OS Mapping question

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
HarveyCamm

OS Mapping question

Post by HarveyCamm »

What's people interpretation of routes marked with green dots such as

OS map.jpg
OS map.jpg (41.86 KiB) Viewed 5028 times
The map legends suggest
OS Guide.jpg
OS Guide.jpg (19.43 KiB) Viewed 5028 times
Do you ride the green dot routes & green diamonds or steer clear? I know in the top example that the green crosses are a byway open to all traffic I just fuzzy on the dot paths, on the ground this example is a firm track at the edge of fields that looks in regular vehicle use farmer or otherwise.

Thanks
Harvey
byewayrider

Re: OS Mapping question

Post by byewayrider »

For clarification look on your local council rights of way defi active map or contact the rights of way officer for the district you wish to ride..

They know of any tro etc or diversion not on os maps as they aren't upto date lol..
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
Cone

Post by Cone »

Ride it unless there’s a sign that says dont
markoh

Post by markoh »

Hi All, is it a requirement for a notice to be posted where a restriction is placed on a BOAT?
tuftywhite

Post by tuftywhite »

I'm with you Harv,

I've aways avoided the dots routes, however, I've been taken along routes with the dots, and have also noticed that parts of the TET in the UK follow the dotted routes, so I'm now assuming that unless signposted closed, that they're rideable.

Let me know if you want to go and check some out and I'll be only too happy to join you and let you help me pick up my bike!!!!
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I always thought them both dodgy but now assume that the green or red dots (depending on scale?) are wot it says .. open to public access, and take the view (when I was motor riding) that if you get stopped, and swept up inside a police serious crime net :roll: , at least you have the real or dodgy map to plead innocence or ignorance …. the diamonds, I have come to see, are a deffo `no no`, as they are a long distance trail and for walkers and possibly horses …. not absolutely sure … but that is the point isnit .. to confuse and confound pleasure seekers on motorsss :?
Dansin

Post by Dansin »

Always ridden them unless they’re signed restricting them. Never had an issue.
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

I'd say it's worth looking at the county online definitive map. They always seem to include a statement that it may be incorrect but it's an extra layer of checking you've done. Also worth checking to see if they have a list of TROs and BOATs. Locally I find the Staffordshire and Derbyshire ones are pretty easy to check, Leicestershire less so. I ride quite a few "green dot" unsurfaced roads in the Peaks but I've checked them all. A few just go across a field and there's no clear"road". Others are clearly defined. All part of the fun.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Rights Of Way is a very complex subject but for a fairly simple guide may I suggest that you take a look at the guide on the GLASS website;

https://glass-uk.org/where-can-i-drive- ... icles.html

GLASS members have access to their excellent Trailwise2 mapping service where folks upload comments about various routes and their legality. As Paul has said you could check out the websites of the various Highway Authorities but they are not normally as up to date as quickly as the GLASS system.

Another option might be to contact the TRF Group for the area in which you are interested and ask them for local knowledge.

TTFN

Hugh.
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

My understanding was that the green dots ( not Diamonds) are UCR's or Unclassified County Roads. Also sometimes called ORPA's "Other Routes with Public Access". Certainly round where I live they seem to be what are or were public roads which have been allowed to ' go back to nature' basically either because they don't go anywhere, or were never properly surfaced and no one uses them, so an old route which has fallen into disrepair. Unless signposted otherwise they are legal to ride.

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”