Stonehenge Lanes , closed ?

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
boboneleg

Stonehenge Lanes , closed ?

Post by boboneleg »

I went by Stonehenge yesterday on the A303 (in the van) and noticed that the byways off that road are closed off by barriers.

I then found this on the Wiltshire CC website, so what is an 'experimental byway closure' . If I were a cynical person I'd imagine that they're closed permanently :roll:

At least I won't get a pitchfork thrown at me anymore by the mad woman at Springbottom Farm :shock:

http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/news/articl ... itage-site
one-legged adventurer
Stewie

Re: Stonehenge Lanes , closed ?

Post by Stewie »

The lane to the south has had a 'voluntary' closure for years...😂
TRO by another name...
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Something needs doing to prevent cars and campers turning off and onto the a303 as its dangerous... Maybe a cycle and motorcycle use only like some lanes near Alton... But then again then whole section of a303 is going underground whenever they decide on start date...

The gates where locked at summer a few years ago, then opened again in autumn...
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Prevent the hippies from shittin in the field. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Does make it a little awkward for some of our ride outs as we often go through there :?
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Does that include the long one by the pig farm, or just the short one where all the VW campers park?
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

they say closed for 18 months--but still open to walkers, horses etc--i.e. a "bridleway"--its classed as an experiment!--obviously they intend it to be permanent--and there appears to be a mechanism for any objection [email protected]. I guess its to stop all the camper vans etc, but they could also allow motorcycles to use it just as they do with other lanes in Northamptonshire, Cambridgeshire etc
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Allegedly the TRF hierarchy are dealing with it but we poor foot soldiers and financiers aren’t allowed to know what goes on with these things.
That route only leads to misinformation and incorrect speculation.

I heard it is always gets closed for the solstice but conveniently didn’t get reopened this year. :evil:
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

catcitrus wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:12 pm they say closed for 18 months--but still open to walkers, horses etc--i.e. a "bridleway"--its classed as an experiment!--obviously they intend it to be permanent--and there appears to be a mechanism for any objection [email protected]. I guess its to stop all the camper vans etc, but they could also allow motorcycles to use it just as they do with other lanes in Northamptonshire, Cambridgeshire etc
My thoughts exactly Chris, they're trying to close it by stealth. I wonder how an 'experimental byway closure' stands in law ?
one-legged adventurer
Pint Master

Post by Pint Master »

English Heritage have been trying to close the lanes near Stonehenge for some years.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

DavidS wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:29 pm I heard it is always gets closed for the solstice but conveniently didn’t get reopened this year. :evil:
me and Cliff couldn't find a way through .. an ex-biker of trails, stopped his van where we were stopped, by a new metal gate and new `no entry` sign .. and said the same thing .. that hippies leaving the solstice thing played mayhem and this was the result

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”