Mobile Phone as Sat Nav for Green Laning

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
Daglanman

Re: Mobile Phone as Sat Nav for Green Laning

Post by Daglanman »

Totally agree with using mobile for sat nav. Been using various phones over the past 3 years with OSMAND and a second operational phone in pocket with a dupe version of OSMAND (plus maps) loaded. Can't fault it and maps never leave the bag/panniers these days.

I do very few non tramac tracks these days but when I have, the RAM "X" mount (with teather) has been more than sufficient. If you do have a protective case then beware of metal ones as I've found they mess with/reduce the GPS effectiveness, I had to ditch the Yellow holder in the photo due to this problem.

Moo

Post by Moo »

I use an old Samsung S2 (£20 off ebay) with an extended battery (£5ish) and run Viewranger on it. No sim etc inside, just download the area im going to.

Battery usually lasts a whole days trail riding 6/8hours running just of battery, i dont have it hooked up.

Just sits inside a handlebar phone case. At the end of the day, if it gets wrecked, i havent made a big loss :lol:
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

so .. do you need internet access to view viewranger
bowber

Post by bowber »

No, not once you've downloaded everything you want, maps, tracks etc.

Steve
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

mmm .. must try that then, soon ... as it happens I have got an S2 .. good screen and good camera :)
but used to eat the money unless u turn stuff off! .. doh!

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”