Cat S30 mobile phone and / or Xgrip mount

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
bumble beemer

Cat S30 mobile phone and / or Xgrip mount

Post by bumble beemer »

Contemplating using a smartphone for navigating . The Cat s30 looks suitable as its waterproof , rugged and appears to be glove friendly for zooming in and out (although I do not have first hand experience of this).

Only problem is I can’t find a suitable dedicated holder for it to fit , ideally , my ram mount .

Anyone used an X grip universal holder for their phone whilst green laning ? Is the grip strong enough to hold the phone over bumpy conditions ?

Any views or shared experiences would be appreciated.
ImageImage
richeyroo

Re: Cat S30 mobile phone and / or Xgrip mount

Post by richeyroo »

Yes i use one on my XR650L, and have done plenty of the TET and green laning with a phone and Xmount. Absolutely no issues at all - it stays rock solidly in place. I used sticky backed velco, one piece on the back of the phone, the other on the mount for extra security and it never moves.
Phones are much better than traditional GPS units in my opinon. Larger screens and so many different apps to choose from with stacks of free offline mapping available.
I use a Samsung Xcover 4 without a SIM card in it as my GPS and have all the same information/ Apps on my Samsung S8 in my pocket just in case.
The only nagging doubt is power supply through the micro USB port. Its not ideal, perhaps there is a better option but i havent been sufficiently troubled by it to look for a solution
chrisjk

Post by chrisjk »

Rather than the RAM X-grip, I recommend these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MOTOPOWER-MP06 ... unt+Holder

They have an extra set of rubber covered supports below the phone which improves security. The fittings are fine, although I used my existing RAM fittings (the ball is the same size as the standard RAM ball).

When I bought my first of these, the price was about £14.35 so a heck of a lot less than the RAM parts but the price has since risen although still a lot cheaper than RAM prices.

Quality is very good and I have used the things for a few thousand miles and on some rough roads, without any problems at all.
NoahLiam

Post by NoahLiam »

I am using Caterpillar Cat S30. you can use this.
https://productz.com/en/caterpillar-cat-s30
Operating System Android 5.1, Cpu Speed 1.1 GHz
CPU Cores Quad Core
CPU Model Qualcomm Snapdragon 210 MSM8909
GPU GPU Model
Qualcomm Adreno 304 GPU
Ram memory 1GB

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”