Bother?

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
HedgeHopper

Bother?

Post by HedgeHopper »

I'm beginning to think having a trail bike in the UK is pointless.
There are no motorcycle trails in the uk...None, there have not been any in my lifetime.
We have a few Byeways, but they are at best a couple of miles of old roman road or more likely a few hundred yards of technical lane that in the summer is probably overgrown and a battle to ride through and we have to protest to even have these available, the attitude towards recreational land use in this country stinks, always has.

I look at the pictures people put up from around the world and sigh, remembering my times in california on an old XR350

I think I'll take a trip to the northern spain this year, but increasingly pissed off that we have to leave our own country to find freedom and acceptance, perhaps it's an age thing
Tonibe63

Re: Bother?

Post by Tonibe63 »

Atleast 12 years too late for the good long routes in the UK.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

That's sad. Is it really that bad over there now?

As you say Hedge, if you want long, interesting empty trails come here to France (or Spain, or....).
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

Yes Dave it is, a couple of years ago I even had a threatning letter from a multi-agency gang of thugs lead by the Brecon Beacons National Park Rangers trying to intimidate me into no longer riding somewhere that was actually legal.

Yes, leaving the country is the way ahead I fear
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

There are no more long trails but still plenty to ride. As for the gestapo, just get out early in the summer when they're not around ;)
one-legged adventurer
scoobydidler

Post by scoobydidler »

Still a few to be found Bob but you have to ride to the arse of the country to find them as we do!
It's a shit situation but we make the best of it.
Salter fell
Rudland Rigg
The one over to dead mans hill, Middlesmoor lane is it?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

It's only just over 10 years ago that Redbikejohn and me use to get on the Ridgeway just outside of High Wycombe, Bucks, and ride all the way down to the outskirts of Salisbury, Wiltshire, on the byways...and back again...all off road...65 miles each way...happy days :D ....sadly now not possible :( .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

i have a more positive attitude ..

yes of course you have to link trails ....but thats the reason i dont use a enduro bike ..some of the little roads i use are to me a real joy to ride offering fantastick views and vistas in between track and trails ...id think it would be rare for me to go more than 15/20 mins max before popping off road again in some of the most beutiful parts of the country it aint all bad far from it imho

from the badlands of lancashire where i live ... to the bowland forrest is around 45 mins ..from there with no fibs told i can make a weeks loop through yorkshire north yorkshire northumberland and the lakes ..there really are some quility trails left and the countryside on offer in between is some of the best in europe ..yes i know defra fucked up alot of the linking trails ..but with a bit of reworking there are still some amazing loops to be had
i could get to aliston in 2.5 hours on the road ...it took me and dave three days last run we did un the uk ...so from my perspective its not all bad ..north wales alone has enough to keep you busy for four days ....there is still some quiality riding to be had i think

keep well
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

It's all relative innit
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

I have to disagree with the original post. Theres still plenty of legal stuff in the UK.....you just need to find it, which TBH isn't that hard. You just have to put a little effort in.

It may not be as good as it once was in the past but I don't think its a reason not to bother. Unless of course you just cant be arsed. Theres plenty of good stuff to go at. You just need to go further afield but this isn't bad.

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”