BBC Countryfile Autumn Diaries - or just more inaccuracies.

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
Hugh

BBC Countryfile Autumn Diaries - or just more inaccuracies.

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I don't know if any of you watched the BBC Countryfile Autumn Diaries program yesterday morning, Friday 1st November 2019, but they presented an article about motorised use relevant to two green lanes lanes in the Lake District. Both routes have clear legal vehicular access Rights of Way.

The program was full of innuendos with emotive negative comments aimed solely against motorised users by the presenter and two of the persons being interviewed. The only person who gave any non biased factual content and overview was Mr Tatlock of the CCC. Notable by absence of invitation was anybody from GLASS or the TRF.

Please watch the program and if like me you are offended by the content :evil: then write to record a 'Complaint' by following the attached link;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/complaints

'If you tell a lie often enough then people will believe it' and that is what is happening on the BBC. You can make a difference and it is so easy to record your views.

TTFN

Hugh.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: BBC Countryfile Autumn Diaries - or just more inaccuracies.

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

They have cottoned on to the Guardian/Observer campaign on the same issue.

I've highlighted a couple of articles published in that rag here recently.

I presume that, having 'won' by closing most of the decent routes in the Peak District, they are now turning their attention to the Lakes.
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

Done.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Someone should put this on the TRF forum...oh, hang on...
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

didnt see the programme .. but just a general observation .. `you can do good 999 times, but you will be remembered for the 1 time you did bad` .. quote ME .. :?

we all know that some of us are `naughty` and ride `dodgy` trails … but this is better? than abiding by all the rules and dying with regret for places not visited.

.. and anyway .. the people that make the `rules` .. how perfect are they? the rich ruling elite?

we all make mistakes, and also `bend` some rules, but most of us are law-abiding decent folk that are considerate to others and respectful of their rights.

but I have seen gangs of enduro riders flouting the law openly, in regard to trails, and, (more in the past) seen adverts for illegal rides.
some may say the odd indiscretion can be overlooked .. but these indiscretions all add up and gather in the publics mind as irresponsible.

even worse is the gangs of young lads on mostly stolen mx bikes and quads that have a great time at our expense, and never seem to get caught? .. making our name schit !!!!!!!!!

but even worse than this is the government and counties and local councils for not providing enough alternatives and allowing enough legal trails. .. and sharing with the walkers of this world … tho the national cycle network is a great idea, and hopefully expanding.

.. just saying, innit.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Watch the video and listen to the negative emotive adjectives that are given air-time

Noisy - tearing around - unsupervised - monsters - diesel fumes - Big - ruining the peace and tranquility

A farmer apparently left the area because 30 vehicles per day were going past his gate ... It was like a motorway! ??

Well done to the Biased Broadcasting Corporation for another great bit of balanced reporting

I will look up the complaint link
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
No5

Post by No5 »

I am a farmer and live on a single lane road in the countryside that leads nowhere, but does join two busy main roads. In the last few years the amount of traffic we get has increased dramatically, travelling past our house upto and over the 60mph speed limit. Can I get my road TRO'd? Not likely because it is covered in tarmac and no one walks down here. When repairs were done recently they would not shut the road at rush hour because it is known as a rat run! Maybe I should leave my house and move elsewhere.
I watched this video and could not believe the moaning old gits complaining about slow moving 4x4s and trail bikes(upto 30 a day!, is that all!)going along a road (NOT a TRACK, as they kept calling it). There are many more footpaths and bridleways that they can walk along away from motor vehicles. The more byways that are shut concentrates the vehicles on the remaining byways. There is room out there for everyone.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

g00ner

Post by g00ner »

Complaint made
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

I received a reply from the BBC complaints department. Make of it what you will...

"Thank you for contacting us regarding the ‘Countryfile Autumn Diaries’ edition, broadcast on 1st November 2019, regarding the use of 4x4’s and trail bikes in the Lake District National Park.

This is clearly an issue that both residents and visitors to the area feel passionately about. Three hundred thousand of these people signed a petition to express their strong view that access to these lanes should be denied to 4x4’s and trail bikes. This gave us a clear editorial justification to cover the story.

We feel that we did reflect a balanced view. We featured a local climber who has lived in the area all his life, and a representative from the Friends of the Lake District charity. They both opposed the current levels of access granted to adventure tourists. To counterpoint their opinions, we spoke to a representative of the Lake District National Park Authority whose recent report recommended against starting the formal process which would restrict access for motorised recreational vehicles to routes at Tilberthwaite and High Oxen fell. Their stance is the opposite of the other two interviewees featured in the film.

The LDNPA representative also pointed out that access to these vehicles was in fact restricted to two specific areas within the park, and that those seeking less disturbance could access many other places instead. He further reinforced this view by pointing out that the Park is for all to use, but “ Everybody’s level for what is acceptable is different, that for some people, one four by four vehicle on here would be too many, other people have a greater tolerance”. The hierarchy of trail routes was also explained by our presenter, as was the fact that traffic is limited to four 4 x4’s and six trail bikes on a lane at any one time.

In response to whether or not the LDNPA should act to take steps to ban 4 x4 using a traffic regulation order to address the concerns of the three hundred thousand people who signed the petition, their representative states “that very strong view and very strong opinion of all three hundred thousand people is important and we have to listen to that, but just 'force of view' doesn’t necessarily mean that’s a reason for applying a traffic regulation order.”
Our presenter explains that these fell lanes are, legally speaking, roads. The LDPNA representative also emphasises that “ any move to exclude vehicles from this area has to go through a very strict process because we are taking people’s rights away from them if we do do that….we have to listen to everybody, we can’t just listen to one group of people, this is a national park for the nation it’s not just about the people who live here”.

The adventure tourists who use these lanes are made up of a wide range of people, including many private individuals along with professional companies who take groups through the park. We deliberately obscured the identity of all vehicles in the film so as not to unfairly highlight the activities of one specific company or individual. We fully and accurately represented their legal right to use these lanes as they currently do.

In an eight minute film it is not possible to canvas the opinion of every stakeholder or local charity, but we expressed the facts and the opposing views clearly, and as stated at the end of the film we are certain that this debate will continue for some time to come.

We hope this helps and we thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Kind regards,

BBC Complaints Team"
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Thanks Paul, I (plus no doubt everybody else who complained) have received the exact same standard reply too.

I have sent my written response to;

BBC Complaints,
PO Box 1922,
Darlington,
DL3 0UR.

Once I have a reply I will post up my letter and their answer.

TTFN

Hugh.

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”