each trail guide has a section which shows the trails nearest to the start and finish points: 50 trails times approx. 6 links per trail on average = 300 - and you call it a bimble in the park! :whistle:

Cheers Brian!

Simon

PS thanks to my now keeping a 1992 Lada Niva on the road I've found an ace mechanic and an ace bodywork shop - the latter has an immaculate first series Montesa Impala. So maybe I can get him to pop round. We could also ride over to the Bike Museum at Bassella - mstly by trails of course (thumbs)
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

The Spanish Biker wrote:................................................................................... 50 trails times approx. 6 links per trail on average = 300 - and you call it a bimble in the park! :whistle:

Cheers Brian!

Simon

PS thanks to my now keeping a 1992 Lada Niva on the road I've found an ace mechanic and an ace bodywork shop - the latter has an immaculate first series Montesa Impala. So maybe I can get him to pop round. We could also ride over to the Bike Museum at Bassella - mstly by trails of course (thumbs)
The "Bimble in the Park" referred to respect for our ageing twinshockers not to mention our ageing carcases. & the way we intend to treat the trails. Not the severity of the going.
Lightness is everything.

Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

picos mestizo wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:................................................................................... 50 trails times approx. 6 links per trail on average = 300 - and you call it a bimble in the park! :whistle:

Cheers Brian!

Simon

The "Bimble in the Park" referred to respect for our ageing twinshockers not to mention our ageing carcases. & the way we intend to treat the trails. Not the severity of the going.
ç

Just my little joke Brian :) I'm really looking forward to your group coming down. It might be fun to arrange a little day out with some of the locals 'veterans' - that would probably have to be on a day over the weekend of course.

Of course this will inevitable involve a bikers' breakfast Spanish style - as opposed to a British bikers' breakfast:

Spot the difference? :whistle:

What do you think?

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

The Spanish Biker wrote:
picos mestizo wrote:

Cheers Brian!

Simon

ç

Just my little joke Brian :) I'm really looking forward to your group coming down. It might be fun to arrange a little day out with some of the locals 'veterans' - that would probably have to be on a day over the weekend of course.

Of course this will inevitable involve a bikers' breakfast Spanish style - as opposed to a British bikers' breakfast:

What do you think?

Regs

Simon
Sounds great to me Simon.
Shame the chips are not the hand cut Picos variety to go with the Long horn Steak & eggs.
4th/5th June would be our available weekend for Breakfast & a run with the locals.

How's the Off / On tarmac Mountain route -Bilbao to Tremp- coming along & how do I get a Password to access it? (thumbs)
Lightness is everything.

WillS

Post by WillS »

The Spanish "Breakfast" is served with extra toast Simon !! :whistle:
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

WillS wrote:The Spanish "Breakfast" is served with extra toast Simon !! :whistle:
Luxury.
At most of the truck stops & Hostals, the breakfast is ONLY toast :( & great coffee :P
Lightness is everything.

WillS

Post by WillS »

picos mestizo wrote:
WillS wrote:The Spanish "Breakfast" is served with extra toast Simon !! :whistle:
Luxury.
At most of the truck stops & Hostals, the breakfast is ONLY toast :( & great coffee :P
Yes agree the famous "tostada" in the morning, but this was the first time Egg & Bacon with Chips for Breakfast, one of Simon's famous haunts. But was really good.. (thumbs)
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

picos mestizo wrote:Sounds great to me Simon.
Shame the chips are not the hand cut Picos variety to go with the Long horn Steak & eggs.
4th/5th June would be our available weekend for Breakfast & a run with the locals.

How's the Off / On tarmac Mountain route -Bilbao to Tremp- coming along & how do I get a Password to access it? (thumbs)
Yup, I didn't have the eggs and chips version, but revuelto con morcilla, which is scrambled eggs with black pudding crumbled into it. (thumbs)

But you're right about the chips although they're even better in Galicia - there's a local dialect word for them that I can't put my finger on and when I tried to google it I go this on-line shop, so get your order* in Brian! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
* we get ours every winter from an funny old farmer from near Llavorsi, way up in the Pyrenees. People just call then 'mountain potatoes' and there is nothing to beat them - Polly collected this year's batch last week and carefully laid them up in an old chest of drawers for the winter (thumbs)
WillS wrote:
picos mestizo wrote:
Luxury.
Yes agree the famous "tostada" in the morning, but this was the first time Egg & Bacon with Chips for Breakfast, one of Simon's famous haunts. But was really good.. (thumbs)
Yup 'tostada' really is crap. Much better to have a croissant or a madelina cake. But what I call breakfast you'd never get in a hotel - you have to ride in the cold morning air for a few hours to build up an appetite for gut busters like these at my local:

A quick Translation:
Ox tail stew
Pigs trotters
Veal tripe
Meatballs with cuttlefish
Grilled whole cuttlefish
Cod steaks in a tomato sauce with garlic - lots of garlic!!!
Baby squids in brandy sauce
Tortilla of whatever kind you want
Scrambled eggs with garlic shoots
Ditto with smoked salmon - my favourite :)
Salted 'herrings' served with fried garlic cloves
Pork loin in marsala sauce
Pork sausage - that's 100% lean meat, pork belly slice or spicy sausage with either baked beans (the white ones, not in tomato sauce like Heinz), or grilled tomatoes, or chips or eggs - or, if Mario is more than usually manic - all of them!
Black pudding varieties; either with onions or rice - the latter normally Burgos which is also very peppery.
Snails in sauce - not my favourite!
Pork belly with pigs tripe - in a sauce that usually also has chickpeas in it.
Broad beans with octopus with a more conventional 'British' bangers.

Shall I take your orders now sirs?

Back on topic - at last I hear you cry! - you can find it here is you have a Garmin: N41 07.080 E1 15.497 :whistle:

Regs

Simon

PS neither of you spotted the real difference: wine with your breakfast at 09.00 and a long ride home - even after all these years here I still can't face that one!

Tramp

Re: Garmin Montana/Oregon Thread

Post by Tramp »

Back on track please you bimbling baboon,s....lol

Its a montana thread not bloody spanish food..

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”