Taffy Dakar 2018

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
Fried Egg Sandwich

Re: Taffy Dakar 2018

Post by Fried Egg Sandwich »

Cripes Jak* that a lot to deal with.
Best wishes to you and your son.
Suzuki DRZ400S
BMW R1150GS
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)
aliwakeskate

Post by aliwakeskate »

Bloody hell Jak! Best wishes to you son.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Yes Jak hope your boy heals fast and is back on a bike soon. Regarding the 701 boys are you riding to the event? where from? I'm not doing it but just wondered what the bikes are like for road work and motorways, as I quite fancy one myself in time! :)
Cone

Post by Cone »

dibbs wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:20 am Yes Jak hope your boy heals fast and is back on a bike soon. Regarding the 701 boys are you riding to the event? where from? I'm not doing it but just wondered what the bikes are like for road work and motorways, as I quite fancy one myself in time! :)

I’m not riding far, from Raglan but meeting Daryl on his 690.

Really impressed with it on the road, what a hoot fun fun fun.

I would say it lacks a rev counter, especially as I’m running it in, ive gone back and forth to Bristol a few times and it’s wind protection is not far off my bmw. Fuel consumption seems similar also but haven’t really given it any beans yet - it may pop me off the back when I do :D

All the best in the speedy recovery Jak.
Griff097

Post by Griff097 »

Jak* wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:47 pm Hi if anyone wants a ticket I have two going spare. A reasonable contribution to whatever charity the Taffy are donating to will be fine. My CCM is still in the bloody factory and more importantly my son, best friend and prime member of our pub quiz team is, after an altercation with a Transit, having a substantial portion of his leg amputated tomorrow. Piss poor excuses but we won't be there this year.
Our good wishes to all who are organising or taking part, it has been one of the highlights of our year for the last three years and we will be back. If you haven't been take up this offer and go. It is great, the people who organise it are brilliant, I wish we could be there. Cheers Jak
Pm me about the tickets if you are interested.
Ps Lisa send us a copy of the quiz and a cake.
Best wishes to your family Jak, especially your son, hope everything goes as well as possible that sounds like a nightmare for everyone.

Someone was asking about a ticket on a trail riding forum I will mention it to them, best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Yoyo

Post by Yoyo »

Jak she will be gutted you both won't be there, you two were the props that held the bar up! Give him our best, thinking of you both mate.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

Joolz77 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:23 pm I shall be there falling off my CRF250L again. Did it last year and just turned up and found a team to join. Not sure if I have a team sorted yet, but everyone’s really friendly so should be ok!!! Looking forward to it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jules, By now you will have learnt that everyone falls off, not just noobies. You are more than welcome to join the Penfro ditch divers again..... if you can put up with a Manc and an effin Scouser arguing about where the waypoints are.

Jak, Not sure who you are mate, but 'surgery' is never a good word to hear, hope it turns out as well as can be expected.
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

Doing the Taffy for the fifth time this year, you would think I would know my way round by now.
For those who haven't been before:
If you haven't got a team mate, don't worry , it will get sorted on Friday night.
Take some fine pointed indelible felt pens, and a ruler, for doing the waypoints on the maps.
The Ancient Brit is pretty high up and in a very rural location, if it aint raining, and it's clear at night, it can get really cold, in 2016 there was a really hard frost ( yes in May). This year spring is late, even when the sun is out , it's cold in the shade. Bring some really warm clothing.........
Ksithumper

Post by Ksithumper »

We are back once again:
- #1 son on yet another 701 common-as-mucksvarna fresh from TET-ing in FrenchFrance
- WildThing on the 610 Husky which amusingly dropped its oil sight glass monocle last year and left an oil slick you can still see from the moon
- yrs truly aboard the almighty 600ATK which has somehow just clattered its way through another MoT with only one advisory (namely - "chuck it in the nearest skip").

Newbies, listen to Steve the G, he knows what he is talking about. In 2016 people went for hot showers at 3am to stave off frostbite (and used all the hot water but that's another story...)

Our merry band , this year entitled the Dafty Fakars, seems to have grown to 10 riders for 2018. Since the rules say teams of just 3, we have expelled Steve the G on account of his funny northern accent and will pretend to disown most of the others as they have more than one cylinder and are not worthy. The organisers will no doubt see through this ruse as usual, and split us all up like the bad kids at school...and then we'll just attract some more hangers-on like last year and we'll end up back at full strength. [This year, dear Lord, please can we have at least one who has a bloody clue about ..well anything really? We already have to cope with WildThing for goodness sake].

After that, we'll all head off to get traditionally and hopelessly lost in a random forest, to straggle back in the dark guided only by the scent of the Ancient Briton's bar. Or maybe barmaid, I dunno.

For 2018 our team strategy is no punctures, no dead bikes, no flames (don't even ask) , more cake stops and even more craic than before. Oh yeah, we are going to return a question sheet this time with at least one correct answer. Maybe.

See y'all there! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Fried Egg Sandwich

Post by Fried Egg Sandwich »

One more sleep folks 🛌😀🏍️🛵⛺🎶🍻
Suzuki DRZ400S
BMW R1150GS
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”