Riding in mud!

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
dibbs

Riding in mud!

Post by dibbs »

So after todays ride im wondering how many of you ride off road in real muddy conditions. I think i would have found it impossible today on the Africa twin, is it all about tyre choice? (I have karoo 3) at present. I know some lanes start off ok then develope into the somme! Do you just plough on through or not go out if its looking wet/muddy? Ive watched countless vids of others mud plugging on big bikes and they always eem to get there in the end, but it looks really tough.
Cone

Re: Riding in mud!

Post by Cone »

Think it depends on the type of rider you are if your willing to put in the hard work then it can be very fun and satisfying. If your on your own and there’s a risk of getting stuck then the answer would always be no
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

Cone wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:33 pm Think it depends on the type of rider you are if your willing to put in the hard work then it can be very fun and satisfying. If your on your own and there’s a risk of getting stuck then the answer would always be no
I would concur with that. As a seventeen year old on an SL125 I was once riding across a building site ( a short cut) at dusk and got stuck it thick thick clay up to the wheel spindles , never mind I thought a quick rev up to the red line and drop the clutch in first will free it off....... Engine stops dead.

It took 2 hours of digging by hand , 2 lost socks , me absolutely plastered in mud from head to foot , I eventually got home at about 7pm . My Mum, total sense of humour failure. A lesson learned.
Mike Wright

Post by Mike Wright »

For me its having the right tyres, bike and mental attitude as sometimes its easy to get into the mud but not so easy to get out. The AT is a big heavy bike in the mud so momentum is your friend if you have suitable tyres to get traction when you need it. Of course the right tyres can mean a terrible road ride as a cost. Devon has lanes at both ends of the scale which my friend on his AT simply cannot make some of them on his regardless of speed, traction and determination. Choosing the right routes for the type of bike for me makes a more enjoyable day out as I dont like pushing, lifting and digging bikes out as a bikes for riding :D
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Mud eh :lol: witshire and hampshire and sussex are full of it at moment ..big bikes no fun but doable with full on knobblys, ride faster to clear tread so you have some steering but its lock to lock :o ...a powerfull bike is even worse as the torque spins wheel up ..on my old ccm with maxxis it tyres it was fun in a sicko kinda way...find puddles to clean treads too...you get used to the bike moving around under you and going all over...

Clay is the evil stuff...bastard to clear from tread and sucks you it...slippy under foot too...
Rallyx

Post by Rallyx »

Weight on atas front wheel 120kg with tools tubes on crash bars, heavier than my husaberg enduro bike total. Front wheel will berry its self in anything but half decent conditions.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Here's what to do...

As soon as you get stuck, start laughing - it's funny isn't it?

Then make sure someone you love is right behind you when you twist open the throttle.

Then keep the gas pinned wide open even though you are not getting anywhere. Dig an even deeper trench.

Stop for a while to take a picture of how stupidly buried the bike now is.

Repeat above...

dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Tramp wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:02 am Mud eh :lol: witshire and hampshire and sussex are full of it at moment ..big bikes no fun but doable with full on knobblys, ride faster to clear tread so you have some steering but its lock to lock :o ...a powerfull bike is even worse as the torque spins wheel up ..on my old ccm with maxxis it tyres it was fun in a sicko kinda way...find puddles to clean treads too...you get used to the bike moving around under you and going all over...

Clay is the evil stuff...bastard to clear from tread and sucks you it...slippy under foot too...
You are right about the clay Russ Essex is full of it! nasty stuff...
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

daveuprite wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:39 am Here's what to do...

As soon as you get stuck, start laughing - it's funny isn't it?

Then make sure someone you love is right behind you when you twist open the throttle.

Then keep the gas pinned wide open even though you are not getting anywhere. Dig an even deeper trench.

Stop for a while to take a picture of how stupidly buried the bike now is.

Repeat above...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i'll try that next time out!
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

from my experience if there is anything on the surface to allow the front to slide sideways your screwed, if there is a depression,virgin ground,rut or its totally flat for the front to track straight there is a chance for some fun, obviously tred choice will have huge influence too, square knobs are far better the sharper,deeper, the more widely spaced the better lower air pressure again will help. You can fit this type of tyre, sods law will say the time that you really need it it will already be half bald from using it on a completely unsuitable surface. The front karoo 3 is shit in mud, as are most others although the karoo's are good as an all round tyre compromise IMO. Very Important- if you go for Max Attack through a section make sure your mates are there with a camera. Not ridden an AT in the dirt the above is from mainly GS12,640A and numerous smaller dirt spinners. Plenty of mud here in Wales if wanna come and splash some out of the way for me. Happy splashing may your sumpguard be dirty and your grips be clean all Xmas.

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”