Garmin Montana/Oregon Thread

GB

Garmin Montana/Oregon Thread

Post by GB »

As the Montana is proving to be a popular unit I thought I would start a dedicated thread.

This is a good reference point to start with http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/

Here are the basics about the unit

Can be used as nuvi/zumo unit with CN maps
Runs Topo maps from Garmin, but not memory map
Also uses GB Discover from OS but please note this is a scanned overlay and not the best quality when zoomed in.
Will also run other open street maps from Talkytoaster
No Bluetooth but does have 3.5mm audio out socket
Waterproof
Uses an active cradle to charge with no need to plug in a cable
Li-on battery plus AA battery option
Will also run speed cameras from Pocket gprs but not the Cyclops system used by Garmin
Super bright screen

Thats the basics but please feel free to add anymore useful information.

As it seems to be similar to the Oregon and some info crosses both units I've added that unit to the title as well.
Finally back on a GS :D
GB

Re: Garmin Montana Thread

Post by GB »

I have connected my Montana to some speakers in my Arai, but the volume is very low, and you can't hear voice directions at motorway speeds, has anyone else had this problem?
GB

Post by GB »

Right, I've managed to get [strike]speed[/strike] sorry safety cameras onto the Montana using pocket gprs and it works well, but tonight I tried to update it using POI loader, so remove all custom POIs then load in new camera POIs, thats what I have been doing with no issue but tonight following the same procedure fails to remove the old camera data base.
So I delved into the files on the sd card and the unit itself but can't find the files for the POI cameras, but they are there when I view the maps on the unit :huh:
Is it just remembering them?
If I add the new data base from pocket gps I end up with duplicate cameras, ideas anyone?
MHsnowy

Post by MHsnowy »

This should be good. Still learning how to use mine.

One thing I find frustrating is that after putting in a route there is no option to over view the route other than trying to zoom out, which takes forever.
GB

Garmin Montana Thread

Post by GB »

What maps are you using?

Sent via tapatalk instead of doing something useful.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

GB wrote:As the Montana is proving to be a popular unit I thought I would start a dedicated thread.
Thanks for starting the thread. As I'm tryng to get to grips with the whole subject of buying and using a Satnav I'm being a dedicated follower!

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
MHsnowy

Post by MHsnowy »

GB wrote:What maps are you using?

Sent via tapatalk instead of doing something useful.
I'm using city navigator 2013 and GB Discoverer.
GB

Post by GB »

I've not been that impressed with the GB OS discover to be honest, spoke to Garmin and they said its just a scanned image, not even close to a Memory map image, but the City Nav is good, are you using Basecamp, a lot easier to plan and view routes than the screen on the Montana?
Big Zed

Post by Big Zed »

Great info GB. I reckon to be getting my first satnav in the new year. It would seem the montana is the way to go so following this with interest.
GB

Post by GB »

I wasn't 100% sure myself Big Z but the more I tinker with it the more I discover how capable it is.
I've been using it this winter as a temperature gauge via the Garmin Tempe sensor.
The touch screen is so easy to use with gloves on and the ability to have what shortcuts and applications you want on each separate profile is awesome, example I ride to the trails using a nuvi road style map then switch to an off road map when I get there at the touch of a button, no need to change SDcards just touch the screen B)

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”