Riding in mud!

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
dibbs

Re: Riding in mud!

Post by dibbs »

bikenav wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:15 am from my experience if there is anything on the surface to allow the front to slide sideways your screwed, if there is a depression,virgin ground,rut or its totally flat for the front to track straight there is a chance for some fun, obviously tred choice will have huge influence too, square knobs are far better the sharper,deeper, the more widely spaced the better lower air pressure again will help. You can fit this type of tyre, sods law will say the time that you really need it it will already be half bald from using it on a completely unsuitable surface. The front karoo 3 is shit in mud, as are most others although the karoo's are good as an all round tyre compromise IMO. Very Important- if you go for Max Attack through a section make sure your mates are there with a camera. Not ridden an AT in the dirt the above is from mainly GS12,640A and numerous smaller dirt spinners. Plenty of mud here in Wales if wanna come and splash some out of the way for me. Happy splashing may your sumpguard be dirty and your grips be clean all Xmas.
Thanks, and you are right the front Karoo does slide sideways alot!!!! I really would like to ride off road all year round but my enthusiasm far outweighs my skill :lol: :lol: i must stop watching all those Chris Birch vids on you tube and just ride it in spring/summer and keep the Husky for the winter!
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

It's all about confidence and for that you need the right tyres that grip and allow you to keep up momentum.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Tonibe63 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:31 am It's all about confidence and for that you need the right tyres that grip and allow you to keep up momentum.
I guess you are right Tonibe. Ive been looking at a set of Motoz Rallz as they seem to fit the bill. I can see another tyre post coming up about which is the best winter/mud slinging tyre to use!!! what do you suggest?
tuftywhite

Post by tuftywhite »

I've done a fair bit of off-road riding, but would never consider myself confident on loose ground.

As soon as the wheels go sideways as well as forward, that's when I get all nervous, slow down and slip around a bit.

If you recognise this behaviour, then tyres may help. I'm currently using Pirelli MT21s for off-road stuff, (more aggressive tyres are available) which I find give that little bit more grip when it's slippy and then that gives me a bit more confidence to go a bit faster, which actually improves the ride. (They're really not too bad on the road either!)

More experienced riders that I have ridden with, seem to commit with a lot more speed and, therefore, momentum, and control any sliding with balance and thrust.

This seems to be a case of mind over matter and the more 'gung-ho' you are, it seems, the better you'll progress.

As the kid who was always scared to jump the stream aged 10, I've yet to get to that level of 'gung-ho' and refuse to get drunk enough, and then ride a bike.

I find myself still tackling loose surfaces slowly, improving incrementally until I haven't been out for a while, then I have to start getting used to it again.

Grip is king ultimately, and a 50/50 or 60/40 tyre isn't really going to cut it on a slightly heavier bike when the going gets muddy (depending on experience). You may consider getting a spare set of wheels or be prepared to change your tyres when you want to go off-road.
Last edited by tuftywhite on Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rallyx

Post by Rallyx »

I guess you are right Tonibe. Ive been looking at a set of Motoz Rallz as they seem to fit the bill. I can see another tyre post coming up about which is the best winter/mud slinging tyre to use!!! what do you suggest?
[/quote]

I've got rall z on AT square blocks on front help, run 20 psi off road. About half worn at 4000 miles front is cupping with road use. Good tyre apart from that but all knobbies will.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

tuftywhite wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:00 pm I've done a fair bit of off-road riding, but would never consider myself confident on loose ground.

As soon as the wheels go sideways as well as forward, that's when I get all nervous, slow down and slip around a bit.

If you recognise this behaviour, then tyres may help. I'm currently using Pirelli MT21s for off-road stuff, (more aggressive tyres are available) which I find give that little bit more grip when it's slippy and then that gives me a bit more confidence to go a bit faster, which actually improves the ride. (They're really not too bad on the road either!)

More experienced riders that I have ridden with, seem to commit with a lot more speed and, therefore, momentum, and control any sliding with balance and thrust.

This seems to be a case of mind over matter and the more 'gung-ho' you are, it seems, the better you'll progress.

As the kid who was always scared to jump the stream aged 10, I've yet to get to that level of 'gung-ho' and refuse to get drunk enough, and then ride a bike.

I find myself still tacking loose surfaces slowly, improving incrementally until I haven't been out for a while, then I have to start getting used to it again.

Grip is king ultimately, and a 50/50 or 60/40 tyre isn't really going to cut it on a slightly heavier bike when the going gets muddy (depending on experience). You may consider getting a spare set of wheels or be prepared to change your tyres when you want to go off-road.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: thats exactly how i am!!! couldnt have put it better myself!
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

It's probably not appropriate for trail riding but power can help. There is a video of David Knight somewhere on the internet ploughing through a field at full pelt with his rear wheel spinning at a zillion miles an hour and throwing up a plume of dirt about 30 metres into the air like a Catherine wheel on steroids...whilst everyone else in the race is floundering next to their bogged down bikes... :lol: 8-).
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

The very high spinning speed of the rear tyre keeps the tread clear of mud and it bites down through the gloop to find firmer ground. Good enduro technique. Of course the rider helps!
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

Or sometimes you just get stuck :lol:
P9280306.JPG
P9280306.JPG (80.04 KiB) Viewed 2810 times
20191218_002129.jpg
20191218_002129.jpg (46.06 KiB) Viewed 2810 times
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Stuck you say....
Stuck.jpeg
Stuck.jpeg (78.76 KiB) Viewed 2761 times
A group of us failed to get this out. Took a passing landrover to pull it out
Last edited by beddowsm on Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”