Stonehenge Lanes , closed ?

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
DavidS

Re: Stonehenge Lanes , closed ?

Post by DavidS »

Really plausible :roll:
They are just control freaks.
If you can, find the Chief Druid’s (or somesuch) submission to the original public enquiry where it was kept open. A brilliant piece of evidence and passion.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Oh yes!
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

-dig in and complain--at least they are logging stuff and replying.
this is what I sent--probably not strictly correct but worth stirring the pot I think
"I see that you plan to close them for 18 months--as an experiment--and apparently to allow the area to breathe? Please be honest--the area is already inundated with visitors and footfall. I am a trail rider and regularly pass by Stonehenge on the byways, as do many other others--we come, and then are gone, but invariably suffer abuse from all the "travellers" parked along the area who seem to live there for weeks with consequent rubbish and sanitation issues. I can understand you trying to put them off--and hence the 18 month ban/gated closures, but to prevent us responsible trail riders from using these old byways is surely not necessary---if you are going to allow horses to use them then we can use the same narrower access--and this is already successfully used in Northamptonshire and Cambridgeshire . We do far less "damage" than any horse or 4wd and I would like you to provide access to the minutes of the meeting where this was discussed, and also to see your authority for such action. Normally a TRO can only be invoked where vehicular traffic is PROVEN to be causing excessive surface damage--and we all know that this is simply NOT the case around the Henge. I'm sure also that the TRF will have something to say in court when they challenge your action."

This is the reply I got:
"Dear Mr/Ms Barnes

THE COUNTY OF WILTSHIRE (VARIOUS BYWAYS AND FOOTPATH, AMESBURY, BERWICK ST JAMES, DURRINGTON, WILSFORD CUM LAKE AND WOODFORD) (PROHIBITION OF DRIVING) EXPERIMENTAL ORDER 2018

Thank you for your email dated 9th August 2018 regarding the above proposals which I will pass to the engineer in charge of the scheme.

All letters of objection or support for the proposals will be considered in a future report. Please note that unless you specifically state that you do not wish your name and address relating to your representations (a) being made available for public inspection or (b) being published on the Wiltshire Council Website, they may be made so available or will be included. If you do not wish your name to be included in the report please confirm to me by return.

I will write to you again when I have more information regarding the proposals.

Kind regards,

Lianne Bartle
Senior Traffic Order Technician | Traffic Order Team | Highways & Transport
Wiltshire Council | County Hall, Bythesea Road, Trowbridge BA14 8JN

Tel: 01225 713737 | Fax: 01225 713207 | Email: [email protected]
Follow Wiltshire Council www.wiltshire.gov.uk"
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Thanks for the link i will be voicing my views... The ancient byeway from druids corner across the a303 is rarely used except by the local pig farmer..

The byeway that ran from the old now removed nt carpark was regraded years ago and has suffered little errosion from vehicle... The reason for the contsant traffic now is the councils short sightedness that when thw tarmac raod was removed past the stones folks just used the dangerous entrance off the A303, a vehicle prohibition should then have been used and concrete bollards added so just horses, cycles and walkers and other 2 wheel vehicles could pass...

This byeway is a link from the northern plain section across to shafetesbury some only pedestrian access....

Stand and make a point or it will be lost for ever, other byeways namely the wilts fosseway have bollards to prevent 4 wheel vehicles accessing, a presidence was set then in the wilts county...
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”