Peak District National Park Authority - refuse a run to support Yorkshire Air Ambulance!

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
DavidS

Re: Peak District National Park Authority - refuse a run to support Yorkshire Air Ambulance!

Post by DavidS »

Much as I have huge respect for Hugh, I am afraid I have to agree with Johnnyboxer on this one.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Paul_C

Re: Peak District National Park Authority - refuse a run to support Yorkshire Air Ambulance!

Post by Paul_C »

I imagine it has a lot to do with how it's organised. I know riders have a right to be there but any event using public access areas needs to be considerate of others. Additionally the other users are potential donators to the charity.
Well marshalled groups to keep a check on pace and critical junctions.
A clear and enforced riding code.
Careful selection of non sensitive lanes.
Clearly identified as a charity ride by onlookers.
Effective collection system for impromptu collections along the route.
Lanes regularly used by others to have temporary notices warning users of the event and promoting the charity.
It's not difficult but for it to be positive, and to raise more money, it needs to be done carefully and with respect. Even if PDNPA want to make it a them and us situation we need to be better than that.
In my experience the huge majority of walkers, cyclists and horse riders are ok with us being there. No need to make enemies, use the event to create a positive impression.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Paul_C wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:20 pm I imagine it has a lot to do with how it's organised. I know riders have a right to be there but any event using public access areas needs to be considerate of others. Additionally the other users are potential donators to the charity.
Well marshalled groups to keep a check on pace and critical junctions.
A clear and enforced riding code.
Careful selection of non sensitive lanes.
Clearly identified as a charity ride by onlookers.
Effective collection system for impromptu collections along the route.
Lanes regularly used by others to have temporary notices warning users of the event and promoting the charity.
It's not difficult but for it to be positive, and to raise more money, it needs to be done carefully and with respect. Even if PDNPA want to make it a them and us situation we need to be better than that.
In my experience the huge majority of walkers, cyclists and horse riders are ok with us being there. No need to make enemies, use the event to create a positive impression.
Well said, marshal it well and put up signs etc and you're halfway there - I doubt WYLR will do that
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

DavidS wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:58 am Much as I have huge respect for Hugh, I am afraid I have to agree with Johnnyboxer on this one.
Thanks and I have huge respects for Hugh.................

With money we don't have

Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

The bottom line is it's for a good cause. If it's a success at supporting the Air Ambulance that's the main concern. It would be great if it could also manage to present a good image for green lane riders too. I'm sure the organisers have this in mind.
Hugh (the good guy) was just passing on the message.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Whilst i am not in the least bit surprised by the PDNPAs stance, it should be noted that they have shown consideration to motorcycle events in the past,

For instance the TRO on Washgate does allow its use by motorbikes twice a year for the Bemrose Trial and the Reliance Cup Trial... such generous folks eh!
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Mad Cow wrote:Whilst i am not in the least bit surprised by the PDNPAs stance

For instance the TRO on Washgate does allow its use by motorbikes twice a year for the Bemrose Trial and the Reliance Cup Trial... such generous folks eh!
Two properly insured and sanctioned events, run under ACU rules and with due regard to a Risk Assessment

With money we don't have

Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings folks,

Thank you so much for your kind regards, I hope not to let you down. I am not one of the organisers of this event, I am merely a messenger, but I have offered them my support and local knowledge.

I am representing my personal views here. Whilst I can see both sides of the debate I do find the attitude of the PDNPA to not offer some form of concession is to be showing a meanness of spirit, a lack of trust and more importantly an equality of opportunity. Their intransigence simply inflames the mistrust that many motorists hold towards this Authority.

I am assured that the Organisers of this charity event are taking their responsibilities very seriously too, after all if this should be a success nobody will remember but if it has the slightest controversy then it will be thrown in our faces for years to come. No doubt the anti motorist groups will be out on the day looking to record the slightest thing to complain about.

Bear in mind too that folks will only be riding where vehicles have legal access, the route has been kept away from residential, popular rambling and equestrian routes as much as possible. We of course are pleased to share the countryside with others but I fail to see that we should be beholden or apologise to exercise our Rights to a social activity. Whilst the number in any group will need to be larger than our voluntary normal all other courtesies will be upheld. Similarly, the WYLR would rightly have given full credit to any concession, not matter how small.

Please, let’s support the event, by donation and or by riding, and give it a chance to show trail riding in the light of motorcycling's generous spirit of sharing without discrimination.

TTFN

Hugh.

Ps; as an aside, the two previously mentioned trials events are at the discretion of the PDNPA. The organisers of both events are very conscious of their responsibilities and that they have to apply for permission each year, so it is not a given Right and could be withheld.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

My concern was in asking PDNPA to open currently closed lanes. My gut feeling would have been to not bother as, even from way down south here, past experience/knowledge would have said it was flogging a dead horse.

However, It would certainly be reasonable to advise them of increased use of three current lanes ( if there are 3 left :( ) as presumably they couldn’t ‘refuse’.

I sincerely hope something can be sorted out but I wouldn’t trust PDNPA or the local anti brigade as far as I could throw them.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

I can't support the notion to request that closed lanes are opened just because it's for a charitable cause. Sorry but so what? Use lanes which are open, job done. This is a non-debate.

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”