Save The Old Coach Road in the Lake District.

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
Hugh

Save The Old Coach Road in the Lake District.

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

On a more positive note than of late perhaps colleagues might consider supporting Steve Stout of the Cumbria TRF's "Save The Old Coach Road" by making a nominal donation to the restoration fund;

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/ctfr

For those who might not know the ‘Old Coach Road’ is approximately 8 km of unsealed county road. It crosses the boundary of Allerdale (U2236) and Eden (U3132) Districts of Cumbria County. It effectively runs parallel to the main A66 Penrith to Keswick tarmac road and offers great views of Blencthra. Prior to the recent damage caused by storm Desmond this great route was suitable for adventure and trail bikes.

It has been used for moving stock, mining materials and people for hundreds of years. As a green road it forms part of a loop of Lakeland roads which riders and 4X4 drivers from all over the country use. It's long been known as a classic route through the Lakes and it is one of my favourites.

I posted a route entitled "Keswick and Dockray Circular" on ViewRanger, look for the Muffin the Mule avatar, why not use it as a guide for a day out and then make a donation to the cause; :idea:

TTFN

Hugh.
minkyhead

Re: Save The Old Coach Road in the Lake District.

Post by minkyhead »

i dunno from a different perspective .it makes for a good trail the way it is hugh ...not sure why a trail rider would want it surfaced like the yellow brick road ...storm desmond made a interesting track imho..i guess in this day of health and safty .disabled access ect everything needs to be sanitised :?:

. its what nature ahs done to it and isnt that the best way for it to be left ? 8-)

walkers have no issues getting by trail bikers and mountain bikers will love it

marsett in yorks was damaged too ..or in my view it wasnt damaged it was just changed by a natural process ..the resulting repairs made for a nice knarly trail to be turned into a cake walk and from a trail rider perspective ruined imho ..now it seems to me with its wooded steps and gravel ....the next cry will be no motorvehicles as they will damage the flimsy repairs covering a bed of rock that had been there for time imamorial

ditto that stalling busk a few years before where some bright spark decided the rock steps that had been there for centuries needed the attention of a bulldozer in the name of improvment ? or is it autherised vandalism of a anciant track

justa different take theres nowt wrong with it imho ..i wish somtimes we wernt so sensitive ..there will be another rainsorm and the repairs will be damaged and then they will declare it to expensive to keep open ...
im unsure why as soon as nature decides to do somthing it has to be corrected ..it seems its made its own natural sluice and that could protect the remaining parts of the track

coach road is between 3.28 and 7.30 its just a few hundred meters of rainwater trenches ...the rest of it is as was ..i guess im missing somthing but its not that bad at all
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Good morning you little Minky,

I don't necessarily disagree with much that you have said and in a perfect world I would like the washed out section to remain as imho it adds to the character of the route. We could debate the item for ever, probably getting close to a single answer that we both might accept but those outside of our influence would simply turn it against us anyway.

Unfortunately it is not a perfect world and there are more than enough unwarranted pressures placed upon our hobbies. The Cumbria TRF, through Steve Stout, works very closely with the Cumbria County Council and if he and his team think that there is a need for our assisting to repair the route then quite simply that is enough for me. It is only one relatively short section and I could put up with that even if it got tarmac put down :shock:

On a similar theme Hurstclough Lane, near Bamford, is likely to be repaired this year (which hopefully means Bamford Clough too) but I expect it to be covered in the black stuff :roll: However, I would rather have that and be able to continue to ride the route than loose it because of the opposition slapping yet another of their unjustified TROs on to it. It is after all a highway and not a trials event, though I am happy to ride it under either conditions, I just want to ride it. There are too many routes in Derbyshire that I used to ride and have lost, many of those are now overgrown through lack of use by anybody.

Monies could be thrown at arguing, fighting court cases, etc, but that seems like a waste of time, effort and monies all of which could be better applied to improving the lanes for the benefit of shared use for all users in most instances.

I enjoyed your video and I respect your views so I leave it to others to decide if they wish to donate or not.

TTFN

Hugh.
SHarper

Post by SHarper »

Hugh wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:37 am Unfortunately it is not a perfect world and there are more than enough unwarranted pressures placed upon our hobbies.

On a similar theme Hurstclough Lane, near Bamford, is likely to be repaired this year (which hopefully means Bamford Clough too) but I expect it to be covered in the black stuff :roll: However, I would rather have that and be able to continue to ride the route than loose it because of the opposition slapping yet another of their unjustified TROs on to it. It is after all a highway and not a trials event, though I am happy to ride it under either conditions, I just want to ride it. There are too many routes in Derbyshire that I used to ride and have lost, many of those are now overgrown through lack of use by anybody..

Eyup Hugh, do you still have your superhero outfit? (You were wearing one the last time we met)
I think your imperishable dedication to the riding of off-road motorcycles, particularly in the peaks, is estimable to say the least. I was out round Bamford yesterday, but I’ve switched to one of these:-

The attachment 9A5FDDCD-7ECB-411A-8139-495B2928674B.jpeg is no longer available
...and I’ve started rediscovering some of the trails that were taken from us AND some new ones...
The attachment 9A5FDDCD-7ECB-411A-8139-495B2928674B.jpeg is no longer available
This was on the Thornhill Trail, it goes to Bamford from the other side of Ladybower dam wall, it was idyllic and totally deserted and came out on Water Lane, another road I was unfamiliar with.
I realise once they’ve banned the motor driven vehicles from the national parks, cycling will be next but by that time I’ll probably have been scattered somewhere near Stanage Edge.

Back on subject, the Old Coach Road looks a hoot and well worth saving, is it cycleable and does anyone want to buy my much underused Beta Alp 4.0?
Attachments
9A5FDDCD-7ECB-411A-8139-495B2928674B.jpeg
9A5FDDCD-7ECB-411A-8139-495B2928674B.jpeg (255.71 KiB) Viewed 5428 times
SHarper

Post by SHarper »

E38C30C6-F884-41AF-8FF0-71D47EB4395E.jpeg
E38C30C6-F884-41AF-8FF0-71D47EB4395E.jpeg (293.02 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
D6041018-245A-4DE2-9322-5039900AF882.jpeg
D6041018-245A-4DE2-9322-5039900AF882.jpeg (216.26 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
These are the photos that should be in the above post but somehow got fooked up betwixt preview and submit
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

i get it hugh ..its maby the fault of the times we live in ... i cant see why they dont just let the natural track develop where folks walk alongside it ..... and leave the sluice for future rainfall ....it seems like nature says this is where i will go ..and us saying no you wont ...there eventually will be only one winner i think

keep well
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Hello again fellow protestor,

The've stopped me wearing my Castleton Teenage Mutant Turtle outfit as it doesn't fit in with the rumours of vicious viking type warriors roaming the Peaks on motorcycles :lol: As somebody else said "I love children, but could n't eat a whole one" :lol: :roll: :lol:

The 'Old Road' is certainly one for mountain bikes as the climbs are steady and the views great, not to mention 99.9% of the folks you meet. I am just not fit enough for dispensing with engines yet although I do try to mountain bike (mostly along the canal) simply to improve the strength for my knackered knees. I have walked the Old Road and then got the bus back to Penrith.

There are some car parking facilities at Dockray. Here is a link to one of the route that I use,

;http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/ ... dom%20(UK)

We must meet up again, a brace of Alps would make a good photo.

TTFN

Hugh.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings folks,

Just a quick update to let you know that the appeal had a great positive result and the requested amount has not only been achieved but exceeded.

Big thanks to all who supported the idea, especially to those who thought it up, pursued the necessary permissions etc, and will continue to do the hard work. Link to the page is;

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/ctfr

TTFN

Hugh.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Well done to everyone.
Glad my 10p was of help. 😀💷
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”