OS Mapping question

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
SteveR

Re: OS Mapping question

Post by SteveR »

garyboy wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:09 am
SteveR wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:09 pm
Hugh wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:06 pm Greetings,

Recently received an email from Dash4it to let me know that their OS maps are 40% off.

https://dash4it.co.uk/ordnance-survey-m ... 5B_40offOS
I wonder how many users such as trail riders on bikes and MTB's are not now using OS paper maps, and rely on a GPS unit and mapping, on that alone?

Got to admit, I still like looking at a paper map and will study it for ages when route mapping ;)
hah .. my idea of an `upgrade` would be to buy a laminated map as opposed to a paper one :lol:

I really like the idea of a gps thingy, but they are so expensive and dont seem to last very well with time, and can be fragile in a tumble on the trails.

I went to the great expense of buying my daughter one but the battery will not now re-charge?
Personally, I do like a GPS and if you have a decent Garmin, they are pretty tough. I have also used a Tablet in a small tank bag as it's relatively cheap and the screen is better for old people!!
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Tablet .. good idea!! ..
with an app?
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

garyboy wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:51 pm Tablet .. good idea!! ..
with an app?
Yep, cheap android tablet and you are away. There are numerous Android apps about that will almost certainly do what you want. The best is still Viewranger in my opinion, but their maps are not cheap. I am less than keen on the later versions, with a "social media" slant, and I am still using a 2-3 year old version which suits me much better. I have no interest where other folks are or doing, and don't VR on a tablet with Data anyway! :roll:

Plenty of apps will use Open Street Maps or similiar Open source mapping. Someone will be along shortly with some recommendation I'm sure...
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Thanks for that , Steve ..
All I would want is the mapping, obviously,
and to plot a route on road and trail, to follow,
and to mark out any route I have just followed :)

And yes, I am a ver old person. and would appreciate a large screen. together with a magnifying glass and sound trumpet :) ;)
phil_h

Post by phil_h »

I use a free android app with some old bootleg unlocked os files from memory-map AND the full version of memory-map that was on offer a little while ago (with license for 5 devices !).
The free app (alpinequest) has much better software than memory-map, but that has 2018 os maps down to 1:25k.
The combo means I can track my route easily with alpinequest and export to gpx to see it on the pc, and export routes to the phone from the pc... plus see exactly where I am on hi-res maps on the memory-map app.
If someone volunteers to guide me around a few trails on my gs, I might be persuaded to set them up with os maps in alpinequest ;)
Phil
Builth Wells
2021 890 Adventure R
1982 R80 G/S with Siebenrock
2020 500 Excf Rally Bike
2020 500 Excf Trail Bike
1957 Velocette 500 Scrambler
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Thanks for that .. :)

I not got a trail bike atm .. :(
and I think my emtb may be too slow .. :lol:
but I got all the trails I know (not many) from OS maps of the area .. BOATS .. 8-)
and riding them on my own, [but not on a heavy GS] .. 8-)
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings Garyboy,

May I suggest joining GLASS so that you will have access to their superb mapping system - Trailwise2, which not only shows the routes but gives up to date information about their condition and any TROs, etc.

https://www.glass-uk.org

Paper maps and apps have their place in the scheme of things but keeping on the right side of the law is sa different ball game.

Safer to ride in twos or more if venturing onto the green roads.

TTFN

Hugh.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Hugh wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:49 am Greetings Garyboy,

May I suggest joining GLASS so that you will have access to their superb mapping system - Trailwise2, which not only shows the routes but gives up to date information about their condition and any TROs, etc.

https://www.glass-uk.org

Paper maps and apps have their place in the scheme of things but keeping on the right side of the law is sa different ball game.

Safer to ride in twos or more if venturing onto the green roads.

TTFN

Hugh.
Thank you Hugh .. not sure if Glass operate in south wales? .. I should check out the website, but I was not impressed with Trailwise 1, and I read on here somewhere that Trailwise 2 is not much better? … but the advice is appreciated :)

As far as riding alone.. if i didnt i would not ride at all .. tho that now applies to my ebike as i dont have a trailie atm 8-)
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

garyboy wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:49 pm
Thank you Hugh .. not sure if Glass operate in south wales? .. I should check out the website, but I was not impressed with Trailwise 1, and I read on here somewhere that Trailwise 2 is not much better? … but the advice is appreciated :)
Re TW2.
At first glance the TW2 map appears a bit sparse. However, the default display just shows BOATs. You need to select the option to display UCRs too. I've just had a peep at south Wales and the map seems pretty dense with UCRs. That said I know that many UCRs are not "green lanes". I live on one, it's just a narrow old dead end road which is surfaced. So you still need to do some investigating. That's where the comments associated with each lane can help.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

thanks for the info Paul :)

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”