Mobile Phone as Sat Nav for Green Laning

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
bumble beemer

Post by bumble beemer »

I have been using a Garmin with OS maps for some years. Was thinking of moving to a mobile phone with Viewranger maps and quadlock mount. I ride a KTM 690 .

Does anyone have any experience of using this set up ? Pros and Cons ?

I am concerned that a mobile phone is more 'fragile' and may not be up to taking the vibrations (of a KTM) and bumps (of green lanes). My friend had a similar set up and found that after his first 100 mile road ride (riding a KTM and using an Iphone 7 with Google Maps ) the lense inside the phone broke. You could hear it rattling inside the phone! Was this a coincidence or are phones just not up to the job and I should just stick to my sturdy Garmin Montana?
zimtim

Re: Mobile Phone as Sat Nav for Green Laning

Post by zimtim »

Stick with the Montana
Far more durable and waterproof

I believe your phone should be kept on you and not on bike.
If you have accident and are separated from the bike. In spite of your injuries you have to make it back to you bike to call for help. Where as if you are in a ditch with broken limbs at least you have your phone on hand.

Just my thoughts
bumble beemer

Post by bumble beemer »

I totally agree with keeping the phone on you.I was thinking of using a spare old phone with a quadlock pouch and keeping my 'real' phone on my person!
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Hello again,

For anybody who may not know there is an emergency call system which is worth having on your mobile phone, it is referred to as Emergency SMS.

Since 2009 it has been possible to send an SMS text to the emergency services on 999. The service was primarily aimed at deaf and speech impaired people, but it is not restricted to that subset of the population.

Important A voice call to 999 must always be used in preference to a text. (This advice is from BT, who run the 999 and Emergency SMS functions.)

To use the service you must first register, please if you have not already done so do it now whilst you are reading this post, it is a simple process;

1. Send the word "register" to 999
2. You will receive a message about the service
3. When you have read the message, reply with ‘yes’ (in a text message to 999)
4. You will receive a further message confirming registration, or that there has been a problem with registering your phone

At any time you can check whether your phone is registered by sending the word ‘register’ to 999. Similar systems are operated abroad.

To use the Service you just send a descriptive text to 999 and await a reply.
EMS.jpg
EMS.jpg (43.04 KiB) Viewed 6655 times
Do not assume that your message has been received until you receive a reply, which should be in 2 to 3 minutes. If you do not get a reply try repeatedly sending the message again. Maybe even riding down the lane to find better phone signal.

If you do not have a signal on your home network, you may not be able to send a text to 999 but in the background whilst waiting for a signal your phone should keep trying to send it via other phone carriers.

For further details see; http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/files/3649_esms_6.pdf
http://www.nottinghamshire.police.uk/emergencySMS

An alternative signal for help might be to sound a whistle or motorcycle horn, repeating three long blasts per minute . Some might say six but the number does not matter just repeat the same process listening for a response.

TTFN

Hugh.
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

There are quite a few "rugged" Android phones out there. I've used my non rugged but waterproof Moto G3 as a navigation backup for some time.
I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago and bought a Doogee S60 rugged phone specifically for on bike navigation. I'll still keep the Moto in my pocket. Not being too happy with the mounts available I've made my own. Not an engineering masterpiece but it seems to work.
As to software we all prefer that which we are familiar with. I didn't get on with some of the aspects of Viewranger so used OsmAnd on the Moto. I've been experimenting with Locusmaps on the Doogee, so far I like it. Yet to use it in anger on new trails so I'll keep you posted.
The phone in the holder I made. Ignore the crappy screen, I managed to half peel off the screen protector.

Back view with mount in place.

Mount in the "open" position.

On the bike.
Last edited by Paul_C on Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

PS
Following Hugh's post the Doogee phone has a dedicated SOS button on the side. This can be configured to send your message and location to the emergency services and or any number in your contacts list.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Hugh wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:35 am Hello again,

For anybody who may not know there is an emergency call system which is worth having on your mobile phone, it is referred to as Emergency SMS.

Since 2009 it has been possible to send an SMS text to the emergency services on 999. The service was primarily aimed at deaf and speech impaired people, but it is not restricted to that subset of the population.

Important A voice call to 999 must always be used in preference to a text. (This advice is from BT, who run the 999 and Emergency SMS functions.)

To use the service you must first register, please if you have not already done so do it now whilst you are reading this post, it is a simple process;

1. Send the word "register" to 999
2. You will receive a message about the service
3. When you have read the message, reply with ‘yes’ (in a text message to 999)
4. You will receive a further message confirming registration, or that there has been a problem with registering your phone

At any time you can check whether your phone is registered by sending the word ‘register’ to 999. Similar systems are operated abroad.

To use the Service you just send a descriptive text to 999 and await a reply.

EMS.jpg

Do not assume that your message has been received until you receive a reply, which should be in 2 to 3 minutes. If you do not get a reply try repeatedly sending the message again. Maybe even riding down the lane to find better phone signal.

If you do not have a signal on your home network, you may not be able to send a text to 999 but in the background whilst waiting for a signal your phone should keep trying to send it via other phone carriers.

For further details see; http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/files/3649_esms_6.pdf
http://www.nottinghamshire.police.uk/emergencySMS

An alternative signal for help might be to sound a whistle or motorcycle horn, repeating three long blasts per minute . Some might say six but the number does not matter just repeat the same process listening for a response.

TTFN

Hugh.

This is a great idea and i have just registered, thanks Hugh! Also agree with Zimtim my phone is always in my pocket for emergency reasons. Plus its too expensive to take a tumble/get wet!!! i did use my iphone once on a trip to Salisbury Plain in the summer but with the heat of the sun it shut down after about an hour due to overheating! so i only use my garmin montana but it does have a bloody small screen!!! im going to experiment with my tablet in the top of the tank bag next, its a Samsung and i believe it has gps built in, plus the screen is nice and big!
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

You'll also be putting all your eggs in one basket! If your mobile does fail/stop working for any reason, you've not only lost your maps, but also your means of talking to anyone if case of problems.
I do have maps on my phone, but only to refer to when stopped and when there's doubt about where i want to go etc. IE as a lookup - a printed map would do as well (but that won't tell you where you are!).
bowber

Post by bowber »

fatowl wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:01 pm You'll also be putting all your eggs in one basket! If your mobile does fail/stop working for any reason, you've not only lost your maps, but also your means of talking to anyone if case of problems.
I do have maps on my phone, but only to refer to when stopped and when there's doubt about where i want to go etc. IE as a lookup - a printed map would do as well (but that won't tell you where you are!).
You don't use your main phone.
A rugged waterproof phone is way cheaper than any bike satnav and far more useful, I've been using a BV6000s for over a year and it's been dropped, rained on, frozen and done thousands of miles with no problems.
It also works for the whole day on it's battery so I don't have it plugged in (the usb port doesn't like being plugged in all the time) but there are wireless charge adaptors available and people have been fitting them to charge the phone wirelessly, takes a bit of messing though.

Steve
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

bowber wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:24 pm A rugged waterproof phone is way cheaper than any bike satnav and far more useful, I've been using a BV6000s for over a year and it's been dropped, rained on, frozen and done thousands of miles with no problems.
Steve
do you reckon the 3G version would be ok?

Gary.

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”