TET Salisbury area

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
HedgeHopper

TET Salisbury area

Post by HedgeHopper »

Going to have a day out on the plain wednesday, never been there before and to make things easy thought I'd just do the Salisbury section of the TET, but the more I look at it the more it seems to miss out lots of good stuff (I know from experience that the South Wales part of TET misses loads of trails)

Just wondering if anyone with local knowledge can confirm whether or not following the TET route would be a bit of a wasted opportunity
(I'll be on a KTM 690)

Ta
Tramp

Re: TET Salisbury area

Post by Tramp »

Check the army arent playing as normally its weekends that no red flags are up...its like a arid hard dust bowl at moment 30c too.... :o ....best time is soring and autumn after lots of rain...most of the local trails are very over grown and the rutts are hidden....

Mind you wales aing no better...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... newsletter
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

Ta for the link, I'll watch out for red flags and stuff, know what you mean about the lack of mud, found one solitary tiny puddle on the roman road by llandovery yesterday and I think the little splash it made was it's last

Hopefully the heat will put off the hooligans from spending too much time farting about in their tanks (or do they have aircon these days?) :lol:

editedd: speeeelinz
herman

Post by herman »

We were up there last Weds and the only things open were the major tracks as they are coming to the end of a major exercise which is ending towards the end of July. If you are happy with the perimeter track and the old Marlborough road then all is good. The extreme bit of nine mile river is always open. The henge byway is shut too probably to sweep up Druid droppings. The smoke centre of my pic is due to shelling. ImageDSC01425 by herman munster, on Flickr edit some of the more northern end is not being used for example the Figheldean byeways and I think the TET uses the north end a fair bit making its way over to Basingstoke via the Harrow way which will be open and very easy.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

Many thanks for the info, on balance after reading up on the schedule for the excercises I have decided to postpone the trip, which probably means when I do next find time to go it will be wet :D
Thanks both
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

This was Salisbury on Saturday. It looks like a bush fire.
IMG_20180707_133106.jpg
IMG_20180707_133106.jpg (58.63 KiB) Viewed 3682 times
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

HedgeHopper wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:11 am Many thanks for the info, on balance after reading up on the schedule for the excercises I have decided to postpone the trip, which probably means when I do next find time to go it will be wet :D
Thanks both
Loads of lovely trails in and around Wiltshire that don't involve MoD land.

Shaftesbury Drove and Ox Drove (both to the south of Salisbury) for starters.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Part of the Oxdrove last year, it got a lot worse than that very deep ruts and immensely overgrown, not one for the faint hearted or on your own.
ImageWP_20170614_006 by Tim Bartels, on Flickr
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

The last time I rode the Shaftesbury Drove, I had three cattle burst out of the hedge beside me...the horns of one of them just brushed me as she passed.

Great routes both...but take it steady if you are on your own.

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”