Wiltshire / Dorset off roading on a R1250GSA.

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
MarkieMark

Wiltshire / Dorset off roading on a R1250GSA.

Post by MarkieMark »

Hi everyone,
I ride a R1250GSA and fancy doing some gentle off road riding.
Anyone else fancy meeting up for an off road adventure sometime?
Or know of some good off road routes?
Was recently was shown a nice route from Tollard Royal.
Thanks very much.
bikenav

Re: Wiltshire / Dorset off roading on a R1250GSA.

Post by bikenav »

enjoyed riding down that way last year, unable to get there right now but maybe another time thanks for the invite
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I'd be interested later in the year when it's dried out a bit...Pint Master, myself and 'Iron' Mike Irving are going to have a Dad's Army On Tour type outing down there in August (that's 2 very expensive new big BMs, and my 950 KTM). We had a cracking time last summer, although the combination of massive ruts and high sidewinds on top of the Wiltshire downs was a bit of a challenge. More like sailing a dinghy than riding a motorcycle at times!
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Salisbury plain is all but shut down till September due to high military activity... But the shaftesbury drove from salisbury racecoarse to Fovant badges is piss easy the second section is interesting but taken slowly isn't hard..

The fosse way from castle comb race coarse to near Swindon is again easy scenic stuff.. But if any of the above is ridden after rain you'll need 50/50 tyres k60 minimum for safety... All the above routes are on a os map or osm mapping on a phone..
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

byewayrider wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:10 am Salisbury plain is all but shut down till September due to high military activity... But the shaftesbury drove from salisbury racecoarse to Fovant badges is piss easy the second section is interesting but taken slowly isn't hard..
Thanks for the Salisbury Plain heads up, I know there is a phone number to ring for info, but if i were to make a plan where would the best resource's be so as not be scratching challenger's with my bar end's. Or is it really local knowledge and contacts?
petecam

Post by petecam »

byewayrider wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:10 am Salisbury plain is all but shut down till September due to high military activity...
I did the Imber perimeter yesterday on my mountain bike. Conditions were very sloppy for this time of year. So I would avoid taking a big trail bike on the plains until we’ve had a run of dry weather!
Rallyx

Post by Rallyx »

bikenav wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:41 am
byewayrider wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:10 am Salisbury plain is all but shut down till September due to high military activity... But the shaftesbury drove from salisbury racecoarse to Fovant badges is piss easy the second section is interesting but taken slowly isn't hard..
Thanks for the Salisbury Plain heads up, I know there is a phone number to ring for info, but if i were to make a plan where would the best resource's be so as not be scratching challenger's with my bar end's. Or is it really local knowledge and contacts?
Spta Gov.uk has firing dates/times. OP will be up for a big bike run when it dries up a bit.

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”