That Henry Cole Interview.

Announcements, comments, moans, praise, suggestions, mags missing in the post etc – if it's to do with Adventure Bike Rider magazine post it up here.
lancashirelad

Re: That Henry Cole Interview.

Post by lancashirelad »

The guy seems sound enough to me even the wife likes watching his programmes!!
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

bowber wrote:His apparent lack of motorcycle clothing is probably more do do with having ridden for a long time. Most long time motorcyclists I know tend to ride in jeans etc and generally don't have all the kit.

Steve
I've been riding for over 30 years but I gave up on wearing two pairs of jeans in winter and Doc Martens a long time ago! :laugh:
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Any non-biker who is under the impression that biking is exciting, risky and cool simply has to watch one of Henry Cole's programmes to think otherwise.
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

Always thought he was a bit odd.

But a couple of years ago when I was manning the ABR stand at the NEC bike show I met him outside while having a fag break, we had a good natter.
As his stand was near ours he would give me a nod when going for a fag.

Very interesting guy with many biking ideas for TV that he's keen to try.

One of the few to get bikes on TV.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Sleepy wrote:I've recently been catching up with the Travel Channel and The Greatest Motorcycle Rides, and generally enjoying them all... Despite Henry Cole :laugh:

I didn't know anything about Mr Cole, and it wasn't until reading about him in the latest Mag, that it turned out that he's been riding for most of his life.

I was convinced that he was a 'Born Again' rider or had only been riding for a few years, his peculiar riding style (hanging off a KTM on a barely noticeable curve!) his apparent lack of any motorcycle clothing, his absolute love of dead straight roads.. etc, all made me think he was very inexperienced.

This is not a dig at him, but it just goes to show how I got the wrong impression of Henry.
Shame that many "All the Gear.....No Idea" motorcyclists stereotype those that don't conform to the Desert suit, GS & Tin box Brigade.
I couldn't give a toss but you've hit the nail on the head......there really is an annoying psychological barrier between the two species. :whistle:
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
scotsy

Post by scotsy »

He did one a while back where he went to Bonneville Salt flats and broke a speed record on a mates Vincent bike during which he hung on to an almighty tank slapper.

He pulled the cameraman aside and confessed 'on camera' that 20 years ago to the day he was a hopeless drug addict and that the record breaking date was the anniversary of 20 years of being CLEAN.

It was very moving and although I don't enjoy ALL that he does on TV I nowadays respect the guy :) http://www.travelchannel.co.uk/shows/th ... -challenge
artic fox

Post by artic fox »

I like his shows and not only did he kick his drug habit he also said he doesn't drink any more either, so all praise to him for that it's just his presentation that I'm not to keen on, he does sometimes come over like a petulant child if things don't go his way and he can be a bit sarcastic with some people he interviews.
Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 »

I was convinced that he was a 'Born Again' rider or had only been riding for a few years

Ive never felt comfortable when ive heard that phrase "Born again biker". Seems some what eliteist or snobish even. What does it matter when a person got into bikes as long as they are, right! I know guys who have been into bikes 40 plus years and have never ridden outside N Ireland. I also know a young lady from my home town who has only been riding a couple of years and has allready been around the world. I know guys who have never owned a bike but are spanner men. Have worked on race bikes and never miss a race event here and have a wealth of knowledge going back generations. Growing up in Ballymoney in the 70s at the time of the Armoy Armada Joey Dunlop, Jim Dunlop, Mervyn Robinson, Frank Kennedy all but one long dead, then later Robert Dunlop killed raceing in the sport they loved. Watching his sons Michael and William race now its odd if a Ballymoney dosent like bikes. As a kid we bought old mopeds from the local scrap yards. My first being an NSU step through as we called them. We raced them around the country lanes with no attention from the police. (bigger worries in those days) Then i did 23 years in the Army when i stepped in and out of bikeing several times. So what category am i ? I personally just see other bikers and make a point to nod at kids on mopeds. Ive not forgotten my roots.
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

I've never considered the 'Born Again' tag as an insult or elitist, it is what it is.

A description to describe someone who rode bikes regularly awhile ago and has returned 'to the fold'.

A classic example in my village an acquaintance my age (65), an old 'Rocker' hasn't ridden or owned a bike since the 70's, came and asked me for advice on clothing and what bikes are about these days.

He said himself he was a born again biker, and didn't think it was insulting or demeaning.
Throttled

Post by Throttled »

His relative lack of protective kit is balanced by his leisurely style of riding. His backside must be made of iron, that Saxon he rode down the east coast of the USA did not look comfortable at all.
YBR125 > KLE500 + KLE650 Versys Tourer

Return to “ABR MAGAZINE”