Malicious behaviour, Tissington area.

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
Hugh

Malicious behaviour, Tissington area.

Post by Hugh »

Greetings folks,

I have just read a most worrying report on the APTR website of a transport webbing strap being secured across a ROW. First thing to say is that thankfully nobody was hurt. The incident took place on the UCR near to Tissington Ford, TW2 reference SK2050-04.

The Police have been informed but they needed to know the exact location. Map reading is an essential skill which could save a life in the event of needing to report a serious accident. Might I suggest that anybody who can not read a map takes a look at the video;

Another useful tool is the free phone app 'what3words' which is used by all of the emergency services;

https://what3words.com/pretty.needed.chill

An extra small low tech piece of safety equipment to carry with you is a whistle. Six blasts of a whistle, with a minute’s gap between each set, will let people know that you require assistance. The answering whistle should be three blasts but don’t stop whistling until your rescuers have reached you.

TTFN

Hugh.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Malicious behaviour, Tissington area.

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

If walkers can't behave responsibly then they should be banned from the route. It's those few hooligans that ruin it for everyone.
PDiddy

Post by PDiddy »

I had an issue last Saturday, a length of rope strung across Highfield Lane near Hartington, which had me off my bike and headfirst into a drystone wall. Both bike and my helmet damaged. I've reported the incident to the police who are investigating, but this is likely to have been a negligent farmer as it was close to the entrance to a field rather than deliberate. I was very lucky, however if it had been a child on a pushbike the rope would have been around their neck :oops:
Richard Simpson Mark II

Similar thing happened to my brother many years ago. He was marking out a track for a marathon on his trials bike with the farmer's permission, and the farmer 'forgot' about the barbed wire between two trees to turn the cows into a field.
He remembered when my bro knocked on his door, covered in blood and with his throat slashed.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Richard that was awful for your brother and for P your incident no less so. Please keep us informed as to any action that the Police propose to take.

I am very concerned that this sort of thing is happening too often around the Peak District as the recent incident is the second this year on that lane near Tissington. As you probably know I mostly ride in the Peak District and I try to keep a look out for any routes 'closed' off illegally or by fly tipping. Paul C, another rider on here, is also keen on observation and reporting potential problems.

TTFN

Hugh.
Richard Simpson Mark II

I recall back in the 1980s a chef in Bournemouth being killed on his motorbike by a rope strung between two trees across a suburban road.
IIRC the people who did it basically got let off, saying it was just a practical joke and they had no intention of harming anyone. Yeah, right.

If you look at pictures of Jeeps in Germany immediately after WWII they have a sort of vertical hook sticking up in front of the windscreen. Hardline Nazi 'werewolves' used to string cheesewire across the roads used by the US and British armies.

In my childhood< I was befriended by an old guy who was a veteran of WWi and had been in the HomeGuard in WWII. He showed me where they would string cheesewire between trees to catch German motorcycle scouts. Plus lots of other stuff (much involving beer-bottles, rags and petrol) besides.

Dad's Army it was not!

Not so much a case of 'they don't like it up 'em' as they wouldn't have liked it being dropped on them from the hedgerows of Dorset's sunken lanes.

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”