A little moan about the latest issue #22.

Announcements, comments, moans, praise, suggestions, mags missing in the post etc – if it's to do with Adventure Bike Rider magazine post it up here.
Simon_100

Re: A little moan about the latest issue #22.

Post by Simon_100 »

Willandkate wrote:
jasext wrote:Just out of interest, in the product tests it would be good to know how they were tested and how long for.
I have seen some reviews where they receive items for test , play with them for a day and write a review based on that. They don't actually spend any time with the items
I agree with Jase. When testing an erection it is important to put it through all types of conditions. Wet n windy, dry and inhospitable and also very important to test time to deploy said erection for purposes intended
I agree with Will, deployment time for erection is just as important, in some cases more so, than comfort, etc. although of course impermeability is of the essence and ease of fitting all forms of protection against adverse conditions should be a top priority.

But don't forget that on occasion striking camp in emergency situations is also necessary, and the ease of deflating the erection and packing away, sometimes only half dismantled, and getting clear of the danger zone can be of vital importance to the true Adventure Bike Rider.

Luckily these situations can be prepared for in the safety on one's own home, packing the erection into such useful hidy-holes as wardrobes, fire escapes, etc.

And don't forget that once clear of the danger zone, it's an easy matter to stop in mid-flight to adjust strapping, stuff sacks, etc. and so continue one's voyage to the next oasis in comfort and safety . . . :evil: :evil: :evil:

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

The Spanish Biker wrote:
Willandkate wrote:
jasext wrote:Just out of interest, in the product tests it would be good to know how they were tested and how long for.
I have seen some reviews where they receive items for test , play with them for a day and write a review based on that. They don't actually spend any time with the items
I agree with Jase. When testing an erection it is important to put it through all types of conditions. Wet n windy, dry and inhospitable and also very important to test time to deploy said erection for purposes intended
I agree with Will, deployment time for erection is just as important, in some cases more so, than comfort, etc. although of course impermeability is of the essence and ease of fitting all forms of protection against adverse conditions should be a top priority.

But don't forget that on occasion striking camp in emergency situations is also necessary, and the ease of deflating the erection and packing away, sometimes only half dismantled, and getting clear of the danger zone can be of vital importance to the true Adventure Bike Rider.

Luckily these situations can be prepared for in the safety on one's own home, packing the erection into such useful hidy-holes as wardrobes, fire escapes, etc.

And don't forget that once clear of the danger zone, it's an easy matter to stop in mid-flight to adjust strapping, stuff sacks, etc. and so continue one's voyage to the next oasis in comfort and safety . . . :evil: :evil: :evil:

Regs

Simon
absolutely agree mate especially if her old man is/was a Royal Machine er sorry marine
:pinch: (thumbs)
I had no problem deflating and packing away anything at the time :whistle:

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Hmmm, curiouser and curiouser . . .

I've just used the best word reference engine I know - which is saying a lot! - for an antonym for 'deploy', which struck me a suitable military type term favoured by a lot of blokes here :)

In descending order of use/preference:

2 withhold
1 withdraw
0 brutalize
0 circumscribe
0 compact
0 concentration
0 mask
0 not use
0 shrivel
0 squeeze
0 tamp
0 taper
0 wane

source: http://www.powerthesaurus.org/deploy#ixzz31mTM34iT

Hmm; I suppose "withdraw" is obvious and "shrivel" is normal, though cruel, in most folk's experience as is "squeeze", perhaps. But "tamp" I'm really not sure about. Maybe it's time to pass this one over to the ladies for their views . . .

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
andymac

Post by andymac »

I didn't get issue 21, and I've not got 22 :sick: _
work hard,,,,,,,,,,,play harder !!
sexysi

Post by sexysi »

Totally agree with mike on this one.

What a good idea I just bought a yellow stone Ultra lite sleeping bag from Tesco's 2 season bag, which I will test out round europe next month.

The reason for buying 750grams in weight and it packs up to a small 26cm x 15cm, so very small and sub £25 from Tesco's.

will let you guys know what it is like sleeping in it.

And tent review ok, maybe run a sub £100 review or even a second hand review, as you can get some half decent stuff on Gumtree or Preloved.

si
Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

2013 Triumph tiger 800 xc

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

https://www.youtube.com/user/kentbyways

http://www.kent-byways.co.uk/

Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

Poor Nathan, give him a break, it's not like he's got an office full of people with nothing to do (do you even have a office?)

Getting involved is as simple as volunteering an idea, and being prepared to have it turned down without malice of course. We all have silly ideas at times. I wrote a bit for issue 21 which I cringe at for being wildly unadventurous, but it fitted the theme so went in. I might punt a few more ideas, Nathan's likely to point out the problems and who knows something might get published.

I suppose a way to involve people in tests would be to ask if they'd had any long term issues, for example with tents it might focus on things like seams going or poles fatiguing or material becoming porous, similar for jackets, etc. But it's a lot more work to throw at our dear editor, subbing and proofing someone else's text is often more time consuming than writing your own.

I should go buy the mag really or sneak a peek at Tricky's subscription copy which is sitting on the table waiting for him to come and pick up.
Happiness has 125cc ...
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Elle wrote:If you want to find proper lightweight tents, don't look in bike magazines, buy one aimed at hikers or adventure walkers (or whatever they're called now) :)

I've never had an expensive tent so can't comment about how good they are. I'd take a lot of convincing. If I paid £300 for a tent then accidentally ripped it or worse, someone else did, I'd be devastated - £300 is a lot of petrol.
I've got both ends of the spectrum:

A Terra Nova Laser Competition 1

It is designed for mountain marathons. One person only but fairly generous, you can sit up inside it (in the middle) and there's a porch area that you can cook in or store muddy boots, luggage etc. One hooped pole in the middle and two short vertical poles that remain inside the tent when packed at either end. It's a two skin tent so no real condensation issues and the inner and outer tents stay attached to each other so very easy and quick to pitch. It came with some mickey mouse carbon fibre pegs so I've replaced them with proper lightweight alloy pegs (they are now supplied with alloy as standard). 5000mm hydrostatic head flysheet and 6000mm ground sheet so very waterproof and the material is proper rip stop nylon so very tough.

The weight is 910g (970g packed) and it packs to just 40cm x 12cm (diameter) so perfect when travelling light e.g. when green laning with luggage.

The bad side? A retail price of £330 (but I got an ex demo tent direct from Terra Nova for £220 but it looked just like new).
DSCF0985_2014-05-15.JPG
DSCF0985_2014-05-15.JPG (82.28 KiB) Viewed 2104 times

However when weight/pack size is not an issue I use:

Hi Gear Neutron 3

A three man tent (although it would be a bit tight) so plenty of room for one and all your gear. Three poles but two fit through the inner tent, one in the flysheet, so has to be pitched inner first (a pain in the rain). The porch doesn't give much shelter from rain (a problem with this style of tent) but cured by parking the bike in right place (see picture). Fly sheet is only 1500mm hydrostatic head but it hasn't leaked yet (and survived a trip to Ireland so got well tested)! Groundsheet is 3000mm.

Weight is a reasonable 3.7kg and it packs to an equally reasonable 48 x 15 x 15 cm (and it actually fits back in the bag)

And the good news? It only costs £49.99 although I got mine on offer at £42
StMargarets002.jpg
StMargarets002.jpg (34.27 KiB) Viewed 2104 times
And I agree Nathan's doing a great job especially as he has to deliver all them letters each day in his other job :whistle:

Now do I get the job as tent reviewer ;)
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Freeloadeur wrote: I should go buy the mag really or sneak a peek at Tricky's subscription copy which is sitting on the table waiting for him to come and pick up.
Alex, you should take a peek, you've got a (short) quote on Page 8!
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Just got an email from Cotswold Outdoor to say they have a sale of tents on, looks like some savings to be had..
The Wilbur

Post by The Wilbur »

Still awaiting delivery of my subscribed copy, & we've not even had the vote on the Independence yet :dry:
SUCK : SQUEEZE : BANG : BLOW

www.f650.co.uk

Return to “ABR MAGAZINE”