Peak District Green lanes suitable for loaded 650

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
BobH

Peak District Green lanes suitable for loaded 650

Post by BobH »

Hi all,

If you could help it would be appreciated, am looking to spend a couple of days testing the new DR suspension setup and luggage for a trip in Oct. As the Peak District is only an hour away I wondered if there are any good routes or lanes suitable for a larger bike with luggage. Not looking to test it to the max but would be good to have some fairly fast gravel type trails as well as some slightly rougher terrain. I am a TRF Lincoln member and will contact the local group if nothing suggested. Also looking for a camp site for a night, fairly central.

Many thanks in advance

Bob
Mickdb1

Re: Peak District Green lanes suitable for loaded 650

Post by Mickdb1 »

Hey up Bob.
I am back on the bike and could do with a bit of a run around.
If yer fancy mid week I will show you around some of the lighter trails that are still open- Or I could send you some info (gpx waypoints) as to the start and finish of some. I think yer better "having a look about with a guide" as its safer and sensible
email me on mickdb1@gmail for my telephone number. I am sure Paul Vernon will vouch for my knowledge :mrgreen:
You dont pack up biking when you grow old

You grow old when you pack up biking
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings Bob,

The Peak District has numerous camping facilities but none of which have I used, however the following might give you an idea; the first was used by a TRF group I led a couple of years ago;

http://www.edentreecaravans.co.uk/bookings-tariffs/

Rowter farm is close to Castleton and next to one of our popular lanes;
https://www.bing.com/search?q=campsite+ ... S1&PC=APMC

PDVUG meets at the Duke Of York pub at Pomeroy and the folks have upgraded their camping site;https://www.thedukeofyorkpomeroy.co.uk/ ... -caravans/

As to routes, take a look on ViewRanger where I have posted a number of routes, two of which centre on Castleton. If you would like I might be able to guide you around a number of the lanes. We locals adhere to the TRF / GLASS / LARA guidelines so no "fairly fast gravel type trails". A great variety of lanes of varying difficulty await your visit, but you might not want to try going up Pindale as it is very much scattered with loose rocks, depends upon what you are looking for as a test route.

Hope this helps.

TTFN

Hugh.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

There is still a reasonable number of lanes in the White Peak (the Southern part of the Peak District). They vary between really easy, like you could ride a large road bike down with no issues to quite challenging (you would be better on a dedicated off road 250) and lots in between. Obviously the rain makes everything more interesting but everything is really dry at the moment. I think Hugh and others on here have a far greater knowledge of the Dark Peak but if they are not available and you want an easy trip in the Southern part give me a shout.
For campsites I would recommend Monyash, which is almost a French style site with a lot of hedges. Basic but clean toilets and showers. The cafe in the village is fantastic and the pub is good. Monsalhead is another great site, but phone first as they sometimes say they do not allow bikes although I have been going there for about fifteen years with no issues. If I remember rightly you have to pay for the shower. The pub at the side of Monsalhead hotel is great as in the Packhorse in Little Longstone.
If it is before your trip then Bond's charity event at the end of September looks like a good call.
Cheers Jak

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”