Marvelous bit of unbiased reporting

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Marvelous bit of unbiased reporting

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I wasn't going to respond, because I try to to get involved nowadays, but I couldn't not write a letter to the editor

Madam,
I wonder where the evidence is that lanes in the Lake District are being ‘destroyed by off-road cars and motorbikes?’ as both the pictures you published showed stone roads in good repair.
I note that campaigner Richard Bowness is photographed in a 4x4 vehicle, which appears to be equipped with a very aggressive set of chevron-pattern tyres. So aggressive, indeed, that I wonder if they are actually legal for use on public roads.
You might be interested to know that it is vehicle users who are actually maintaining the most iconic routes in the area, even when their use is constrained by the National Park Authority https://www.trf.org.uk/lanes-just-repai ... dont-they/. It is a fact that in an area like the National Park, steep gradients and high levels of precipitation cause tracks to erode ‘all by themselves’, and it is 4x4 drivers and motorcyclists who are repairing them.
Five minutes with Google, and your reporters could have found that out for themselves.

Yours etc

Richard Simpson
Richard Simpson Mark II

tempesc wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:39 pm
PaulinBont wrote:Yep, the Ramblers want it reclassified as a public footpath ( no cyclists)
Hard to respect an organisation that used civil disobedience to establish rights of way for their own interests, and then campaign to have everyone else’s legitimate rights extinguished.

And even harder to stomach that their ex PR man chairs the committee in charge of closing all the trails in the Peak District. The same individual (in a private capacity) has written an article calling for tarmac lanes in the Peak District National Park to be closed to private motorists, too.

Some years ago, when the TRF was fighting the PDNPA, I was telling local papers in the area that this would happen. And it will.
Richard Simpson Mark II

If anyone else fancies a pop

[email protected]

Letters that start with the phrase "As a transgender man" probably stand a greater chance of publication.
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

“Hickson and Hobart, who are “incomers” originally from Surrey, made the permanent move into their holiday home in Little Langdale last year and have become enthusiastic members of the campaign group. One of the main driving tracks runs behind their home.”

So, bloke buys a house next to a road, then complains about traffic. Tosser. Hopefully the planners will throw it out.

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
Richard Simpson Mark II

they didn't publish my letter...can't say I'm surprised.

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”