TRF forum still offline

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
johnnyboxer

Re: TRF forum still offline

Post by johnnyboxer »

boboneleg wrote:
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:47 pm Not a member any more.
Blimey, that says it all :(
I thought that too
I am kinda going the same way - but not because of TRF at national level
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

I've left. However, if communication systems improve for those of us who struggle to attend group meetings I may well rejoin. Essentially we have no voice apart from at the AGM. "Discussion" ahead of this is, erm, problematic. Even worse now as members can't even post up a compliment.
Incidentally, I've not been approached for my reasons for leaving. Just "churn" I guess.
This is a pity but I don't see "there's no viable national alternative" as a reason for remaining a member. I will continue to contact the Highway departments when I find a lane is blocked etc. Just volunteering to guide new members is no longer possible.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

What if there was a vialble alternative with a very clear mission statement, full H&S provision for rideouts, appropriate courses at discounted prices like GPS use, offroad riding etc. Would that be of interest to people?
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

Mike54 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:42 pm What if there was a vialble alternative with a very clear mission statement, full H&S provision for rideouts, appropriate courses at discounted prices like GPS use, offroad riding etc. Would that be of interest to people?
If it was also actively protecting green lane access too, yes.
However, the reality is that the TRF should be able to achieve this and it clearly must be doing so for the majority of the members.
Last edited by Paul_C on Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

The problem is Paul that it isn't.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

As many of you know I had my membership of the TRF rescinded last year, the details are too complex for this medium. Despite that fact I still support the TRF as an organisation to fight against the injustices against what many Authorities term "recreational motorists". I applaud much of what they do but personally I must retain my personal voice to criticise some of their activities and particularly their methods.

In answer to the question about alternative groups, yes there are alternatives and here I give you just two points of view.

My first point might not be too popular amongst some here. As a motorcyclist I have for a number of years past and still do continue to work alongside GLASS Members and Representatives. I have been a Member of GLASS for the past year, (incidentally, so has at least one TRF Director!). Too many quotes have been produced by those who try to negate the efforts of GLASS by claiming that it only represents 4X4 users, this is totally untrue but if it is heard often enough then it forms part of the tapestry of lies about those who avail themselves of the countryside. I quote from the GLASS website, "Highlighting your Affiliation with us and following the Glass Code of Conduct adds credence, and shows that you are encouraging your members to be responsible and caring drivers in the countryside. Our objectives are; access for all, not just 4x4’s." Those final six words are the important part. https://www.glass-uk.org

In official meetings with various Authorities I have never heard nor read anything whereby GLASS has argued solely for 4X4 vehicles, it has taken an holistic approach and does recognise the physical differences between 4X4 and motorcycle practical use, whilst still arguing for the benefits of all. The main differences between the two clubs are historical based around how the two groups formed in the past but now for the future we need to work more closely together. Please, do not be fooled by the heinous unfounded claims that only 4X4 users damage the reputation of motorised use in the countryside.

My second point is that there are numerous alternative motorcycle Groups, ACU; AMC; BMF; MAG; etc; but one which is principally motorcycle only and primarily trail influenced, is called the Trail Riders Association; https://trailriders.org

The TRA is much smaller than all of the others but at its core and nationally it has many excellent officials and members, quite a number were also past TRF members and Directors. Perhaps this could be an alternative for those dissatisfied with the larger organisation and one that might flourish. I can see no reason why in the future the TRA could not realign with the TRF if things were to change in its methodology and practicality. Preferable to have one voice but that voice must follow democratic conventions of respect and inclusivity.

If folk wish to remain but are displeased with the TRF then they must follow the democratic route and get involved more closely with the operation, but, be careful as to challenge the status quo brings one into disrepute and you could follow me to the 'naughty step'. :lol:

TTFN

Hugh.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Hugh .. I hope you are thoroughly ashamed of yourself for being naughty 8-)
you should know you are not allowed to talk in class :lol:
(and expressing an opinion is now a criminal offence!)

I looked at the TRA site and it is still as vague as last year
.. it needs to upgrade its presentation and information
especially on group areas
and payments

Gary.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings Gary,

Fair comment, but I understand that the TRA is looking at an upgrade, however such takes resources of people power :idea:

They are currently concentrating on organising a new calendar of events so perhaps we might see some changes in the website format in the not too distant future.

I would love to help them but I am not very good with all this electrickery stuff :lol:

TTFN

Hugh.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Thanks for the reply. Hugh

Just a simple review of the written content could clarify and encourage potential joiners?
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Hugh, as someone who is very clearly passionate about green lanes, can you not elaborate as to the issues you faced? I am not currently a TRF member (was a member) and I just see self interest at director level and lack of focus.

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”