Small bike Touring / Adventuring

Announcements, comments, moans, praise, suggestions, mags missing in the post etc – if it's to do with Adventure Bike Rider magazine post it up here.
stevewatkin

Small bike Touring / Adventuring

Post by stevewatkin »

Love the 125 stuff and all the small bike ABR info. Guess us small bike people don't have as much disposable income as the big bike guys. It's always appreciated when you feature more affordable stuff.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Honda CB500 (1997)

Honda CG125 (1996)

Honda C90 (2001)

Orpington, UK.
big al

Re: Small bike Touring / Adventuring

Post by big al »

Don't matter what you ride Steve Big or small, its all adventure riding as long as you enjoy
What you do.
lodgey

Post by lodgey »

Just you enjoy what you do Steve cos in this game size realy dosnt matter.I have a blah blah blah but for a fun hours ride out after work then its no question 1980 C70,ace fun and people relate to em!Gonna do a big explore on it one day.
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

Small bike stuff? Where? ;-)

Small bike touring is an acquired taste and not for everyone, some of us will say it's the way forward, some of us will say it's not their thing but it's great that we can all share in the important thing, enjoying the ride.
Happiness has 125cc ...
peterekins

Post by peterekins »

Good point about its the ride that matters, but me and trace are planning a west coast of Scotland in the Autumn, about 300 miles just to a good starting point. on the XJR strait there in 5/6 hours, on the c90,s, because she wants to ride it rather than sit on the back, probably nearer 2 days, and can't afford to take 4 days of the holliday just getting there and back, so it could be a hire van there and back costing about £100 plus fuel so sort of defeats the object and becomes unjustifiable.
So the point I'm making is that, unless time isn't an issue then it can be a bit inconveinyent and limiting.
Other than that for a bimble on a sunny afternoon, its nearly always the Cub.
stevewatkin

Post by stevewatkin »

peterekins wrote:Good point about its the ride that matters, but me and trace are planning a west coast of Scotland in the Autumn, about 300 miles just to a good starting point. on the XJR strait there in 5/6 hours, on the c90,s, because she wants to ride it rather than sit on the back, probably nearer 2 days, and can't afford to take 4 days of the holliday just getting there and back, so it could be a hire van there and back costing about £100 plus fuel so sort of defeats the object and becomes unjustifiable.
So the point I'm making is that, unless time isn't an issue then it can be a bit inconveinyent and limiting.
Other than that for a bimble on a sunny afternoon, its nearly always the Cub.
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Wouldn't it be great if we could take these little bikes on the train?
S'pose if you only have a small bike you have to plan accordingly.
I do agree as well "it's about the journey" not the destination so much.
Honda CB500 (1997)

Honda CG125 (1996)

Honda C90 (2001)

Orpington, UK.
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

Ah but a 90 is at the extremes of small bike touring, pick something like a Varadero or Derbi Terra Adventure and you can cruise all day at 60-70mph so that 300 miles is doable in 6 hours. In fact if you're sticking to the speed limits in this Gatso-ridden country then a modern 125cc is perfectly capable as long as you're comfortable on it.

Where the difference comes is motorways. I don't think anyone on a small bike is that happy when the majority of the traffic is going as fast or faster than their maximum speed. So you steer clear and use A and B roads far more. Inevitably they take a more indirect route and take you through villages and towns where you have to reduce your speed further so adding more to your journey time or restricting your daily mileage.

The challenge then comes in finding enjoyable routes so that you don't ride somewhere to start your trip, you start your trip the moment you get on your bike.
Happiness has 125cc ...
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

If I could get a 400cc Suzuki Vanvan I would buy it tomorrow. Ideal for those longer distance UK trips and it would cope with gravel trails. Failing that I may get something I can put in my VW Transporter alongside my Wife's 125 Vanvan and just drive up to the camp site (thumbs) .
Lucky enough to both have 3 day weekends starting today so more chances to get up to The Lakes, Yorkshire etc :) :) :)
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
stevewatkin

Post by stevewatkin »

Freeloadeur wrote: you don't ride somewhere to start your trip, you start your trip the moment you get on your bike.
That's it, by jove i think you've got it ;) ;)
Honda CB500 (1997)

Honda CG125 (1996)

Honda C90 (2001)

Orpington, UK.
Elle

Post by Elle »

peterekins wrote:Good point about its the ride that matters, but me and trace are planning a west coast of Scotland in the Autumn...
on the XJR strait there in 5/6 hours, on the c90,s, probably nearer 2 days, and can't afford to take 4 days of the holliday just getting there and back....
Agreed :)
For me, going away for anything more than 3-4 hour ride isn't an option on my small bike. Route planning becomes a real skill to ensure avoidance of fast roads and big towns. In fact it becomes a chore more than a fun ride.
It's why, last summer, I gave in, sold my car to buy an MPV which I still use as a car and put 2 bikes in. It's amazing how much more camping gear I can take too :whistle:
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way

Return to “ABR MAGAZINE”