Helmet Tests... Some Thoughts

Announcements, comments, moans, praise, suggestions, mags missing in the post etc – if it's to do with Adventure Bike Rider magazine post it up here.
Freeloadeur

Helmet Tests... Some Thoughts

Post by Freeloadeur »

I finally got around to buying this month's mag, and was really pleased to see a test of the Acerbis Active as it's a helmet I've got my eye on. Overall I thought it was a useful mini-review right up until I got to The fit is good, but the sizing is a bit off... which didn't offer a lot of help. What size does Paul usually take? Where was the helmet tight? What shape head does he have?

With more and more internet shopping and bike shops closing by the day it can be really hard to find anyone near who stocks the product we're after. Add in the fact that some mail order companies won't exchange or refund helmet purchases and it gets more and more important to know the as much as possible about the fit, not just the sizing. I'll happily do a day's riding if I'm fairly certain my head and the helmet are going to match, but to ride a hundred or so miles on the off-chance? I think not.

So is it possible to add something about the helmet shape to tests? It doesn't have to be much, WebBikeWorld have developed a simple system from long and thin head like a 0, to round head like a O, and a sliding scale in between. From past experience I know I'm round head so with their system I can be reasonably sure which helmets will suit my head and which will always be uncomfortable no matter what size I buy.
Happiness has 125cc ...
Gavinskii

Re: Helmet Tests... Some Thoughts

Post by Gavinskii »

This is a topic very related to me.

I chose and ordered the Duchinni D311
http://www.ghostbikes.com/products/4894 ... elmet.html which is from what I understand a badged version of the Acerbis Active complete with sun visor and D rings!

Anyway it arrived yesterday and is too tight even though I ordered an XL. I chose the size based upon the following.
My Airoh is an XL and is the lose side of very comfortable.
My Marushin is an L and is very comfortable.

Therefore based upon various reports on ABR and + PJ's report, I ordered the XL and it is way too tight :(
The good news is that Ghostbikes will take it back no questions asked :)

Being a skier, I know the frustration of buying ski boots and your feet are better suited to a Saloman or a Nordica etc. Anyway I always get my boots fitted by a store. However, I couldn't find any dealers in the locality who stocked any of the derivatives of this helmet.

So if you are after a White D311 in XL (that from experience I would personally rate as an L) and are going to the ABR Peaks event this week give me a shout before I return it!
R1150GS

Montesa 4Ride

KLX 250

Suzuki Beamish

2011 Nature Rally - Bronze Award
father zed

Post by father zed »

Tis the great weak chink for web retail innit ;)

I've always favoured an approach where shops refused to allow the return of helmets --
-- on the simple basis that it is impossible to know what has happened to them once they've
left the store....

This runs contrary to the usual UK consumer rights, but as a helmet user myself, I
have favoured this approach, and found it easy enough to make sure that I'd got the right size
before leaving the shop...... being methodical, and taking your time helps blahdy blah...

You can't try things on in 'web shops' can you. Which is a key disadvantage, and if
you do find a supplier that accepts returns, then you might find yourself wondering if
you were the first person to take "x" helmet out of its box :unsure:

Hopefully enough bike shops will survive this horrible economic climate to ensure that
this aspect of old fashioned shopping continues...

:)
Frustrated Nomad :-) (but one day, things will change)
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Bike shops need to adapt to the market though. The stats of this years bike sales show that sports and touring sales have fallen off a cliff, but adventure sales are up by 20 something percent. Where I live (north west), there are too many "motorcycle gear" shops and only one adventure based shop. Each time I go to a local place for say, brake fluid or whatever, they never change. The Rocket centre is a huge bespoke stand-alone place but their clothing selection is pretty much all sports bikes and touring, there is no adv stuff at all. They don't even sell panniers for example. All these places are stocked to the roof with oxford products and mainstream brands which are available much cheaper on the internet so it's no real wonder they're struggling.

So whilst it's sad to see shops disappear for employment reasons, unless the owners move with the times that's what's going to happen.
father zed

Post by father zed »

Mike54 wrote:Bike shops need to adapt to the market though. The stats of this years bike sales show that sports and touring sales have fallen off a cliff, but adventure sales are up by 20 something percent. Where I live (north west), there are too many "motorcycle gear" shops and only one adventure based shop. Each time I go to a local place for say, brake fluid or whatever, they never change. The Rocket centre is a huge bespoke stand-alone place but their clothing selection is pretty much all sports bikes and touring, there is no adv stuff at all. They don't even sell panniers for example. All these places are stocked to the roof with oxford products and mainstream brands which are available much cheaper on the internet so it's no real wonder they're struggling.

So whilst it's sad to see shops disappear for employment reasons, unless the owners move with the times that's what's going to happen.
Possible only a political sea-change will help biking now...
We could learn a lot from the 'bike mad' Italians and Spanish...... here, our govt doesn't seem
awake to the advantages bikes offer, and the potential of this industry sector...........

Interweb cheaper: hard to get around this. Possibly only way to get around this is have a foot in
both camps - web retail and 'old school' retailing... a la HG etc..

Touching on the panniers malarky, I think there is some credible reason for not stocking them,
or maintaining only a marginal range - luggage racking tends to be bespoke to 'x' bike, so I'd cut some
slack on this aspect personally... but wise retailers should make it clear that 'we can get ABC to order'

:)
Frustrated Nomad :-) (but one day, things will change)
Throttled

Post by Throttled »

I can understand why shops do not accept helmet returns, after all if it does not fit in the shop, why buy it? If it is faulty, they have to accept it as a return.
YBR125 > KLE500 + KLE650 Versys Tourer

Return to “ABR MAGAZINE”