GREEN LANE TYPE RIDING IN IRELAND

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
peebeeNI

GREEN LANE TYPE RIDING IN IRELAND

Post by peebeeNI »

Hi folks,

I haven’t found any recent posts about this so am asking for help…...have you any suggestions for green lane type riding in Ireland. I know it is a bit of a grey area here but if there were any forest tracks, bog roads, other unpaved roads that you could suggest it would be greatly appreciated. I am particularly interested in the NI/Donegal areas or the Northern half of the island, but anywhere at all in Ireland could get a visit if you thought it was good.

Cheers,

peebeeNI :shock:
Heff

Re: GREEN LANE TYPE RIDING IN IRELAND

Post by Heff »

Unfortunately theres not much in the way of green laning here in NI, you need to cross into Donegal or any of the border areas where you'll find lots of 'Boreens' (unsurfaced rural roads) which would fit the bill.

Where are you located?
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

The Paddy Dakar, will give you a taste, help you meet friends and people who know the Craic and might well be happy to meet up and go riding. 2021 will be my fifth I think. http://www.thepaddydakar.ie/gallery.html
Also Facebook. My understanding is that there are no legal rights of way like we have in the Uk , because all the land is owned by someone. But that doesn't mean that there are no routes.
peebeeNI

Post by peebeeNI »

Heff wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:34 pm Unfortunately theres not much in the way of green laning here in NI, you need to cross into Donegal or any of the border areas where you'll find lots of 'Boreens' (unsurfaced rural roads) which would fit the bill.

Where are you located?

Thanks for that

I'm in Fermanagh so South Donegal is quite handy. I've been advised that Google street maps is good to check surface of rural roads and have ordered an OS map of South Donegal so will see what I can find.

Thanks again and any more suggestions appreciated

peebeeNI
Heff

Post by Heff »

PeeBeeNI

If you do get some info, please post it on here 8-)

PS

Would you be interested in next years ABR Ireland Rally, cancelled this year due to the obvious spoiler virus, but our event was to be held in the Share Centre, Lisnaskea, right on your doorstep.

The 2021 event may be going back there, dependent on how the vaccine and everything else works out :!:

Here's hoping for a better biking 2021

;)
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
peebeeNI

Post by peebeeNI »

Heff wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:50 pm PeeBeeNI

If you do get some info, please post it on here 8-)

PS

Would you be interested in next years ABR Ireland Rally, cancelled this year due to the obvious spoiler virus, but our event was to be held in the Share Centre, Lisnaskea, right on your doorstep.

The 2021 event may be going back there, dependent on how the vaccine and everything else works out :!:

Here's hoping for a better biking 2021

;)

Hi

Google Street View has given me some possibilities but will have to confirm them on the ground. Google appear to go on some tracks that may not be strictly legal, including forestry tracks with the gates open. It'll be a couple of months before I venture out (lockdown/weather dependent) but will let you know how it goes. Will also keep an eye on ABR Ireland Rally location.

Many thanks

peebeeNI :shock:
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

I remember doing the Southern one, got talking to a local farmer and he asked me do you take that bike on the tracks I said yes, he then insisted I went on a little re-route he suggested, an easy enough wide loose rocky trail over a hill as I remember nice views easily done on road tyres, recommended, the other to the North I do not remember, so there can not have been any drama's involved. I have no idea of the legal status of either, so be it on your own head. These are both close to The Burren, between Limmerick and Galway, so right on the tourist loop, done a bit round Ireland and other than the odd dead end track up a hill or down to the sea not come across much myself. If you need better pics of the map let me know, should be enough to get you there though.
Screenshot (99).png
Screenshot (99).png (64.34 KiB) Viewed 2089 times
Screenshot (98).png
Screenshot (98).png (143.46 KiB) Viewed 2089 times
Attachments
Screenshot (99).png
Screenshot (99).png (64.34 KiB) Viewed 2089 times

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”