ACU - consequence of illegal riding.

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Your patience please as I quote from this week's ACU News,

"Illegal Riding - Monday June 3, 2019 at 12:16pm

In recent weeks we have received the disappointing news that due to issues with illegal riding, the organisers of the Powys Enduro have been forced to cancel the event as a result of withdrawal of permission to use the Dyfi Forest. We are also aware that land used for the Scottish Six Days Trial is under threat due to the same problem, plus we have received reports from other parts of the country who have either lost land or are close to losing it.
The ACU would like to make it clear that the use of Natural Resources Wales (NRW) or Forestry Commission land is strictly controlled and their woods are not a playground for you, likewise permission is needed to ride on open hills etc ;the length and breadth of the country.
Unless the land you intend to ride on is a lawful right of ways or you have specific permission from the landowner you are not allowed to use these areas, your mate down the pub saying it’s OK isn’t considered permission!
The NRW and Forest Commission are taking steps to prevent illegal use and in conjunction with the Police will prosecute anyone caught, you have been warned.
The ACU have already taken action against any licence holders who are caught and will not hesitate to do so in the future.
There are plenty of events you can enter to use you bike legally including numerous practice tracks if you want something less organised. Please, if you are a licence holder, ride responsibly and discourage others if you know they are illegally riding, it’s your events which they are putting at risk!!
A wise man once said it’s not the environmentalists and authorities that will kill motorcycle sport, it will be the sport itself. They could be right - it’s in your hands!"

TTFN

Hugh.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

So true Hugh

We are suffering it in Yorkshire too

Still, a lot don't give a toss and just ride where they want

We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
DavidS

Re: ACU - consequence of illegal riding.

Post by DavidS »

Sad but, it seems, inevitable the decline in access is accelerating.
We have just asked the KTM forum mod to delete some posts from one moron, which he has done. He will be banned if he continues, as he has been from the old TRF forum and a few others.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I am wondering if the `owners` of the venues are using a blanket ban so that we goodies will put pressure on the baddies ??
We all know this will not work
and will eventually force the goodies to become the baddies too.??

its been allowed to get out of hand due to low resources.. then complaints.. then a nationwide crackdown to show `we doin stuff to stop it` .. then it will go lax again then another crackdown .. then more severe legislation and harsh penalties ?

A better approach, liaising with groups and police and legislators would provide a more sustainable solution .. but there has to be the will first?

and there is none
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

DavidS wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:17 pm Sad but, it seems, inevitable the decline in access is accelerating.
We have just asked the KTM forum mod to delete some posts from one moron, which he has done. He will be banned if he continues, as he has been from the old TRF forum and a few others.
Agreed that man is a massive tit he's just out for a reaction and he got 1 unfortunately it's people like him who ruin it for the masses of decent folk
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

🇩🇪 🇧🇪 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇮🇲 🇱🇺
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

I still trail ride a lot, but realise that the end is coming
Environmental pressure, the green lobby and veganism will lead to pressure to stop motorised unsurfaced access
Coupled with the decline of the internal combustion engine
I have swapped to more emtb on trails that were previously accessed on a trail bike
Similarly I ride more and more Trials as the craic is good and you get private access to ride in some awesome countryside
Plus I can access a private practice area of 200 acres for messing around on a Trials bike through the week or after work without being bothered by anyone who isn't into motorcycles
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

garyboy wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:39 pm I am wondering if the `owners` of the venues are using a blanket ban so that we goodies will put pressure on the baddies ??
We all know this will not work
and will eventually force the goodies to become the baddies too.??

its been allowed to get out of hand due to low resources.. then complaints.. then a nationwide crackdown to show `we doin stuff to stop it` .. then it will go lax again then another crackdown .. then more severe legislation and harsh penalties ?

A better approach, liaising with groups and police and legislators would provide a more sustainable solution .. but there has to be the will first?

and there is none
Spot on
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Disappointing news release, but as others have said, hardly a surprise. The illegal access by riders was a problem 25 years ago in Mid Wales and has continued and by all accounts, got worse... Long experience, is that it often locals riding, that are the major issue, both on FC land, and also MX bikes and the like on legal off road routes.

Shropshire lost a load of excellent legal green lanes owing to the Council being lobbied by local residents fed up of illegal usage on common land adjacent to the green lanes. The bummer was that the illegal use was local people riding dirt bikes and then back home to the villages nearby. Legal trail riders got tarred with the same brush and it took legal pressure to stop the victimisation!
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I see complaints about bikes `even going in groups, led by paid leaders!!!!!` .. as if that were a crime, on legal trails.
When I was on legal trails in mid wales last year, all I saw was decent trails runs by tidy riders on legal bikes, led by a professional !!…. they even stuck to the RUTS to keep it all cosher … closed gates, no litter, quiet engines etc etc etc…

I will be going up there tomorrow to report back 8-) 8-) 8-) :lol:
just to check, of course :D
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Attached is a copy of a recent release from the Derbyshire Police Rural Crime Team.
DP.jpg
DP.jpg (66.15 KiB) Viewed 7237 times
TTFN

Hugh.

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”