Truly Great Issue - Thank You All.

Announcements, comments, moans, praise, suggestions, mags missing in the post etc – if it's to do with Adventure Bike Rider magazine post it up here.
aliwakeskate

Re: Truly Great Issue - Thank You All.

Post by aliwakeskate »

Have to agree. This issue is fantastic! Top job ABR team.
Barcelona Pat

Post by Barcelona Pat »

nathanthepostman wrote:I have to implore everyone to read the GS on a raft around the Darien Gap feature. Such a stunning adventure.
Nathan
I've not seen the mag yet - but I'm assuming you are referring to Dylan's epic adventure (can't imagine any others are that crazy!). I met him in Canada on my way up, and him on his way down. What an incredible bloke, and his story is even more so. If people are interested in more, his You Tube vids are also worth a watch... some great stuff in Mexico in particular. He captures in sweat and film what solo adventuring is all about.
Cheers
Pat
nathanthepostman

Post by nathanthepostman »

Yeah that's the chap Pat. He's written a great piece about his time on the raft and how the dolphins led him back to shore! There's a youtube video for that as well.
gebrauchtwagen83

Post by gebrauchtwagen83 »

Freeloadeur wrote:I just wanted to thank everyone for what is a particularly good issue. I'd become slightly jaded with ABR I'll admit, buying it more because it was the only option and because I felt I ought to support the magazine that brings me this forum than because I was actually enjoying the magazine, which would tend to be flicked through over the month rather than read cover to cover.

This month's though is different, maybe more reflective, perhaps even philosophical, less about the expensive toys which are out of my price range and more about just doing it. From the insightful Austin Vince interview which felt like you'd spent a whole day and run up a decent sized bar bill, to Mike Beddows's wholely doable Andorran ride, to Nathan and Dorothy's American adventures, to the CCM GP450 test, to the inclusion of a reasonably priced Karrimor tent in the group test, everything felt tighter, more focused, better.

Yes, I'm sure some will miss the big bike, big bucks, look at the shiny farkles approach that has sometimes made reading ABR feel like looking through a catalogue of things I don't want and can't afford where I couldn't always tell advert from editorial, but for me this slight air of just ride is fantastic. And is it my imagination or is the font slightly smaller, the text slightly closer so we get more words per article?

Sure there's still things I'd love to see, in depth secondhand buyers guides to adventure bikes, more gear tests with at least one budget alternative, maybe a series running over several mags for those just starting out on their biking life "So you want to be an adventure biker..." which perhaps highlights Austin's philosophy that anyone can do it, it's not something dangerous that you need a Ewan & Charley sized crew and budget for, to draw in new, maybe young, riders. Perhaps they'll happen, perhaps I'm the only one who wants to see them. .

I don't know if it's something that Mr Millward has brought with him, or Alun's brush with mortality or both or neither but long may it continue, thank you all.

I'm the same and agree with almost all of that.
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

Enjoying it so far - only got as far as the Austin Vince article as yet - a real eye-opener for me, I'd never considered LWR as a negative thing but I can see Austin's viewpoint - must track down his video now :dry:
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

nathanthepostman wrote:I have to implore everyone to read the GS on a raft around the Darien Gap feature. Such a stunning adventure.
I preferred the story about the nutter heading to Alaska on the wrong type of bike ;)
Happiness has 125cc ...
wianbiggar

Post by wianbiggar »

Yep - it's a good one.
Ian
nathanlee

Post by nathanlee »

HarveyCamm wrote:Enjoying it so far - only got as far as the Austin Vince article as yet - a real eye-opener for me, I'd never considered LWR as a negative thing but I can see Austin's viewpoint - must track down his video now :dry:
Not read it yet (picked it up first thing this morning though), but I presume you mean Mondo Enduro?

Well... :)

http://mcn-tv.com/video.jsp?c=1&videoId=12&source=5

MCN have a TV channel on that internet. Mondo Enduro is on there, and it's about £4 per month to sign up. Plenty of good watching on there. You can cancel anytime, so £4 for a month of bike related viewing is well worth it in my opinion. No connection apart from enjoying the service.
nathanlee

Post by nathanlee »

p.s. It's definitely worth watching. One of the most inspirational films I've ever seen.
moto al

Post by moto al »

Ye looks good, tes, a perfect afternoon ,cheers alun
image_2013-09-03-4.jpg
image_2013-09-03-4.jpg (91.5 KiB) Viewed 2630 times
;)
moto al

Return to “ABR MAGAZINE”