Request to identify two riders. Heild Lane, Cheshire.

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
Hugh

Request to identify two riders. Heild Lane, Cheshire.

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I have received a request from Cheshire Police for assistance to identify the two riders shown in the attached photos. It is alleged that they had been riding on the fields aside of Heild Lane and when challenged rode at the farmer.

If this is true then it is another piece of ammunition for those who wish to stop our riding on these lanes.

Perhaps the two might see themselves here and wish to discuss the claims, in which case they can contact PC Richard Walker 4522 by phoning 101 and asking to be put through to Macclesfield Police station.

Please, think on that we are approaching the lambing season and so extra care and reduced speed may be required. I am sure that nobody wants a repetition of previous events.

TTFN

Hugh.
R2.jpg
R2.jpg (207.78 KiB) Viewed 4660 times
R1.jpg
R1.jpg (202.79 KiB) Viewed 4660 times
catcitrus

Re: Request to identify two riders. Heild Lane, Cheshire.

Post by catcitrus »

with image enhancement are those number plates readable?
Cone

Post by Cone »

Oh dear, bad decision on their part eh.

It is difficult mind you sometimes, we were out on Saturday on a legal lane, saw a horse so stopped killed our engines and a lady came charging towards swearing we were illegally on a bridal way taking photos of us etc. We were polite and courteous at all times even in the face of bad public behaviour.

Sometimes it does appear to me that not stopping is not going to make the situation any worse than it is.

In future I will make an assessment on the person as riding up to them whether I will stop and be courteous or not. I always try my upmost to ride legally and politely for the safety of my self and others.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Cone wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:29 pm Oh dear, bad decision on their part eh.

It is difficult mind you sometimes, we were out on Saturday on a legal lane, saw a horse so stopped killed our engines and a lady came charging towards swearing we were illegally on a bridal way taking photos of us etc. We were polite and courteous at all times even in the face of bad public behaviour.

Sometimes it does appear to me that not stopping is not going to make the situation any worse than it is.

In future I will make an assessment on the person as riding up to them whether I will stop and be courteous or not. I always try my upmost to ride legally and politely for the safety of my self and others.
I wouldn't deviate from your polite and courteous approach.
I wouldn't preempt their reaction, if they see their arse and sound-off at you unreasonably when you're not doing anything dangerous or illegal, then make a choice to either ignore them, reason with them or tell them to fuck-off.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I've found the best approach is to sit there and say nothing...sooner or later they run out of steam.

At that point I'd produce the OS map and ask them to identify the location. Then, I'd get them to look at the symbols for the lane.

"Do you recognise this one?..It's a byway open to all traffic...I think you'll find the name's a bit of a clue."

You usually get a red-faced apology at that point.

The best one ever was on a windy day in Northamptonshire when a guy took me to task for riding a noisy motorcycle.

I pointed out that we were able to converse in ordinary tones, so the bike couldn't be THAT noisy.

"It is when it's running...all motorbikes are noisy"

"It is running."

"No it's not, I can't hear it."

"OK, why's the rev counter needle moving?"

Oh, I'm so sorry...what a remarkably quiet motorcycle."
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Agree with the image enhancement suggestion, at least to get enough info to narrow down the number of likely lads.

The second lane on my first ever ride (with a now TRF director) on the longest Byway in East Sussex I was verbally abused by two cyclists who took half a dozen photos. Doesn’t set you up for the future does it? At that point, the lane was about 30ft wide as it was right by the estate farm so hardly a tight squeeze. I was wondering what I had let myself in for.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I have it on good local authority that the two riders are welsh brexiteers .. Dai Duck and Dai Mouse .. at least that's what my grass track informant, Dai Snitch, has told me, despite me telling him "never say Dai".
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

SteveW wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:11 pm
Cone wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:29 pm Oh dear, bad decision on their part eh.

I wouldn't deviate from your polite and courteous approach.
I wouldn't preempt their reaction, if they see their arse and sound-off at you unreasonably when you're not doing anything dangerous or illegal, then make a choice to either ignore them, reason with them or tell them to fuck-off.
I agree, better to assume the best and behave accordingly. I did the same the other day, killed the engine and waited for a horse to pass. As she passed, she stopped and asked “Do you know where you are?” I thought oh dear, here we go and and braced myself for a tirade. I’d completely misread the situation. She just warned me to watch out for the mud further up ahead, and continued to suggest an alternative route. I pointed out that that the route she suggested was a bridle way but she said, “oh it’s fine, all the bikers round here use it. Ride careful, have fun” and rode off leaving me a bit baffled but gratified. A bit of mutual respect goes a long way.
Ps, I didn’t take her suggestion because a) the next person I met might not be so relaxed about bikes and b) It was getting late and I had a hot dinner waiting at home.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Hugh wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:11 am Greetings,

I have received a request from Cheshire Police for assistance to identify the two riders shown in the attached photos. It is alleged that they had been riding on the fields aside of Heild Lane and when challenged rode at the farmer.

If this is true then it is another piece of ammunition for those who wish to stop our riding on these lanes.

Perhaps the two might see themselves here and wish to discuss the claims, in which case they can contact PC Richard Walker 4522 by phoning 101 and asking to be put through to Macclesfield Police station.

Please, think on that we are approaching the lambing season and so extra care and reduced speed may be required. I am sure that nobody wants a repetition of previous events.

TTFN

Hugh.

R2.jpg

R1.jpg
When I first saw these pictures something just didn't seem right.
I live near Hield Lane it's a very short Tarmac country road. There is arable farm land boardering it on both sides, it's fairly flat but does have a few dips and rises.
The two chaps and their bikes seem well set up......hydration packs, good tidy bikes and they're wearing proper gear....they don't look like pikeys
There are no legal lanes anywhere near, so they couldn't be taking a sneaky short cut to link legal stuff together.
It's not isolated, there are farmhouses dotted about along the road.
Also I had a look along Hield Lane and I really couldn't see a gravel track leading quite steeply down to it, like the one the riders are going down in the photos....I don't think that's Hield Lane.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Breaking News:

A guy just picked his nose in Hull. No pictures at this stage, but surely it's got to be worth a witch-hunt.

The Sky News helicopter is on its way to the scene...

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”