IMO

Announcements, comments, moans, praise, suggestions, mags missing in the post etc – if it's to do with Adventure Bike Rider magazine post it up here.
The dogs

IMO

Post by The dogs »

Well folks, I have to say that I expected more from the article on adventure bikes in this issue than a look over 2012. Whether you didn't have the bikes at you disposal or not i don't know, but it would of been nice to see a big group test which included others less in the limelight. Maybe you're waiting to include the new Beemer if so your gonna have a long wait. Received an email from a dealer which went out to all its members to say, there will be no demo bikes till 2014 due to customer demand. Make the most of the launch if your invited as that's going to be the mags best shot at a feature. On another note, you did a great job of getting the mag out in the post and into the homes before Christmas.

Seasons greetings to all

John
V_King

Re: IMO

Post by V_King »

don't see the point of those big comparison articles.

nothing is well covered, conclusions are still subjective. unless the mag needs to fill in pages, which abr does not have a problem with.
""
sidestand

Post by sidestand »

Thanks John,

If your dealer is telling the truth about the demo bikes, then BMW have got it very wrong - there's no way that I'd be buying a £12K bike without trying it out first - even though I've already got a GSA, - the new one is radically different -I'm sure most potential buyers will be the same, as they've somewhat tarnished their reputation for outright quality in recent years - so their 'customer demand' will soon tail off !

Now if they meant Press Fleet, I could understand it, as the bike will sell itself to it's targeted customers if the ride is good enough- most of whom will ignore the bike press anyway ( especially as the whole of the Bauer Media lot only seem to be interested in the offerings coming out of Hinckley )
The dogs

Post by The dogs »

It wasn't our dealer I got the email from it was a UK south coast dealer. One I bought a couple of beemers from a few years back but still on their mailing list. It was also intimated that should one order a new bike for a deposit of just one hundred pounds, and didn't like it after it arrived, not a problem they old not be bound to the deal. Sounds like the dealer was trying to get his demo bike by fare means or foul.
One the point of group tests. Some of us are in areas where it isnt easy to hop from one franchise to another to compare and are pretty reliant on media coverage, good or not. However, I do agree with some media leaning more towards one make than another. No doubt there's something underlying....Ho, Ho, Ho.
*Touring Ted*

Post by *Touring Ted* »

I truly believe anyone would be mad to buy the NEW GS just yet. With or without a test ride.

BMW are notorious for using it's loyal customers as Guinea Pigs for their quality control.

Wait 12 months and let those with deeper pockets find all the problems.
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

From their web site:

ABS response and the integral brake distribution are adjusted to the conditions depending on the mode selected. Enduro Pro mode deactivates ABS on the rear wheel during more advanced off-road rides.

Looks like they have finally fixed those crap brakes and have gone one step on from the Yamaha ones.

For the first time, BMW Motorrad will be fitting a compact wet clutch that has been optimised specifically for the powerful torque delivery of the opposed twin engine. The rider benefits from the antihopping function, especially when shifting down hard with engaged foot brake. This minimises the typical deflection of the clutch lever, and at the same time optimising controllability and handling.

And finally, they have woken up and put in a sensible clutch. As for the "antihopping" and the "deflection of the clutch lever", I have no idea how they sort that unless they have fitted a KTM style racing clutch.

125 HP IN ONE HAND. The two throttle valves on the new R 1200 GS are actuated via servomotors, allowing fast adjustments to the engine and performance characteristics. Thanks to the electronic control of intake air quantity, both cruise control and the additional riding modes (both optional extras) can be integrated without much additional effort.

Electronic throttles and mode settings. Another copy from Yamaha possibly.

If it is reliable, it should be a great bike. We will wait and see I suppose.
sidestand

Post by sidestand »

I don't think there will be many glitches on the new GS - BMW simply can't afford them.

And this bike has been five years in development, so most wrinkles will have been ironed out, and the basic principles would have been long established before the new crop of 'adventure bikes' S10 included came out, so there will be precious little copying.

My biggest gripe with the new one will be that BMW have caved in to all the little snipes from Bike Journos & gone to the Japanese style single indicator switch - which is nowhere near as good as the 3 switch system once you are used to it.

Having said all this, I'd still point BMW to their old motto of 'Let the ride decide' & would insist on a half day test ride as a minimum before putting my name on the line to buy one :)
V_King

Post by V_King »

Old Git Ray wrote:From their web site:

ABS response and the integral brake distribution are adjusted to the conditions depending on the mode selected. Enduro Pro mode deactivates ABS on the rear wheel during more advanced off-road rides.

Looks like they have finally fixed those crap brakes and have gone one step on from the Yamaha ones.

For the first time, BMW Motorrad will be fitting a compact wet clutch that has been optimised specifically for the powerful torque delivery of the opposed twin engine. The rider benefits from the antihopping function, especially when shifting down hard with engaged foot brake. This minimises the typical deflection of the clutch lever, and at the same time optimising controllability and handling.

And finally, they have woken up and put in a sensible clutch. As for the "antihopping" and the "deflection of the clutch lever", I have no idea how they sort that unless they have fitted a KTM style racing clutch.

125 HP IN ONE HAND. The two throttle valves on the new R 1200 GS are actuated via servomotors, allowing fast adjustments to the engine and performance characteristics. Thanks to the electronic control of intake air quantity, both cruise control and the additional riding modes (both optional extras) can be integrated without much additional effort.

Electronic throttles and mode settings. Another copy from Yamaha possibly.

If it is reliable, it should be a great bike. We will wait and see I suppose.
what a great example of brand loyalty :)

all listed above - slipper clutch, fly by wire technology, distributed abs, are nothing new, and you can find the majority in one or other form in many EFI bikes for the last decade.
bmw had everything in one form or another already in their bikes, it just takes them longer to implement new models into their production - same sensor must fit a 5k bike and 100k car, for the next decade, to cut costs :laugh:
""

Return to “ABR MAGAZINE”